MLS Cup Playoffs - December 5 - Philadelphia (Away)

I saw this on Instagram

if this is true, that is pretty bad and they have no excuse for being so irresponsible. it's one thing if it's regular season (even then as a professional they should be careful considering MLS policies with covid right now), but before the conf finals? that's just idiotic if they decided to all go to a party.

Reactions: Victors87
if this is true, that is pretty bad and they have no excuse for being so irresponsible. it's one thing if it's regular season (even then as a professional they should be careful considering MLS policies with covid right now), but before the conf finals? that's just idiotic if they decided to all go to a party.
"Party" is often a broad term. If they went out with a bunch of old college buddies, yikes. If a players daughter's first birthday party drew 10 people to a house for an hour....that's just bad luck.

according to relevant portion of the MLS health and safety protocol, players are given PCR tests the day before the match for home games. So, if the players currently isolating test tomorrow and have a negative test, they'll be eligible to play. MLS uses 2 tests to confirm the positive result with required isolation after a first positive test.

clubs are expected to use a local testing provider that can turn tests around within 24 hours or less. Ideally, 12 hours.

according to relevant portion of the MLS health and safety protocol, players are given PCR tests the day before the match for home games. So, if the players currently isolating test tomorrow and have a negative test, they'll be eligible to play. MLS uses 2 tests to confirm the positive result with required isolation after a first positive test.

clubs are expected to use a local testing provider that can turn tests around within 24 hours or less. Ideally, 12 hours.

Watch MLS change the protocol so Philly players can play so the MLS Cup isn't in Yankee Stadium.

Don’t forget that they could also be actually sick and showing symptoms which definitely means that they cant play… now I’m feeling some mixed emotions. On one hand I want to win fair and square in a fair fight. But it already doesn’t feel fair without Taty. (But it can be said it is fair without him because Taty made the boneheaded mistake to begin with.) On the other hand I want to win MLS cup and playing a depleted team without their starting defense sounds like a sure fire way to tilt the odds in your favor, especially in penalties against a back up goal keeper. I just don’t know how to feel. I guess we will see who’s available soon enough.

Don’t forget that they could also be actually sick and showing symptoms which definitely means that they cant play… now I’m feeling some mixed emotions. On one hand I want to win fair and square in a fair fight. But it already doesn’t feel fair without Taty. (But it can be said it is fair without him because Taty made the boneheaded mistake to begin with.) On the other hand I want to win MLS cup and playing a depleted team without their starting defense sounds like a sure fire way to tilt the odds in your favor, especially in penalties against a back up goal keeper. I just don’t know how to feel. I guess we will see who’s available soon enough.

i hear you. would have been perfect if we were both at full strength. but it is what it is. gotta play the team in front of you. just as they would have had to play the team in front of them - us missing taty, anton, parks, and a potentially hobbly sands.

just let RSL win and hopefully the gods will be in our favor, there are no MLS conspiracies, and MLS cup will come to the bronx!

"Party" is often a broad term. If they went out with a bunch of old college buddies, yikes. If a players daughter's first birthday party drew 10 people to a house for an hour....that's just bad luck.
9E7D7827-ABE1-41A3-90CC-BC1932D2A06B.png

I’m curious what is considered high risk Behavior and if these players had partaken in that kind of activity then I think regardless if any of them teat positive it would appear they can’t play.

edit: that may also only be the case if they are unvaccinated which makes it even less clear what the rules are currently

Reactions: Kjbert
If they indeed got COVID because they went to a party, I feel a lot less bad about the situation. Don't want anyone to get sick, and want to face them at full strength, but if they did it to themselves, then that's on them.

View attachment 11613

I’m curious what is considered high risk Behavior and if these players had partaken in that kind of activity then I think regardless if any of them teat positive it would appear they can’t play.

edit: that may also only be the case if they are unvaccinated which makes it even less clear what the rules are currently

If they were under the protocol for high risk behavior within the meaning of the description, they would be quarantining but likely testing negative and training on their own. but in this case, the team had to cancel training entirely. this likely means a good number of players tested positive and they needed to be figures out who is positive so they could have training.

if they tested positive, then they simply need to test negative today (saturday) and they can play. if they test positive again, they're out.

we'll probably know more later today (saturday).

