Home - 7/30 Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any possible way that Villa thought he would be missing the All Star Game due to yellow card accumulation and would have been fresh to play versus Colorado

That would be hilarious, but no, I think he actually likes playing in the All-Star Game

That's perhaps a little harsh. He's playing in the all star game, so what if Vieira had already told him he was probably going to rest him for the game two days later? Vieira may have already been planning to rest his stars for an "unimportant" game anyway. I don't see Villa sitting out the Saturday game as any sort of a problem, especially as he's playing Thursday.

Not saying this is preferable, but I can totally see Villa standing there in what might become a blowout and saying "fuck it, I'm gonna shake everyone up and maybe put a charge in this bummed out team for the stretch run." You're super worried about Villa missing a game, I'm instead thinking maybe he's permanently won the hearts and minds of that locker room (as if he hadn't already).

Maybe what we saw was Villa being a leader.
Leadership. Well the club just released some technologically groundbreaking BTS video of Villa's mind, revealing his internal thought processes while he decided to ignore the official's 10 yard marking and get himself thrown out of the Colorado game:

That would be hilarious, but no, I think he actually likes playing in the All-Star Game
News: …and that's the weather, now let's get the latest sports. Seems there's been some odd news out of MLS this weekend…

Sports: Thank you, yes, odd MLS news indeed. On the eve of the all star game there were all sorts of shenanigans during this weekend's matches resulting in over a dozen of the league's best players making illegal tackles, starting fights, and even including one assault on a referee. It seems there was a rumor flying around the league's locker rooms that a one-game suspension would result in a player's missing the all star game. Unfortunately this rumor is simply not true and all those suspensions will result in a severe lack of players for next weekend's matches. No one knows the source of the rumor for certain but several unnamed sources point to David Villa of NYCFC and the fact that he recently joined the nycfcforums under an assumed name so, in his words, he could quote "get a feel for what the fans really think" unquote. Villa could not be reached for comment.

Notwithstanding some of the discussion about whether or not Matarrita's injury was serious, he was listed as questionable in the RBNJ injury report based on Vieira's comments last week. Guess we'll see if he trains with the team this week

Notwithstanding some of the discussion about whether or not Matarrita's injury was serious, he was listed as questionable in the RBNJ injury report based on Vieira's comments last week. Guess we'll see if he trains with the team this week
Mata is so huge for us because we are so thin in back. We are replacing him with White or Hernandez and usually switching Allen. We are so much more dangerous with Allen and Mata both capable of attacking down either wing.

Any chance they take Norris's cards away? They were total bullshit. Not that I want him to play, but we need 18.
Agreed. Pretty ironic that the one player we had thrown out during the game did the least to deserve it. I kind of doubt they take the yellows away, but here's hoping.

----McNamara---Harrison---Taylor------
---------Lampard-----Lopez----------------
-------------------Iraola----------------------
--Allen---Brillant---Mena---Hernandez--
----------------Saunders---------------------

Pending our current injuries, and with all the suspensions, and Pirlo in the ASG, is this the lineup?

Originally, I had Ballouchy where Lopez is, though obviously Mix should be filling in that space next to Lampard. The spot belongs to Pirlo, who could be starting, though 45 minutes vs. "Arsenal" two days before this game makes his appearance questionable.

I would be extremely happy with a tie against MLS Cup contenders. A win, I may shit myself. A loss, depending on how we lose, I wouldn't be disappointed.
Didnt Allen pickup a yellow card suspension too?

Villa and Lamps are intent on hitting us over the head with the fact that we're still in first. I wonder if they even realize how badly we are set up to fail for this game because of all the suspensions. If we come out of this next game with a point it will be a miracle. Meanwhile, there are 4 teams, 3 with games in hand, that are hot on our heels. I think it's naïve for them to say shit like this right now:

upload_2016-7-25_9-46-40.png

upload_2016-7-25_9-47-37.png

upload_2016-7-25_9-48-16.png

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/07/25/nycfc-pivot-derby-loss-long-race-playoff-hunt-its-one-game

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
i am excited and scared of this game. jack harrison at CF is kind of sexy. rapids are also a team that is based on defense. we could maybe squeeze out a draw if we maintain poessession but rapids are very good at capitalizing on mistakes which our d and gk love to make.

Villa and Lamps are intent on hitting us over the head with the fact that we're still in first. I think it's naïve for them to say shit like this right now:
There is no perfect statement for them to make. I think you are being unduly harsh. What do you want them to say?

Villa: We sucked. We're gonna lose next week. It's all my fault. Life is shit.
Lampard: Yeah. What assholes we all are.

We ARE top of the table. That does matter. I'm glad they are trying to pick themselves up psychologically. Onward.

Anyone worried about the altitude? We have been bad in challenging environments this year (fatigue/SKC, heat/RBNJ). Some of that is attributable to age, but there's a mental/preparation element too.

510642.gif

Last edited:
----McNamara---Harrison---Taylor------
---------Lampard-----Ballouchy------------
-------------------Iraola----------------------
--Lopez---Brillant---Mena---Hernandez--
----------------Saunders---------------------

EDITED...
Pending our current injuries, and with all the suspensions, and Pirlo in the ASG, is this the lineup?

Aside from the front three and the two CBs, everything is just a guess. I originally had Allen at LB and since he's suspended I had to revise this post. Vieira will be scratching his head over this one.

I would be extremely happy with a tie against MLS Cup contenders. A win, I may shit myself. A loss, depending on how we lose, I wouldn't be disappointed.

Good stuff. This will be the first game in a while that we have to really speculate on lineup. If we don't get Matarrita back, it's trouble right here in River City for sure.
  • My guess is that we will see Martinez at LB - he's been in the 18 a few times recently, so he can't be that much in the doghouse.
  • I kind of agree that Pirlo is unlikely, at least to start.
  • I don't think we see Mikey at fullback as he is not a wide player and is more likely in midfield anyway.
  • One question is whether we see Iraola move back to RB. My guess is that Coach V goes with Hernandez at in that spot.
  • Both Shelton and Mendoza were reported to be close for the last game, so I think one of those start if he can. Otherwise Taylor.
  • I put Harrison back out left since he's done a great job there and the other guys are taller, but how the front is aligned will depend a lot on matchups, I think.
Here is my prediction, which is subject to refinement as the week goes on.

McNamullet----TT/KS/SM-------Harrison
-------Lampard--------------Lopez*-----------
----------------------Iraola-----------------------
Martinez----Brillant---Mena----Hernandez
--------------------Saunders---------------------

* - I would go with Mix, but I am not holding my breath

Status
Not open for further replies.