MLS Cup Playoffs - December 5 - Philadelphia (Away)

I saw another tweet or Facebook post yesterday while searching where some of their fans were threatening any of their fellow sth's who's seats fall into enemy hands!

damn that bad? did nycfc fans start buying up tickets as soon as callens penalty go in and the next morning the union fans were caught sleeping and had many tickets sold already.

So thinking more about the actual game, you have to hope NYCFC didn’t expound so much energy beating the Revs that they don’t have anything left.

The Revs are so much better than Philly it’s ridiculous. Philly doesn’t have one player as good as Turner, Tajon, Bou, Gil or Buksa. (You can argue a push with Blake / Turner). It really is a battle of the collective vs individual brilliance.

thats a concern, three extra days rest for them. plus they usually play counter so they are not the ones using as much energy.

damn that bad? did nycfc fans start buying up tickets as soon as callens penalty go in and the next morning the union fans were caught sleeping and had many tickets sold already.
Possibly. I posted the link on here within an hour of pur game ended. At that point it seemed like there were a good number of seats available. Probably not thousands but somewhere between 400-2000 I think, I didn't look at every section. By the morning it was standing room only then sold out by afternoon I think.

Reactions: Victors87
Possibly. I posted the link on here within an hour of pur game ended. At that point it seemed like there were a good number of seats available. Probably not thousands but somewhere between 400-2000 I think, I didn't look at every section. By the morning it was standing room only then sold out by afternoon I think.

the link made it to nycfc reddit but i thought it was not as active as here.

Reactions: Kjbert
I feel like I'm missing something in all of this. Why does the number of tickets allocated to the team matter when anyone can just go online and buy a ticket? I could understand the outrage if the only way to get in the stadium for an NYCFC fan was via these allocated tickets but we are all free to buy tickets the same way philly fans are directly through the website. Are the supporter's tickets significantly cheaper or is it about being in the away section so everyone is together? Sorry if I'm being dense I am just not understanding the level of conversation this is causing.

Away supporters are cheaper, but it's also a safety thing to keep fans separated since there can sometimes be issues. So by doing it this way, fans are going to find their way in and sit with the Philly fans, and there could be issues. Especially if lots of fans make the trip.

Obviously we were never getting 2,000 tickets. That's a lot. But surely Philly should have done better than under 200.

Away supporters are cheaper, but it's also a safety thing to keep fans separated since there can sometimes be issues. So by doing it this way, fans are going to find their way in and sit with the Philly fans, and there could be issues. Especially if lots of fans make the trip.

Obviously we were never getting 2,000 tickets. That's a lot. But surely Philly should have done better than under 200.
Exactly this! The point of an away supporter section is that most to all traveling fans are together and protected with security near/around them. I'm guessing there will be at least 100-200 additionally NYCFC fans sitting elsewhere for this match. I hope there aren't idiotic Union fans attending that would attack an NYCFC fan sitting elsewhere, but be aware of your surroundings.

Additionally, it's going to be tense within 133 (the away supporter section) as there will be Philadelphia fans sitting in the front rows and then probably one row for a security barrier barrier and then 200 NYCFC fans behind.

While I wish they did more, I think the 100 league minimum rule is intended for club friends/family/staff and not supporters.

This is their biggest home game in their history I believe. How pissed would you be if we were hosting and you got shut out because they gave a few hundred extras to the visiting fans? (Obviously we dont play in an 18k stadium, but you can understand their point of view)

I feel like I'm missing something in all of this. Why does the number of tickets allocated to the team matter when anyone can just go online and buy a ticket? I could understand the outrage if the only way to get in the stadium for an NYCFC fan was via these allocated tickets but we are all free to buy tickets the same way philly fans are directly through the website. Are the supporter's tickets significantly cheaper or is it about being in the away section so everyone is together? Sorry if I'm being dense I am just not understanding the level of conversation this is causing.

I think the qualm is that the amount of tickets guaranteed to away supporters is not very equitable around the league. It’s almost bush league-esque to attempt to keep traveling supporters out of your stadium like Philly is doing. I’m not saying it need to be equal around the league but perhaps make it more equitable. Say the revs gave the team 2,000 tickets in a 45,000 seat stadium. Then Philly who also has a 45,000 seat stadium comes along and only offers 200 tickets. The demand hasn’t changed but the supply definitely has. There’s an obvious disconnect. Now Obviously the revs (and ourselves) are in larger stadiums so it’s easier to give extra seats to the opponent’s fans than Philly in a smaller stadium. But maybe it’s should be that each team must set aside 2-5% of their stadium to traveling supporters based on some metric that I’m not paid enough to figure out. It’s just a little like they are scared to have us come in their building at all. It’s comical.

While I wish they did more, I think the 100 league minimum rule is intended for club friends/family/staff and not supporters.

