NYCFC in the Media Thread - 2023

An article about NYCFC and mostly the stadium. I didn't read anything I didn't already know and for that reason honestly it's a tl/dr for me. But it's to see this out there for the general public. Not sure how much engagement the Queens Eagle gets.

Was there any reason for the author to put in the following?

During its club’s rise, CFG was also accused of breaking several league and international rules in the process.

(snip)

However, in 2021 NYCFC made it to the mountaintop, winning their first MLS title despite finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference and having the league’s lowest mean attendance.

Was there any reason for the author to put in the following?

During its club’s rise, CFG was also accused of breaking several league and international rules in the process.

(snip)

However, in 2021 NYCFC made it to the mountaintop, winning their first MLS title despite finishing fourth in the Eastern Conference and having the league’s lowest mean attendance.
Wasn't that because we were closed for a lot of it and limited bc of covid? Major League Soccer - Attendance figures

our average is not 5,000 normally. It was definitely a covid thing? Our record this season is 15th, at ~20,000 across all stadiums. That line seems sensationalist and out of context.

Doyle finally got around to his year end review of NYCFC.

He seems to have stopped with the amusing GIFs.
He blames Lee. He says Cushing was dealt a poor hand. But he also blames Cushing for the same reasons many of us do.
He also notes something that people noiticed in 2022 when Cushing took over and then sort of got lost:

They didn’t make up for it by pressing higher and harder, which had been one of their hallmarks under the previous three coaches. Last year, in the regular season, they won the ball 1,105 times in the attacking third. In 2021, it was nearly 1,200.
This year it was 915.

Cushing seems not to like pressing up front. Yes, Taty did a lot of it, but not 25% of it. I'd really like to see that come back, but it seems unlikely. And I cannot think of any reason the change is beneficial.

He blames Lee. He says Cushing was dealt a poor hand. But he also blames Cushing for the same reasons many of us do.
He also notes something that people noiticed in 2022 when Cushing took over and then sort of got lost:

They didn’t make up for it by pressing higher and harder, which had been one of their hallmarks under the previous three coaches. Last year, in the regular season, they won the ball 1,105 times in the attacking third. In 2021, it was nearly 1,200.
This year it was 915.

Cushing seems not to like pressing up front. Yes, Taty did a lot of it, but not 25% of it. I'd really like to see that come back, but it seems unlikely. And I cannot think of any reason the change is beneficial.

Thought it was really good, though. Nothing we haven't said here, but it was honest and fair. Always feels like Doyle has a good grasp on things

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Thought it was really good, though. Nothing we haven't said here, but it was honest and fair. Always feels like Doyle has a good grasp on things
Agreed, although I depart from him on this one:

"One excellent player begat another, and then that pipeline just dried up for no other reason than the front office appeared to forget to keep the water turned on."

We've talked about this a lot and I don't want to cover the same old ground. But just to be crystal clear, in case I haven't before: I don't think what we saw this past season was in any way a result of incompetence or neglect. Some gambles which didn't pay off, maybe. And maybe some assumptions -- not at all unreasonable -- which didn't work out.

But it was no accident. CFG doesn't operate that way. They were setting us up for next year and beyond.

This year it was 915.

I'm honestly disappointed there's nothing in there about Maxime Chanot. Losing that veteran leadership and stalwart defending was a big loss in the season. Plus, the memes.

A load of biased crap in this video...

- Yankee Stadium / Citi Field has not caused a single injury because of the field condition, unlike that of Atlanta
- All of the videos feature the David Villa era
- Our MLS Cup was at a time when these "global superstars" did not play for the club
- We've won the same amount of trophies as Atlanta
- We made it to the semifinals of CCL in 2022, how many clubs in MLS have achieved that since 2015? (Seattle, LAFC, Philadelphia, Kansas City, Toronto, Red Bulls, FC Dallas, Vancouver)
- The revolving door of coaches is because of better opportunities. Kreis was duly fired. Dome left because of Claudio / MLS pre-pandemic travel rules.

Hudson RIver Blue might need to start a paywall model. It sucks, but given online advertising these days, might be the only path forward. They're also looking for reader input via survey to help them navigate.