New York City Fc Sign Colombian Midfielder Javier Calle

I don't speak spanish :(
used google translate and it says this in the description "By agreement between the manager and the directors of the American club, the 23 year old is Argentina presenting medical examinations. His contract with the New York City Football Club will be for five years and its goal is clear. Subscribe to our official channelhttp://goo.gl/2ZZNUZ"

Reactions: Kjbert
Love that we have some veterans on this team who have been through the MLS season or played in some of the top leagues in the world, but we also have young talent sprinkled in there, such as Mullins, Diskerud, Mendoza, and Calle. I am really loving the way they are building this roster.

used google translate and it says this in the description "By agreement between the manager and the directors of the American club, the 23 year old is Argentina presenting medical examinations. His contract with the New York City Football Club will be for five years and its goal is clear. Subscribe to our official channelhttp://goo.gl/2ZZNUZ"

But what did javier calle say when they interviewed him?

Seeing is believing. It will be awesome if he "does" sign, to snap a picture holding his contract so we know is real.

So is Diskerud, Calle, Lampard, and Grabavoy/Jacobson looking like our midfield?
Diskerud, Grabavoy and Jacobson yes. Calle remains a depth player until proven otherwise (super-sub) and I don't see this Lampard fellow anywhere on the roster...

Diskerud, Grabavoy and Jacobson yes. Calle remains a depth player until proven otherwise (super-sub) and I don't see this Lampard fellow anywhere on the roster...

You named three players, who's the fourth starter then?

I think it is Calle's to lose. They had to pay a transfer fee to get him here and likely spent some allocation money to buy down his total cost a little bit to keep it below DP level. I think that's a big enough financial commitment to expect starting caliber play from him. It's not like he's competing against some well established veteran for the spot, he just has to beat out Dunn and McNamara. It may be an open competition, but Calle likely has the talent edge to win it.

EDIT: I always forget about Velazquez when analyzing the roster. He'll definitely compete for a starting spot as well, but is likely more in the Dunn/McNamara group of good backups.

Reactions: Kjbert and USAfan6
Velasquez at this point will be a starter over Calle. Can play left, right or up top in the midfield. Remember Kreis scouted, drafted and worked with Velasquez for several years before trading for him. Calle will be an unknown quality until proven otherwise.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Maybe Calle plays at the bottom of the diamond.

I guess it's possible, but he's not super imposing at just 5'9" and his highlight films show his creative, attacking side off.

Magnus might be right, he'll compete like everyone else for a starting spot, and which one will become apparent as the season nears. We just differ on who we pencil into the RCM spot at the beginning, which matters none.

I know nothing about this guy. Can someone who is familiar with him offer the following...:

1) An MLS player comparison
2) His ceiling in MLS (or abroad or internationally)
3) His best position in MLS (might not be a winger)