Mls Slanting To Ocsc?

SharkGuyChris

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 18, 2014
It's a weird Vibe I get, but it seems like the MLS is pushing Orlando hard.
I always read the MLS news feed when I take my..."morning break" at work haha. But I'm noticing a trend.
Beyond the black and white reporting of a Transfer/Trade or Results it seems like the MLS News does lean to Orlando. I noticed in the past week that their "Knee-jerk" (which it's no more than) was creaming over Kaka calling him the MVP of the year. No mention of Villa possibly being that, I'd love to know if that changed after the St Mirren match.
Speaking of which, MLS Preseason tracker today.......First item is about Kaka going to a Orlando Magic game.......riveting. To be fair I'd blast this story if it were Villa, this type of story is irreverent when there's Preseason Action. So Kaka at a NBA game is More-Gooder than the NYCFC win in Europe?
A few possibilities......
1. They are just Big OCSC fans from the USL-Pro and they're stoked they're MLS now.
2. It's a Misdirection. the MLS wants OCSC to succeed and might see a lull for them, so lets pump them up so they get more attention. NYCFC is fine so they don't need the press....this seems most possible if you ask me.
3. They have a NYCFC dislike and want to stick it to Them/Us
4. Pure Coincidence (Probably the most likely)

*I am aware as to my use of "More-Gooder". I use that term intentionally. Again it is a Joke used intentionally :)

I think it is likely your 2nd point, as well as pushing to advertise Kaka as much as they can to get more people interested in the league.

I just looked it up and Kaka has 22 million Twitter followers, David Villa has 6 million. To put it into perspective the MLS account has 600k. Think of how many more profiles view the MLS Twitter when they get RTs from Kaka.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd propose a fifth option: Orlando's press relations have been and continue to be better than ours. They make the front office and the players available for interviews, and release a ton of information to the press with which they can write stories.

Our press releases frankly blow, none of our players do interviews, and more information comes from conjecture and trying to interpret innuendo from the small scraps we get. I still think we will be better on the field than the purple cheese eaters, but I have to give them kudos for managing the message for the whole preseason.

I don't know. I actually think Kaka has been under advertised by MLS since signing with them. While they've been slobbering all over Villa since day one.

I'm thinking more #2

Plus, I'd rather have our team focus on the practices and pre-season games because we're starting from scratch and need as much time as we can get - some of the guys might not be used to all of the media attention, so I'm okay with them shielding them a little

We'll do our own advertising on the pitch

Let's be honest. Orlando needs the help. People are going to follow NYCFC regardless, Orlando not so much. Once they play us in the first game fail to fill the bowl and LOSE, no one is going to check for them until they play us again. So let MLS overhype them just makes the fall greater.

I'd propose a fifth option: Orlando's press relations have been and continue to be better than ours. They make the front office and the players available for interviews, and release a ton of information to the press with which they can write stories.

Our press releases frankly blow, none of our players do interviews, and more information comes from conjecture and trying to interpret innuendo from the small scraps we get. I still think we will be better on the field than the purple cheese eaters, but I have to give them kudos for managing the message for the whole preseason.

The team had us vote on what kind of behind the scenes videos we wanted to see two weeks ago so give them a little time with the interviews and stuff like that. They already started doing some of that with the Get to Know Ned "The Fox" Grabavoy video and the Follow Jeb Brovsky around video. More of that will come

Reactions: CP_Scouse
Internally (for Fans and Supporters) they've done a great job I think. They acknowledge us. They give us "City Voice" for influence and say.
Externally (The rest of the MLS / World) Agreed I'd say it's been Lack-luster. But I know others think it and I agree, we'll show them on the Pitch.

I actually don't think it's necessarily a bad thing though. The more people Kaka and Orlando attract to the league the better. Not that they will, but it would be very good if they sold out most of their home games.
NYCFC gives us fans what we need in terms of behind the scenes looks and City Voice. When we go out opening day and smash Orlando on their home turf then we will catch the media's attention.

Let's be honest. Orlando needs the help. People are going to follow NYCFC regardless, Orlando not so much. Once they play us in the first game fail to fill the bowl and LOSE, no one is going to check for them until they play us again. So let MLS overhype them just makes the fall greater.

it will be filled up. Even if they have to give tickets away for free i am sure it will be filled.

This could a great thing long term. Remember; hype kills. If Orlando is anything less than stellar (which is likely) they are going to be a huge letdown. I hope they have an atrocious first season.

NYCFC should know the media game better than anywhere else. We stay relatively quiet and we work. Then, we enjoy a 2-0 victory at St. Mirren. We very likely show well at Brondby on Sunday too.

We have the space to go into the season with no dead weight. That's awesome.

Internally (for Fans and Supporters) they've done a great job I think. They acknowledge us. They give us "City Voice" for influence and say.
Externally (The rest of the MLS / World) Agreed I'd say it's been Lack-luster. But I know others think it and I agree, we'll show them on the Pitch.
i agree, wait till season starts or carolina cup thats when more access will probably be given. press conferences etc just chillax media, right now there isint much to really talk about.