Leagues Cup - August 9 - New England (Away)

LionNYC

Registered
Staff member
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
New York, NY
Round of 32
New England Revolution vs. New York City FC
Friday, August 9, 7:30 PM ET
Gillette Stadium
Apple TV (MLS Season Pass)

so with our embarrassing loss in cinci, we are now in probably the toughest part of the bracket. if we somehow make it to the final, it'll be an impressive feat. i'm pretty sure we could beat the revs. but tigres or pachuca will be a tough battle. i don't think martins and risa are up to handling rondon or ginac.

Reactions: gbservis
so with our embarrassing loss in cinci, we are now in probably the toughest part of the bracket. if we somehow make it to the final, it'll be an impressive feat. i'm pretty sure we could beat the revs. but tigres or pachuca will be a tough battle. i don't think martins and risa are up to handling rondon or ginac.
If I understand the home field rules (a big if) we would host Tigres or Pacheco if we get there, but in the other bracket would only host that round if Montreal beats Philly. OTOH if we held the lead we’d be at RBA* this round.

* Statistically a de minimis difference in advantage compared to the baseball fields.

I still can’t quite believe that’s where Ginac has chosen to spend this much of his career . He was on marseille the year I spent a month there but got injured just before I went so missed all 4 matches I attended, I was not happy about that .

Reactions: Kenny
Judging by Ticketmaster, if I go to the game tonight, I might be the only person there.

Anyone else going/thinking of going?
With the tropical storm, short notice, Friday night, this could be one of the smallest northeast away crowds we've ever had.

I don't know where these attendance stats that MLS is pulling from that is 30% increase YoY.

With the tropical storm, short notice, Friday night, this could be one of the smallest northeast away crowds we've ever had.

I don't know where these attendance stats that MLS is pulling from that is 30% increase YoY.

The regular-season has seen increased attendance. We are up pretty substantially in the regular season.

Our Leagues Cup attendance at Yankee Stadium was the lowest-attended game of the season, and that seems to be a leaguewide theme.

Reactions: LionNYC
I know Barraza is clearly the "cup goalkeeper" but I really think that now that we're in the knockouts Freese should be starting.

I know Barraza is clearly the "cup goalkeeper" but I really think that now that we're in the knockouts Freese should be starting.

in his interview, barraza said he had the talk with cushing and was told he would "get the tournament" so it's pretty much set that he'll start every game in leagues cup unless he's injured.

i'd be more concerned with how we're defending. big gaping holes and lack of defensive effort/focus just because we make a few subs should not be happening.

i'm curious how nick will play this game. if we advance, we play tigres on short rest and they will have had more rest. of course, you have to play the game in front of you. if i were nick, i'd play the strongest 11, which right now may be with santi and maxi floating between the 10 and left wing, martinez at striker and wolf on the right?

Reactions: Kenny
I don't want Barraza starting in MLS Cup....:p

he seems like a great guy, but he does not exude any confidence in goal. even when playing the ball out with his feet, i'm not super confident with him those times either and if i recall correctly, that was the whole reason he was picked in the draft.

Reactions: Schwallacus
in his interview, barraza said he had the talk with cushing and was told he would "get the tournament" so it's pretty much set that he'll start every game in leagues cup unless he's injured.

i'd be more concerned with how we're defending. big gaping holes and lack of defensive effort/focus just because we make a few subs should not be happening.

i'm curious how nick will play this game. if we advance, we play tigres on short rest and they will have had more rest. of course, you have to play the game in front of you. if i were nick, i'd play the strongest 11, which right now may be with santi and maxi floating between the 10 and left wing, martinez at striker and wolf on the right?

He rotated against Cincy, so I would expect to see the first-choice team tonight. Approach Tigres when you get there.

He rotated against Cincy, so I would expect to see the first-choice team tonight. Approach Tigres when you get there.
My 2 cents on our defense is that they are solidly mediocre and have a bunch of mental lapses every game. Freese is so much better that he does two things: stops most of the shots that get past the defenders and gives confidence for them to take risks therefore making them look better.

I only started watching/attending games last season and became a STH in July 2023 so it’s a smaller window of having watched all of them. I was only a few games into my tenor as a fan and couldn’t wait for Baraza to not be in goal.

he seems like a great guy, but he does not exude any confidence in goal. even when playing the ball out with his feet, i'm not super confident with him those times either and if i recall correctly, that was the whole reason he was picked in the draft.

Confidence is the key word. When a lineup is released, I may prefer certain players to others, but Barraza for Freese gives me the “oof” more than any selection, at least since a circa 2016 lineup without Villa.

My wife coined the term “a Barraza” for any time a goalie fumbles the ball on a catch regardless of which game we are watching.

Some players get the Cruyff Turn. Others get The Barraza.

Alexa: Play Native New Yorker.

I know it was another Cushing Masterclass. I know we're all sick of playing differently on the road than we do at home, but screw it. We won and advanced, and I'll never complain about a tournament win. Survive and advance.

Reactions: Shwafta