If they indeed got COVID because they went to a party, I feel a lot less bad about the situation. Don't want anyone to get sick, and want to face them at full strength, but if they did it to themselves, then that's on them.

as 4 413Blue mentioned, it depends on the kind of party. things happen. people don't always wear their masks properly. maybe not everyone is vaxed. but even if all are vaxed and masked, there's still a chance of transmission in close enough distances, indoor or outdoor. if they went to a small group bday party at someone's house, it's hard to blame them for being "high risk". you could argue either way that as a pro with a big game on the line, you don't want to take any risk no matter how small.. but not everyone thinks that way.

if they went to a rave like party or club, then yea. i agree with you. they screwed themselves and we shouldn't feel bad at all.

I didn’t whine when Tinnerholm and Keaton were hurt, or when Taty got 2 yellows. I’m not going to apologize or feel bad if some Union players are out (even if it’s a lot). Won’t gloat either.
Just hope everyone heals, watch the game and what happens happens.

Last edited:
I hear that… been teetering between:
just want to win so I’ll welcome any advantage
And
Want the best possible match clash of Titans on road to MLS cup
As is often said today, it is what it is…The damn Covid thing is a part of the game now.

On a somewhat related note, if someone said
at the beginning of the year that NYCFC would make the playoffs but Anton, Keaton and Heber would be unavailable in a game against the Supporters shield all time points in a season team…
Now add Taty into that equation against the second place team in the East.
Dramatic storyline.

I think MLS should want a final at the Stadium.
Historic venue, Capital of the World…
The storyline is better.

Unkel and crew were the ones who missed the glad handball sending rsl into the playoffs right?

Yeap. Sounds like they're on task for another mission...

But could it be they wanted to make it nycfc v rsl?

Good news, bad news from the Ilsinho Twitch stream, but he seems mostly happy?

I deleted the link. Don't know how to turn off the autoplay. Even tried putting it inside a spoiler and it still plays. But it's from the r/PhillyUnion subreddit. Ilsinho says teases with good news and bad but says he can’t say anything yet.

Also Philly fans are going over every training video people took on phones from 500 yards away like it's the Zapruder film trying to spot guys. Some think they saw both CBs, but far from clear. Measure this against some Instagram rando who has 0 posts but claims his work buddy knows some players and we're just going to have to wait. Though some Union fans seem to think there will be some more info coming out today. Also, to be fair, the Insta rando has >100 followers and follows >200 himself so it's probably not a bot or troll. Looks like a common type of young person's account which they use to just follow some public figures and use the messaging feature with friends.

Last edited:
So NYCFC got 450 tickets and only distributed 200 to supporters?
I don't trust any of the numbers being thrown around any more. Ian reported very different numbers the day before. And if those numbers are correct Sanchez has no idea what the club did with them, how they got them, or the club's ability to buy chunks of seats on the open market for staff, friends and family.

Last edited:
Good news, bad news from the Ilsinho Twitch stream, but he seems mostly happy?

Also Philly fans are going over every training video people took on phones from 500 yards away like it's the Zapruder film trying to spot guys. Some think they saw both CBs, but far from clear. Measure this against some Instagram rando who has 0 posts but claims his work buddy knows some players and we're just going to have to wait. Though some Union fans seem to think there will be some more info coming out today. Also, to be fair, the Insta rando has >100 followers and follows >200 himself so it's probably not a bot or troll. Looks like a common type of young person's account which they use to just follow some public figures and use the messaging feature with friends.

Good news: I just got an awesome loot crate with my buddies Glesnes, Elliot, Martinez, Blake, and Bedoya!! unboxing on Sunday at 3pm! Tune in!
Bad news: I am uneligible to play tomorrow.