Al Dukes Is An Idiot. Just Called Wfan To Talk About The Derby

The lack of soccer radio is why I spend $240 a year for satellite radio with SiriusXM FC.... Sigh

It won't really help you for MLS, but I know there are places on the internet where you can listen to British radio stations anywhere in the world, and we have a good few sports channels which naturally have football as their primary subject of interest.

It won't really help you for MLS, but I know there are places on the internet where you can listen to British radio stations anywhere in the world, and we have a good few sports channels which naturally have football as their primary subject of interest.
Does 24 hr sports radio exist in the UK? Id love to call in and discuss footie whenever I had the extra money for my long distance calls.

Sometimes WFAN gets calls from Americans in Europe, or Europeans who happened to have taken a liking to an American sport. Both are rare occurences, but it makes me smile. That said, there is one regular to the overnight show who's Irish and living in Manhattan I believe...and I love his passion for our sports.

Does 24 hr sports radio exist in the UK? Id love to call in and discuss footie whenever I had the extra money for my long distance calls.

Sometimes WFAN gets calls from Americans in Europe, or Europeans who happened to have taken a liking to an American sport. Both are rare occurences, but it makes me smile. That said, there is one regular to the overnight show who's Irish and living in Manhattan I believe...and I love his passion for our sports.

Yep. For those poor souls having to drive cross-country at 3am, or who work graveyard shifts. Technically, UK radio stations aren't supposed to be accessible outside of the UK so they might get a bit confused at you calling up from a US number, though. They might just be curious enough to let it go, though.

That said, I've never listened to late-night radio, so I can't vouch for just how decent the programming is, and how much it's just them filling out a slot.

I love sports talk radio. Your first mistake was listening to WFAN, their shows are, by and large, awful. Carton is a buffoon.

Anyway, while we may all love soccer and MLS, it's just not the case with most of the country. Most sports fans don't want to hear about it. NYCFC would have to consistently sell out Yankee Stadium for it to even be a blip on their radar and even then they probably wouldn't discuss it.

Perfect example - sports talk will rarely talk hockey but now that the Rangers have had several successful seasons it is becoming a bigger topic of discussion, especially on the Michael Kay Show, which I think has the best current sports talk guys in the business and ones more likely to branch out. When NYCFC have a deep playoff run (not anytime soon obviously), it will be brought up for sure.

Baby steps, people.

Reactions: Shotofjmoh
I love sports talk radio. Your first mistake was listening to WFAN, their shows are, by and large, awful. Carton is a buffoon.

Anyway, while we may all love soccer and MLS, it's just not the case with most of the country. Most sports fans don't want to hear about it. NYCFC would have to consistently sell out Yankee Stadium for it to even be a blip on their radar and even then they probably wouldn't discuss it.

Perfect example - sports talk will rarely talk hockey but now that the Rangers have had several successful seasons it is becoming a bigger topic of discussion, especially on the Michael Kay Show, which I think has the best current sports talk guys in the business and ones more likely to branch out. When NYCFC have a deep playoff run (not anytime soon obviously), it will be brought up for sure.

Baby steps, people.
One of my in laws is a long time sports talk radio guy currently with a show on Sirius. He has more disdain for soccer than anyone I've ever known.

He regularly claims that if he was on the field no one would be able to tell if he was better or worse than any of the other players.

The only thing he's ever acknowledged liking about soccer is the relegation system. Said he'd love to see the Knicks go down to the D League.

I do like the late night/overnight guys though. They're really into both radio and sports.

Disclaimer: majored in radio at NYU back in the day. (And a dual major in psychology, but whatevs.)

Radio is dead. Who the fuck listens to talk radio on a daily basis other than old men?

Best thing to do it call them all out on Twitter and include NYCFC. No one might respond, but they'll definitely see it.[/Q

I do have to disagree with you on this. I agree technology has changed, however what powers all of our electronic gadgets is electricity which in a power outage no matter how much it cost or if the latest thing it becomes completely useless and worthless . Imagine this scenario: You are watching the final for the World cup and there it is a " Sandy" type of hurricane / storm and all of a sudden the lights go out and no way to get the TV; laptop; tablet or whatever on...

I sometimes do listen to soccer games on the radio. I may be busy running errands or just out of home and do not want to miss the game, other times my cable plan charges extra like MLS kicks which I don't want to pay ; I may be driving , or be in an office waiting and having a small radio with headphones one can discreetly listen without being annoying to anyone. Of course I may get so excited when my team score I may forget where I am and scream GOOOOL. However one caveat to this is that I don't know if there are English transmission of soccer games. I do know for sure there are 2 Spanish radio stations that transmit NYCFC games. And old women do listen too;)