Khiry Shelton [Forward]

He looked really out of sorts when he came back at the end of the year though, in fairness, he'd been out a long time. Hugely important player for us because at the beginning of the year he was a genuine match changer when he came on as a sub.

Shelton wasn't getting much service in the first half but he looked pretty good. Not great but not bad either. He really should have gotten that foul call when he went one on one with the defender. Would have set up a dangerous free kick.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Shelton wasn't getting much service in the first half but he looked pretty good. Not great but not bad either. He really should have gotten that foul call when he went one on one with the defender. Would have set up a dangerous free kick.

I have to disagree. I thought he was absolutely atrocious. His touch, his positioning, his movement were all noticeably bad. Okay. I mean, I thought it was awful. Like, I thought he was equally bad to Pollster and Okaoakskwhdnashitfullback.

I actually took it as a vindication of him not getting time when healthy.

Reactions: Paul
I have to disagree. I thought he was absolutely atrocious. His touch, his positioning, his movement were all noticeably bad. Okay. I mean, I thought it was awful. Like, I thought he was equally bad to Pollster and Okaoakskwhdnashitfullback.

My post was made at halftime and I thought he was much worse in the 2nd half. Maybe I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the 1st. Agreed about the first touch; there were numerous times in the 2nd half where he just gave the ball away immediately upon receiving a pass.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan

So I guess we'll have to drop him then.

So I guess we'll have to drop him then.
He may grow into a decent MLS-level sub option. But it was (and has been to me) abundantly clear that he is light years behind Mullins.

He is just really technically & tactically deficient, I can't see him being of much use other than a late game speed option to run at tired legs.

I know you're trying to be cute. What I don't understand is why or how you could be so bad at it.

Reactions: Gavin23
My post was made at halftime and I thought he was much worse in the 2nd half. Maybe I gave him the benefit of the doubt in the 1st. Agreed about the first touch; there were numerous times in the 2nd half where he just gave the ball away immediately upon receiving a pass.
Interesting..... I came in the last 3 minutes of regulation, and one of the first plays I saw with him was when he posted up and headed down a long ball right in front of two US players in the box..... my immediate thought was, "I'll be damned - he can head the ball." I then shook my head as the closest US attacker (this is a misnomer as they were essentially on top of each other) proceeded to hog the shot when he was too close for proper contact and the kid behind him (Zelalem?) could have hit it in stride.

Still though, a perfect dish-off that should have been converted for a goal.

He may grow into a decent MLS-level sub option. But it was (and has been to me) abundantly clear that he is light years behind Mullins.

He is just really technically & tactically deficient, I can't see him being of much use other than a late game speed option to run at tired legs.

I know you're trying to be cute. What I don't understand is why or how you could be so bad at it.
Shelton's biggest problem as a forward is that he won't shoot. With the exception of the game he got the goal, every time he gets to the box he looks to pass, not head to the net. Getting an assist is not a bad thing for a forward, but shooting should be any forward's knee-jerk reaction before the mind tries to decide what to do. Passing could have been the instructions Kreis gave as it always seems like we tried to pass the ball in to the box rather than a cross or a dribble, or hell a longer-range shot.... so I'm not sure who is to "blame" for his lack of shooting. That said, his passing was horrible the last game and I'm hoping that ability hasn't crested the peak (yes, the sky isn't falling, but his play in the game was head-scratching at best).

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Interesting..... I came in the last 3 minutes of regulation, and one of the first plays I saw with him was when he posted up and headed down a long ball right in front of two US players in the box..... my immediate thought was, "I'll be damned - he can head the ball." I then shook my head as the closest US attacker (this is a misnomer as they were essentially on top of each other) proceeded to hog the shot when he was too close for proper contact and the kid behind him (Zelalem?) could have hit it in stride.

Still though, a perfect dish-off that should have been converted for a goal.

Again, in the 1st half Khiry rarely touched the ball (same for Zelalem) but when he did receive it in space he tried to knock it on and run past the defender. On one occasion he would have been successful and found himself 1-on-1 with the keeper if not for a foul that went uncalled about 20-25 yards from goal. In the 2nd half he was playing a role which called for him to hold up play and he lost the ball on his first touch at least 5 times in the 2nd half alone (and quite possibly closer to 10 times). However, on a couple of occasions he ran down the ball and won it back for the US after having lost it. There's no question that he is fast -- he was one of the quickest players out there against a good Brazilian side. If he can develop his skills with the ball at his feet he will be a good MLS player. As for shooting, I don't recall him having any decent opportunity to do so last night.

I guess I'll leave cute for you , Dad. Or is it drunk uncle?

Anyways, you piss on every player for everything. So I just expect you to drop on Khiry now. The whole USA team sucked yesterday, and when your playing one forward against Brazilian youth, yes it is difficult.

Shelton has a future but it's not a starter yet in MLS.

I guess I'll leave cute for you , Dad. Or is it drunk uncle?

Anyways, you piss on every player for everything. So I just expect you to drop on Khiry now. The whole USA team sucked yesterday, and when your playing one forward against Brazilian youth, yes it is difficult.

Shelton has a future but it's not a starter yet in MLS.
Call me whatever you want, except "the self-annointed genius who wanders around looking for ways to re-state the obvious." I won't step on your dibs.

Reactions: Gavin23