NYCFC In The Media Thread - 2016

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/02/26/patrick-vieira-nycfc-mls-andrea-pirlo/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/21/crooks-interview-patrick-vieira-nycfc/

"— NYCFC will close its exhibition schedule on Saturday against Reykjavic FC. The probable lineup for the scrimmage and the opener in Chicago features Tony Taylor, Villa and Khiry Shelton up front with Tommy McNamara, Mix Diskerud and Pirlo in the midfield. At the back, Ronald Matarrita, Ethan White, Frederic Brilliant and Andoni Iraola. Josh Saunders will be in goal."

"On Sept. 12 of last season at FC Dallas, perhaps making his own statement while also contributing to his deteriorating relationships, Kreis used his three substitutions on the Big Three – an eventual 2-1 defeat. One source suggested that Villa phoned Ferran Soriano, chairman of the City Football Group, after the match to voice his displeasure with Kreis."

Very interesting...

Nice and informative article here by Glen Crooks, who spent time in Florida to interview Viera and hang out with the team.

Edit: this is the same article linked by The Toe. It's got a lot of good stuff in there.
Unfortunately, this article has cleared up at least 70% of the things we have been discussing and speculating about lately. What the hell are we going to talk about?!?

"On Sept. 12 of last season at FC Dallas, perhaps making his own statement while also contributing to his deteriorating relationships, Kreis used his three substitutions on the Big Three – an eventual 2-1 defeat. One source suggested that Villa phoned Ferran Soriano, chairman of the City Football Group, after the match to voice his displeasure with Kreis."

Very interesting...

ayy lmao if true.... im not sure i believe he actually did that but i do know he and many others maybe were not pleased.

Reactions: Kjbert

Very interesting...
Despite what the team may lead you to believe, NYCFC is just CFG: New York

Reactions: Kjbert
second half of training video. Villa looks to have a great relationship with many of the players. Great captain IMO
My position on the sulking complaints has always been that his teammates are not offended in the slightest because, among other things (like the obvious, the respect for his resume and experience, etc.), they love the guy off of the field. He's a fun, personable guy, and has always been known as a prankster and light-hearted off of the field. I am glad that has been demonstrated lately in some of the videos and pictures. It certainly is coming through with his run lately as a ball-buster on twitter.

What exactly do you not like about it? I'm not crazy about McNamara there, but its doable, and I would rather have Lurch in net, but nothing I would necessarily 'hate' about it.

It actually makes sense, if you are going to play Pirlo as the lone 6, you need two shuttlers around him who will run and cover. From last year's roster, Mix and TMac were the two most adept to play those roles, but Kreis never put them there. Kreis instead had "coach goggles" for Jacobson who he saw as a 6 but who roamed higher than Pirlo most of the time.

Actually from reading that article it explains so much about what to see from the team. Interesting how they may use Bravo as a CDM and drop him deep.

What exactly do you not like about it? I'm not crazy about McNamara there, but its doable, and I would rather have Lurch in net, but nothing I would necessarily 'hate' about it.

I don't hate it, but I am not thrilled about Shelton starting. I hope that he learns to finish and gets a better first touch in the next 8 days, 19 hours, and 58 minutes.

It actually makes sense, if you are going to play Pirlo as the lone 6, you need two shuttlers around him who will run and cover. From last year's roster, Mix and TMac were the two most adept to play those roles, but Kreis never put them there. Kreis instead had "coach goggles" for Jacobson who he saw as a 6 but who roamed higher than Pirlo most of the time.

Actually from reading that article it explains so much about what to see from the team. Interesting how they may use Bravo as a CDM and drop him deep.
I wonder if we'll see a double switch of Lamp/Poku in for TMac/Pirlo with Mix moving to the middle when the subs come in.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
I think I'd prefer bravo on that midfield but we'll see how it goes

No Poku, No Happy