NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

Saw that NYCFC launched its Chinese website recently. That's going to be a massive move in terms of getting a following from our peers in the East.

It makes sense they did this due to the Chinese investment of 400 million into city group

Maybe Kreis, who, in fairness, was a pretty good MLS player, manage to nutmeg Poku last year in practice. That would be the most plausible answer to date for why he played so little.
Interestingly, I think we have enough information from various sources to understand some of the issues that factored into his playing time (leaving aside for a moment whether the extent of the limitations on his playing time imposed by JK was justified/reasonable.). We have heard Villa, Ian, PV (and JK) collectively reference in some respect his fitness, training, defense, ability/willingness to track back, etc. Of course, they also all had so many incredible and glowing things to say about him as both a person and a player. But there is at least some consensus on areas that need improvement, which is not a bad thing at all.

Interestingly, I think we have enough information from various sources to understand some of the issues that factored into his playing time (leaving aside for a moment whether the extent of the limitations on his playing time imposed by JK was justified/reasonable.). We have heard Villa, Ian, PV (and JK) collectively reference in some respect his fitness, training, defense, ability/willingness to track back, etc. Of course, they also all had so many incredible and glowing things to say about him as both a person and a player. But there is at least some consensus on areas that need improvement, which is not a bad thing at all.

but as a coach should you not try and help him improve? not just let him rot in the bench

Oh stop being so rational! I was just trying to be witty and take a cheap shot at him! :)

but as a coach should you not try and help him improve? not just let him rot in the bench

Sometimes it depends on what you are trying to fix. If a player needs to learn to read the game better or find the right pass they probably need game time. If a player doesn't show the effort on defense that a coach specifically asks for then the bench is a reasonable solution. I have no way of knowing what Kries was asking of Poku so I'm not saying this was the case with Poku last year just pointing out that restricting time is a tool often used to force improvement in certain areas.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Sometimes it depends on what you are trying to fix. If a player needs to learn to read the game better or find the right pass they probably need game time. If a player doesn't show the effort on defense that a coach specifically asks for then the bench is a reasonable solution. I have no way of knowing what Kries was asking of Poku so I'm not saying this was the case with Poku last year just pointing out that restricting time is a tool often used to force improvement in certain areas.

plausible, just didnt feel like he worked with team much in terms of development ( to those that needed it) i dont know what his style was before nycfc though.

Reactions: gbservis
plausible, just didnt feel like he worked with team much in terms of development ( to those that needed it) i dont know what his style was before nycfc though.

Reading his actions he always seemed like one of those coaches that was a strong believer in the idea that talented young players needed to be put in their place to keep their egos in check. I think he was a hard ass to Mix and Poku primarily because in his mind that was "what's best for them". It backfired because neither of those guys have a personality that responds well to that type of crap. He did the same thing the Beckerman at RSL. The only different is that Beckerman responded well to it.

Reading his actions he always seemed like one of those coaches that was a strong believer in the idea that talented young players needed to be put in their place to keep their egos in check. I think he was a hard ass to Mix and Poku primarily because in his mind that was "what's best for them". It backfired because neither of those guys have a personality that responds well to that type of crap. He did the same thing the Beckerman at RSL. The only different is that Beckerman responded well to it.
I've found that the type of person that coaches with that method typically was not the gifted athlete and harbors mixed-to-ill feelings towards the gifted players & holding them to a higher standard. Kreis made the most of the limited skill he had as a player by always seeming to be in the right place at the right time to score, but he lacked speed and never struck me as the most technically gifted - he just worked hard, never got injured, and held a grudge. This got him a few call ups to the MNT that ended with flat results - probably less than what a top MLS goal scorer thought he was capable of.

Now contrast that with guys like Mix and Poku that seem to have limitless talent and technical ability and have the charisma to boot. I always found it odd that when Mix returned from national team duty, nearly every time he was banished to the bench and had to earn his spot (wherever that was on the field) back. It was as if Kreis felt he had to earn it in practice and having not been in practice for a week then he lost the spot to somebody that was busting their butt in practice. Same with Poku - he would turn in a great performance, and then find himself back on the bench - evidently the goal/assist he had wasn't enough to amend for the failure to always track back or some other rationale.

Maybe I'm just spit-balling this psychoanalysis, but it just always seemed like he was trying to teach them a lesson, and not in the coach/instructor way, but as mentioned, holding them to a higher standard with unfair/unfounded banishment to the bench.

Last edited:
I've found that the type of person that coaches with that method typically was not the gifted athlete and harbors mixed-to-ill feelings towards the gifted players & holding them to a higher standard. Kreis made the most of the limited skill he had as a player by always seeming to be in the right place at the right time to score, but he lacked speed and never struck me as the most technically gifted - he just worked hard, never got injured, and held a grudge. This got him a few call ups to the MNT that ended with flat results - probably less than what a top MLS goal scorer thought he was capable of.

Now contrast that with guys like Mix and Poku that seem to have limitless talent and technical ability and have the charisma to boot. I always found it odd that when Mix returned from national team duty, nearly ever time he was banished to the bench and had to earn his spot (wherever that was on the field) back. It was as if Kreis felt he had to earn it in practice and having not been in practice for a week then he lost the spot to somebody that was busting their butt in practice. Same with Poku - he would turn in a great performance, and then find himself back on the bench - evidently the goal/assist he had wasn't enough to amend for the failure to always track back or some other rationale.

Maybe I'm just spit-balling this psychoanalysis, but it just always seemed like he was trying to teach them a lesson, and not in the coach/instructor way, but as mentioned, holding them to a higher standard with unfair/unfounded banishment to the bench.

Either way, he was toxic. I mean, we already have three pictures of Pirlo smiling and it's still the beginning of February. I rest my case.