NYCFC Digital - Hello & NYC TBTs

Hi all, hope you are all doing well! We're talking about recognizing blogs/podcasts/websites/NYCFC supporter media from the official Twitter during this time... if you would like to be featured and to get the word out on your bit, could you please provide the following info, as well as any photos of contributors and/or logos to mark(dot)booth(at)nycfc(dot)com?

Name of Channel/Website/Show:
Names and social media handles of regular contributors:
Website address / How to Subscribe:
Max 20 word description of your blog/show:

Thank you, MB

Mark, where was NYCFC's support when there were multiple fan created blogs and podcasts? They were there covering the club when NYCFC couldn't sniff coverage from local media.

It's just a shame there's so few that are left.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam
Mark, where was NYCFC's support when there were multiple fan created blogs and podcasts? They were there covering the club when NYCFC couldn't sniff coverage from local media.

It's something we want to get better at & spoke about before this pandemic. Open to ideas on how we can support not just podcasts and fan media, but any relevant efforts from our supporters which would benefit from our amplification. From my end, will make sure this is an ongoing effort & not just something we're doing now.

It's something we want to get better at & spoke about before this pandemic. Open to ideas on how we can support not just podcasts and fan media, but any relevant efforts from our supporters which would benefit from our amplification. From my end, will make sure this is an ongoing effort & not just something we're doing now.
I know this is moot right now, but maybe you could invite fan media to do guest game-day reports? Not sure if you already do that, to be honest.

• Love
Reactions: Christopher Jee

I applaud you for the new interest in supporting fan content. How about making players available to podcasts or bloggers? I'd love to interview a current player for an article on NYCFCNation. I know it the past that NYCFC hasn't been willing to allow players (or staff) to do that. Is the club willing to change their stance?

Last edited:
I applaud you for the new interest in supporting fan content. How about making players available to podcasts or bloggers? I'd love to interview a current player for an article on NYCFCNation. I know it the past that NYCFC hasn't been willing to allow players (or staff) to do that. Is the club willing to change their stance?
We’ve done interviews on here and never had to contact the club. I reached out to players directly and would mail them questions. It’s been a few years so things could have changed since then.

We’ve done interviews on here and never had to contact the club. I reached out to players directly and would mail them questions. It’s been a few years so things could have changed since then.

As far as my understanding is, podcasts and blogs have always had access to players in the locker room post match and at the practice facility after practice is complete, but outside of that, there's no access to them for other interviews. I've always thought it was City trying to control the narrative.

im gonna get shit for this, but while there were multiple blogs/ podcasts at the start not all of them were good.

Last edited:
im gonna get shit for this, but while there were were multiple blogs/ podcasts at the start not all of them were good.

Also virtually no other organization in NYC gives credentials to fan blogs, so the fact NYCFC does that and allows those fan blogs to have locker room access is better than I would expect as a fan of other teams in this local area.

Now of course that's partly because the fan blogs are 75% of the media that attends the games, but that's a whole different conversation.

Also virtually no other organization in NYC gives credentials to fan blogs, so the fact NYCFC does that and allows those fan blogs to have locker room access is better than I would expect as a fan of other teams in this local area.

Now of course that's partly because the fan blogs are 75% of the media that attends the games, but that's a whole different conversation.

i just wonder if almost all the podcasts died from lack of support. We got mike on blue city selling his soul for some Gabillas kanishes. Guys at NYCFC Nation & Dudes in Blue are done. I wonder if they would have made it or even can be resuscitated with a little club support. Jon Jon Christopher Jee Christopher Jee, what would it take from the club to start the pod up again? This is your chance, NYCFC Digital NYCFC Digital is listening.

That's the thing. Outside of Ryan Gerbosi for Newsday and Glenn Crooks (who basically works for the club), there's basically no coverage on tv or in print. So if fans are willing to provide FREE coverage, why not support them? Every single podcast (DiB, BCR, BB, NYCFCNation) works or worked their butts off trying to provide quality material.

i just wonder if almost all the podcasts died from lack of support. We got mike on blue city selling his soul for some Gabillas kanishes. Guys at NYCFC Nation & Dudes in Blue are done. I wonder if they would have made it or even can be resuscitated with a little club support. Jon Jon Christopher Jee Christopher Jee, what would it take from the club to start the pod up again? This is your chance, NYCFC Digital NYCFC Digital is listening.

I can't speak for Joe, Anthony, or Andres, but I'm sure life and work get in the way and it takes many hours a week to produce something worth reading or listening to.

Reactions: adam
Hmm I never had a pod, was on BCR once. But maybe you're asking me about The Outfield publishing more?