This is their biggest home game in their history I believe. How pissed would you be if we were hosting and you got shut out because they gave a few hundred extras to the visiting fans? (Obviously we dont play in an 18k stadium, but you can understand their point of view)
Yeah, I can't get too worked up. The league has rules and while maybe those should change I can't fault a team with a small stadium for hewing to the minimum. I was more critical of Atlanta hosting MLS cup final in a 70k stadium and giving Portland something line 1,500 tickets I think.

Exactly this! The point of an away supporter section is that most to all traveling fans are together and protected with security near/around them. I'm guessing there will be at least 100-200 additionally NYCFC fans sitting elsewhere for this match. I hope there aren't idiotic Union fans attending that would attack an NYCFC fan sitting elsewhere, but be aware of your surroundings.

Additionally, it's going to be tense within 133 (the away supporter section) as there will be Philadelphia fans sitting in the front rows and then probably one row for a security barrier barrier and then 200 NYCFC fans behind.

never under estimate the ability of a philly sports fan to act like a total idiot/asshole.

Ian tweeted that the NYCFC FO asked for 2,000 tickets. Obviously they weren't getting that. But only 200 tickets is pretty ridiculous, and I hope we reciprocate if we're ever in the same situation. This is complete BS. Obviously it serves the Union to have as many of their fans in the house and they have a smaller stadium, but they could have -- and should have -- done better than 200 tickets. Hopefully this situation forces MLS to evaluate its policies, because this is not a good way to do business.

Had they even given us 500 tickets, I don't think we're seeing the outrage that we're seeing. 200 is just laughable for a conference final. The league should absolutely have different policies in the playoffs, especially in the East where you're so much more likely to have teams be so close to each other.

RBNJ was allocated 500 tickets for their first round playoff game in PHL. Should have been 500 for this one and I don’t think you see any of the outrage.

Reactions: Kjbert

4/5 pick Philly to win. 4/5 pick RSL to win.

man almost everyone is writing portland out i dont know why, yes they missing their best player and RSL getting their best but its still portland and Rusnak has not played in like a month he is not match fit

That makes sense, but it's also a bit sad that it's needed. All the other American professional sports seem to have no issue co-mingling fan bases without all these extraordinary safety measures. Go to a knicks game when they play golden state and half the stands have Curry jerseys on. It's a much broader conversation that is probably not right for this thread but it's a bit pathetic of the MLS fan base as a whole that people can't conduct themselves in a way that doesn't require significant safety interventions to protect fans from each other. We have no long-term club roots in this country, there was really no need to adapt all aspects of global soccer culture, especially the shitty ones like hooliganism.

That makes sense, but it's also a bit sad that it's needed. All the other American professional sports seem to have no issue co-mingling fan bases without all these extraordinary safety measures. Go to a knicks game when they play golden state and half the stands have Curry jerseys on. It's a much broader conversation that is probably not right for this thread but it's a bit pathetic of the MLS fan base as a whole that people can't conduct themselves in a way that doesn't require significant safety interventions to protect fans from each other. We have no long-term club roots in this country, there was really no need to adapt all aspects of global soccer culture, especially the shitty ones like hooliganism.

i dont think a knicks vs golden state is the right example. maybe knicks vs brooklyn or knicks vs atlanta and here and there stuff may happen. i also dont think its strictly a soccer thing, look at the NFL and countless times there has been issues in the stands and all the videos we see surface on internet. I mean a eagles vs giants is not all peaceful. even MLB has had its issues.

i honestly think, and this is just my personal opinion, this issue happens more in certain cities than others. when we played atlanta in the first round, i was practically surrounded by atlanta fans and there were no issues with them sitting there and cheering. no one was giving them a hard time or anything. it was extremely civil.

perhaps there'd be more issues closer to the supporters section, but where i am (opposite side), there were no issues

i honestly think, and this is just my personal opinion, this issue happens more in certain cities than others. when we played atlanta in the first round, i was practically surrounded by atlanta fans and there were no issues with them sitting there and cheering. no one was giving them a hard time or anything. it was extremely civil.

perhaps there'd be more issues closer to the supporters section, but where i am (opposite side), there were no issues

Yeah I was sitting right next to the Atlanta section for that game -- there were a few people bantering back and forth, but for the most part it was fine. I completely agree with the poster above about the stupid hooliganism stuff. It's ridiculous that there needs to be that much security around away fans.

4/5 pick Philly to win. 4/5 pick RSL to win.

one of the guys picking Philly that uses “they beat red-hot Nashville” as part of the rationale. Do these people even watch the games? Nashville has been drawing almost every game for at least a month.

one of the guys picking Philly that uses “they beat red-hot Nashville” as part of the rationale. Do these people even watch the games? Nashville has been drawing almost every game for at least a month.
Lol. Good point. I looked it up. Nashville won 2 of their last 11 games before the playoffs. Wins came against Miami and Cincinnati. In the other 9 games Nashville scored 6 goals. Red hot.

ETA: That said, I can't fault anyone for picking Philly with all the players we're missing. But dumb reasons are dumb.

Last edited: