Mix To Nycfc! [unconfirmed Rumor]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great point, Kubah. MLS really needs to get players like him in MLS early. They have to start attracting quality young players early so that the youth start aspiring to MLS.

I am confused why people are saying that Mix is not worth a DP contract. According to transfermarkt.com, Mix is valued over $1.65 million USD. I remember reading that Mix turned down previous MLS contracts around the $1M range.

If MLS teams want to attract good young players entering their prime they have to spend money. Sometimes you have to take a risk on up-and-coming talent or you are going to be stuck with a roster of DPs on the wrong side of 30. I am glad to hear that it appears that allocation money will be used to pay down the contact amount, but you have to make this move regardless of money or DP slot if you believe Mix is going to be a top player in the MLS.
Mix's talent level doesn't justify a DP contract for a team with pockets as big as CFG has.

DP contracts should be used on guys like Villa, De Rossi, and *gulp* Lampard.

You're not going to get a guy who is exactly as talented as Mix, but you can get a guy who plays a similar role for less. You want a guy who is way above replacement level in terms of value (250K), and not necessarily just close enough to replacement level to justify a DP contract.

He's a valuable player, but may not be valuable enough against the replacement player to justify his wages.

Reactions: LostAnvil
NYCFC needs to capitalize on the success of the World Cup in the US and Mix is a guy they can get on the cheaper side but his name still holds enough weight to warrant attention. Just pay the man
I hear that argument - I just feel that titles in salary capped leagues are won based on efficiently filling that salary cap. Overpaying a guy due to USMNT status is one of the greatest market inefficiencies in MLS today.

Mix is a good player, and a valuable young USMNT guy. But this club doesn't necessarily have to sign USMNT guys to sell tickets, and there are players out there who do what he does (for cheaper). If he falls out of favor with Jurgen (due to a guy like Tommy Thompson holding down that #10 spot), you're left with a bad contract.

This is all opinion, and there are all kinds of arguments to be made here. Best case scenario - we get a really good player with recognition under the salary cap. That's fantastic.

Does being a DP have to mean so much? If NYCFC signed Mix under the cap and then repped him like a DP, wouldn't it bring in all the benefits of having a high-profile USMNT player with none of the financial outlay of having a DP?

Reactions: Kjbert
Does being a DP have to mean so much? If NYCFC signed Mix under the cap and then repped him like a DP, wouldn't it bring in all the benefits of having a high-profile USMNT player with none of the financial outlay of having a DP?
They are quite a few USMNTers that are not DPs.

Reactions: Kjbert
They are quite a few USMNTers that are not DPs.

OK, granted, but I was responding to the way some people seem to think that he needs to be a DP, as if it's going to devalue him or make him play worse to get him under the cap. I'm trying to work out whether it's just a case of people saying that Mix deserves to be paid DP money, or if the conception of DPs in the US is that if you sign a high-profile player below the cap that it somehow makes them less of a draw for the team?

Reactions: doctorhoosier
I say give Mix whatever contract, DP or not to get it done, as long as it isn't absurd amounts of money. We have 3 DP slots now, but who knows if thats going to stay like that. If he will come on a non-DP contract, i'll be thrilled, if he comes on a DP contract, fine I will still welcome him and think it is a great addition.

Really if he isn't a DP, I think it will be more he is making DP-level money, however he won't be on a DP slot.

OK, granted, but I was responding to the way some people seem to think that he needs to be a DP, as if it's going to devalue him or make him play worse to get him under the cap. I'm trying to work out whether it's just a case of people saying that Mix deserves to be paid DP money, or if the conception of DPs in the US is that if you sign a high-profile player below the cap that it somehow makes them less of a draw for the team?
Keeping in mind the cap could go up and they could add a DP in the CBA, a player of his caliber could command $1.16 million and right now that is DP money.

What young DPs like Mix bring is that in 2-3 years they will still be in their prime unlike Villa and others who are already fading. Look at Henry... great player last year for about 10-15 minutes per game last year. The rest of the time he was a liability or invisible.

I understand DP slots are valuable because they are only 3, but you can't expect to build a team around older stars. You have to take chances and Mix is worth it... just like Bedoya or Jozy would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.