New York City Fc Sign Colombian Midfielder Javier Calle

I think it's more of a visa issue, or at least that what they made it sound like.
That makes sense. I swear, I see more and more nowadays about players having visa issues and it's upsetting. The last thing that should hinder a player's opportunities is a government issued document saying youre allowed to play your sport proffesionaly in their country. At least that's my thought

I think that leaves holes at FWD and all across the defense. We have almost no depth at those positions, would love to see a big CB signing. Not having 2/3 of our DPs for half the season, and counting on John to play well when he returns is a bit frightening.
I agree that another DP would be nice for the first half of the season, but I don't think we are that short in defence. Maybe we could do with another right-back for depth/competition, but we have Mendoza, Hernandez, John, Watson-Siriboe, Wingert and Williams who can play at centre back and Brovsky, Wingert, Brandt and Calle who can play at left back.

If we do sign another DP, I reckon it should either be a world class defensive midfielder (a la Jones at the Revs) like De Rossi or a forward to partner David Villa (a la Altidore at TFC) like Borriello or Huntelaar.

I agree that another DP would be nice for the first half of the season, but I don't think we are that short in defence. Maybe we could do with another right-back for depth/competition, but we have Mendoza, Hernandez, John, Watson-Siriboe, Wingert and Williams who can play at centre back and Brovsky, Wingert, Brandt and Calle who can play at left back.

If we do sign another DP, I reckon it should either be a world class defensive midfielder (a la Jones at the Revs) like De Rossi or a forward to partner David Villa (a la Altidore at TFC) like Borriello or Huntelaar.
I am not 100% sure, but I thought Calle played right mid and right back, not left. Otherwise I agree with you, just not that excited about the CBs, especially without John

I am not 100% sure, but I thought Calle played right mid and right back, not left. Otherwise I agree with you, just not that excited about the CBs, especially without John
I'm not sure on Calle either, I thought I read he could play left back?

Centre backs aren't there to be exciting, they are there to be dependable. Wingert and Hernandez are exactly that. Mendoza is a bit of an unknown quantity but from what I've seen/heard/read I think he could be a quality addition. Watson-Siriboe will provide adequate cover and John will be top quality if we can get him back from injury.

I'm not really worried about this area at all, If Kreis or Reyna think we need another centre back, then I have full confidence that they will bring one of adequate quality in.

Azpilicueta is one of the least adventurous fullbacks in the league.
No he isnt. He isn't as good going forward like Filipe Luis is because he isn't left footed so he has difficulty beating his man or whipping in a cross, but he constantly stays wide and allows Hazard to drift in while offering an outlet.

Here is one of the few heatmaps I can find of him. This was again Swansea last season
U2fXX6p.png

Pretty adventurous if you ask me. I'd also guess that most other games don't look much different than this because Chelsea rarely change how they play.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe Mendoza could play as a destroyer.

From his highlight videos, it looks like he definitely could. But he also looks like he could be our best CB where we need more help than in midfield. Also I believe he was announced as a defender by the club.

Maybe when John comes back and if Jacobson isn't cutting it, we could try him out there though.

Calle is in the city apparently, tweet in the random players to NYCFC thread. Should be official soon.

I thought he played on the right side?

I've heard both. I've heard he's left footed, likes to play wide in the attacking zone, and centrally while on defense or in possession.

Grabavoy plays on both sides, so whoever wins the other starting midfield spot can just take their best position and Grabavoy can take the other.

If I understand correctly, when the details of his transfer reach the "mls twittersphere", it should be another whinefest

If I understand correctly, when the details of his transfer reach the "mls twittersphere", it should be another whinefest
Why is that? My understanding is he would be on loan first with option to buy? This is nothing new in the football world.