Jon Stewart Announces He's Leaving The Daily Show

NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
Crazy. I've been watching this show almost from the very beginning.

It's seen better days but still, wow. Sad to see Colbert and Stewart leave.
Jon Stewart is leaving The Daily Show behind. The host, who's been with the show for more than 15 years, announced his departure during his Tuesday taping.
Stewart, who joined the network in 1999, turned the Daily Show into a phenomenon when he stepped into Craig Kilborn's former post. It has spent much of the time since as the highest-rated late-night talk show among younger viewers, and it has become one of the most influential political programs in the U.S. — despite its satirical nature.

Talk of Stewart's time at the network coming to an end first bubbled up in 2013 when he took the summer off to direct his first feature, Rosewater. Upon the film's release last year, Stewart admitted that the job could often be a grind. "I can't say that following the news cycle as closely as we do and trying to convert that into something either joyful or important to us doesn't have its fraught moments," he said. "But there will come a point where I'm sure..."

John Oliver seemed primed for his own vehicle on Comedy Central after pinch-hitting for Stewart during his 2013 break, but he left the network for a deal and weekly series at HBO. Colbert, Oliver and Wilmore all got their biggest exposure from their respective tenures at The Daily Show. Under Stewart's leadership, it served as an incubator for comedic talent only rivaled by Saturday Night Live and notably launched the career of Steve Carell.

If Colbert's exit stung Comedy Central, Stewart's is a sharp blow — albeit an inevitable one. The Daily Show ranks as the cable network's highest-rated program, dominating its time period with adults 18-49 and young men on the four nights a week that it airs. Comedy Central did not respond to questions about the timing of Stewart's exit or plans for a successor, but Ganeless' statement certainly seems to emphasize the network's faith the in franchise.

Reactions: einwindir
Was going to post a thread about it when I finished up with my homework so I'm glad you beat me to it.
Like Ahab_Flanders Ahab_Flanders says, end of an are. I heard CC is planning to keep the show going but there isn't a single person that could replicate what Jon has done. Has been my favorite show for the last 5 or so years and I am very sad to see him leave.
I never really liked Colbert too much, so I didn't care when he left, but this is pretty huge. Stewart, IMO, is one of the best TV personalities ever and the fact that he was able to bring a "comedy" news show to become one of the most respectable broadcasts in the world is a testament to his talent.

Was going to post a thread about it when I finished up with my homework so I'm glad you beat me to it.
Like Ahab_Flanders Ahab_Flanders says, end of an are. I heard CC is planning to keep the show going but there isn't a single person that could replicate what Jon has done. Has been my favorite show for the last 5 or so years and I am very sad to see him leave.
I never really liked Colbert too much, so I didn't care when he left, but this is pretty huge. Stewart, IMO, is one of the best TV personalities ever and the fact that he was able to bring a "comedy" news show to become one of the most respectable broadcasts in the world is a testament to his talent.
Colbert up until ~2010 was way better than the Daily Show at that point. Then I think it started to grind Colbert the way the Daily Show is now grinding Jon Stewart. I think Colbert leaving really put the bug in Stewart's head to leave, too.

Sucks. I'll never forget the Daily Show episode after Geraldo Rivera drew a map of where his unit was in Iraq way back in 2003. That episode will always be my favorite.

Reactions: LostAnvil
Colbert up until ~2010 was way better than the Daily Show at that point. Then I think it started to grind Colbert the way the Daily Show is now grinding Jon Stewart. I think Colbert leaving really put the bug in Stewart's head to leave, too.

Sucks. I'll never forget the Daily Show episode after Geraldo Rivera drew a map of where his unit was in Iraq way back in 2003. That episode will always be my favorite.

Best Stewart monologue ever, hands down.

Man, I remember that like it was yesterday.

Seriously cannot believe its been 13 years ago, now approaching 14. It was my first week of high school!

I started watching both around 2009/2010, so maybe that's why I didn't really like the Colbert Report. I always thought it was too sarcastic and off the wall, where as the Daily Show felt more like actual news.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...d-to-take-over-for-jon-stewart-on-daily-show/

Comedy Central announces that Trevor Noah has been selected to take over for Stewart.

Terrible decision, in my opinion.

I think the person that takes over needs to be a bigger star, but that could just be me.
I respectfully disagree - having a well-known person take his place brings along too much history and baggage - when Jon got the gig, he was (for the most part) an unknown - I was hoping for a younger person to take his place that didn't have a household-name

I really think Trevor is going to do a great job - from what little I've seen of him, he has incredible potential and appears to be extremely intelligent

I respectfully disagree - having a well-known person take his place brings along too much history and baggage - when Jon got the gig, he was (for the most part) an unknown - I was hoping for a younger person to take his place that didn't have a household-name

I really think Trevor is going to do a great job - from what little I've seen of him, he has incredible potential and appears to be extremely intelligent
I can see it from that side too!
I don't think anyone can do what Stewart did so it should be interesting to see regardless!

I can see it from that side too!
I don't think anyone can do what Stewart did so it should be interesting to see regardless!
Oh, without a doubt - dude was there for over a decade - the transition should be interesting

just happy that Oliver got his own gig before this - he's better suited for the unfiltered platform that is HBO

Oh, without a doubt - dude was there for over a decade - the transition should be interesting

just happy that Oliver got his own gig before this - he's better suited for the unfiltered platform that is HBO
Really hope they expand his show. It's hilarious and way too short.

I was watching a clip earlier and I think the show still has its appeal. There was something so raw about Jon Stewart in that he was smart, funny, acerbic, informed, a good debater. Generally a great mix for what that show became.

Noah is good; funny, earnest and able to be straightforward when needed. I'd say overall the show still has a lot of its charm and though a lot of people may have stopped watching after Stewart left, it's still likely to be a go-to place for news for a lot of "the young people."