It's mostly a function of time for me. We'd already decided not to do match reports every week because of how intense it was. I'd watch every match at least twice in addition to enjoying it live, just to identify patterns and clip. And then the writing itself would take me at least 2 or 3 chunks of 3 or 4 hours each. I could probably get incrementally faster but not enough to change the cost-benefit analysis substantially. And doing any less rigorous of an analysis or a poorer job of articulating it didn't seem worth it, to me at least.

We'd already identified that we were spending too much time every week coming up with analyses that felt relevant on a time scale longer than one week, so that it made more sense to write articles less frequently about broader tactical narratives with more longevity.

More support from the club might help, emotionally if not financially. Easier access to players and technical staff might help. I'm not convinced that most fans actually care that much about analysis though, as much as I wish that weren't the case. I feel like most fans are happy when we win and sad when we lose. We pick individual players as heroes and scapegoats regardless of the tactical / strategic context in which they're operating. So you're looking at a small percentage of the pie being interested in this kind of commentary. Probably the best thing the club could do to give publications like The Outfield more exposure is to grow the overall fanbase, which is already in their interests.

The other thing I can think of for something like The Outfield is to actually have an on-field product to write about that's novel enough to attract non-fans. Before the pandemic, I'd read about teams I didn't support purely to understand what made them tick. I think Dome's NYCFC was that kind of side. I'm not sure Ronny's is / would be.

I'm just rambling.

Folks, Mark isn't the problem here. He is not in charge of the comms strategy, or controls access to players. I have only had the chance to meet him in person once, but I am very certain that his ideal of supporter & club culture is very aligned to what we want. He truly loves this club, and little projects like this with help bring us a baby step closer.

I miss The View From 226.

Where are you Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226? What’s up with Leah?

It's mostly a function of time for me. We'd already decided not to do match reports every week because of how intense it was. I'd watch every match at least twice in addition to enjoying it live, just to identify patterns and clip. And then the writing itself would take me at least 2 or 3 chunks of 3 or 4 hours each. I could probably get incrementally faster but not enough to change the cost-benefit analysis substantially. And doing any less rigorous of an analysis or a poorer job of articulating it didn't seem worth it, to me at least.

We'd already identified that we were spending too much time every week coming up with analyses that felt relevant on a time scale longer than one week, so that it made more sense to write articles less frequently about broader tactical narratives with more longevity.

I think Chris's response is right. It's time, and the unrelenting weight of a constant duty that never lets up and has no end (and doesn't pay). I wrote a mostly weekly column here in the forums that I duped on to a blog for 5 years. I called it quits at the end of last season, like many others before me. It's a lot of fun, but also a lot of time and obligation. I think the Outfield model has a chance of lasting longer both because the content creating duties are spread but even more so because none of the contributors ever has to write anything. No article this week? That's OK.

I don't think it matters if it's a column, or a podcast. Podcasts have the advantage that it's easier to talk live with a couple of buddies than to do research, gather the info, write it, edit, and make it presentable. But podcasts have their own pre and post production chores also, and they have a less forgiving schedule. Some of them would go live right after a game. Even the ones that don't tend to be available within 36 hours after a game, which requires getting 2 or 3 people together at once, every week, within a day or so of every game, when they can all set aside probably 2 uninterrupted hours at least. It's tough, and any labor of love becomes a burden when it becomes an obligation.

Contrast 2 of my projects: City Blues By The Numbers was weekly and lasted 5 years, and that was a pretty good run of which I am proud. My photo blog dates to 2009 and I'm still keeping it up more than a decade later. Early on I committed to daily posting to get going but now I post only when I feel like it. That can get pretty sporadic but the advantage is it's still going.

Last edited:
I miss The View From 226.

Where are you Viewfrom226 Viewfrom226? What’s up with Leah?
I'm not surprised View from 226 had a short run. It was a scripted video blog/podcast, so it had all the work of a written column, plus grabbing and editing game clips plus video production work. I miss it too.

So I guess this begs the question, it's understandable that blogs and podcasts run their course. People get busy in their lives or they just move on because they aren't motivated to continue it. So why haven't others stepped up? Seems like we're losing more fan content than we're getting these days.

So I guess this begs the question, it's understandable that blogs and podcasts run their course. People get busy in their lives or they just move on because they aren't motivated to continue it. So why haven't others stepped up? Seems like we're losing more fan content than we're getting these days.
Is that really a mystery?

First, you'll never have the same burst that you have when something starts fresh. Second, like any other business, even free content creation is subject to the phenomenon that existing product discourages new entrants, because people think-- it's already being done, I'll never catch up to their audience, etc. If anything I think the podcast market was oversaturated early on. Then there has to be a lag before the gap becomes apparent, people notice the market opening, and new projects start up.

Then, a lot of the projects under discussion closed up within the last year, and new ones would have arisen this year, but, you know.

It's rather obvious and I don't think it should have needed to be written out.

Last edited: