Nycfc Sign Diego Martinez

For you to discredit Mullins isn't fair. Guy is basically the white Poku that doesn't have a cult following. Look up the guy's stats and then how little minutes he played. Facts are facts and I'll take him over Shelton any day. Not saying I dislike Shelton. I think he's one of our better players. I want him to be great, trust me. But you originally were saying we didn't have options....which we do

Edit: gunna be generous and not completely expose the fact that you said Mullins doesn't finish compared to Shelton and that Shelton has a good touch

Mullins is not Poku. If Mullins was that good, he would have started last year.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan are we betting or no? Minutes, goals, games started. What's the bet?

Mullins is not Poku. If Mullins was that good, he would have started last year.

Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan are we betting or no? Minutes, goals, games started. What's the bet?
I don't know what bet you want. I prefer to only bet this kind of shit if there is an emotional hedge. You brought up betting. You can name terms, and I'll accept or decline.

But Poku didn't start either... I'm betting on Mullins being a delightful surprise next season if he plays more minutes. Just imagine Villa Mullins Poku up top in a 4-3-3. I'm salivating at the thought.
It will not be a surprise. He has always been good. As I've said before, NER had a stacked roster. They had to let someone go, and they had Agudelo coming in and CD already there. They protected Rowe and Fagundez. It wasn't because they didn't rate or want Patrick. It's that they couldn't protect everyone, and he would have been 3rd choice striker in a team that pretty much has to play 3 midfielders and 2 wingers due to the talent they had in those positions.

Last edited:
I'm going to hold off on my opinion of Shelton until I see him in a Kreis-less system. PV could be his saving grace, who knows.

also just have to give him time. remember ethan finlay didnt have a single goal or assist in his first two years. Now he has 23 goals and 20 assists in last two seasons. Gotta give him time.

Reactions: Kjbert
For you to discredit Mullins isn't fair. Guy is basically the white Poku that doesn't have a cult following. Look up the guy's stats and then how little minutes he played. Facts are facts and I'll take him over Shelton any day. Not saying I dislike Shelton. I think he's one of our better players. I want him to be great, trust me. But you originally were saying we didn't have options....which we do

Edit: gunna be generous and not completely expose the fact that you said Mullins doesn't finish compared to Shelton and that Shelton has a good touch
Also in another thread I listed every player's goals per 90. With PKs Villa was clearly #1 and Mullins clearly #2. Without PKs they were basically even. Who knows how that would translate over 3000 minutes played. But credit where credit is due. By the numbers Mullins was arguably as good for us offensively as anyone else on the team. When he got playing time. Thank Kreis.

also just have to give him time. remember ethan finlay didnt have a single goal or assist in his first two years. Now he has 23 goals and 20 assists in last two seasons. Gotta give him time.
And I still don't rate Finlay due to his limited game and poor touch/control.

I'll say that I would put those sort of numbers as the absolute tip top of the radio tower on the top of the cupola on the top of the roof on the top of the ceiling of Shelton.

Basically, Shelton at his best would be a homeless man's Jordan Morris (not quite as fast, as aware, as strong, as aggressive, as good at finishing, and most importantly, less instinctual in and around the box).

Also in another thread I listed every player's goals per 90. With PKs Villa was clearly #1 and Mullins clearly #2. Without PKs they were basically even. Who knows how that would translate over 3000 minutes played. But credit where credit is due. By the numbers Mullins was arguably as good for us offensively as anyone else on the team. When he got playing time. Thank Kreis.
I think there is a big role for Mullins this year. It is small sample size, but he did most of his best goal scoring work when he came on as a sub. I think he only scored twice in 11 starts, though a fair number of those starts were early in the season when the team was pretty bad and he looked very good in the start against Toronto in September. So, the question is whether he is a good starter for 25matches, or if he is best as an impact sub who can beat up tired defenses.

Either way, he is one of my favorite players to watch up close. His work rate is phenomenal and is something that is best appreciated live and close to the pitch (i.e., not at Yankee Stadium where such at seat doesn't exist!).

I don't know what bet you want. I prefer to only bet this kind of shit if there is an emotional hedge. You brought up betting. You can name terms, and I'll accept or decline.

$100 to your favorite charity. My bet is that Shelton plays more minutes

Reactions: northernburbs
And I still don't rate Finlay due to his limited game and poor touch/control.

I'll say that I would put those sort of numbers as the absolute tip top of the radio tower on the top of the cupola on the top of the roof on the top of the ceiling of Shelton.

Basically, Shelton at his best would be a homeless man's Jordan Morris (not quite as fast, as aware, as strong, as aggressive, as good at finishing, and most importantly, less instinctual in and around the box).
I'm pretty sure Shelton is actually faster, but your point is well taken.

I think the stat is slightly skewed since most of Mullins goals came as a sub when one team is usually chasing goals and the game tends to open up. He didn't look great in a couple of his starts particularly when he played alone up top when Villa was out injured. Regardless I agree that he is talented and should see more time this year but I wouldn't mind it in the role of 1st player off the bench for most games as long as he is consistently getting time.

I think the stat is slightly skewed since most of Mullins goals came as a sub when one team is usually chasing goals and the game tends to open up. He didn't look great in a couple of his starts particularly when he played alone up top when Villa was out injured. Regardless I agree that he is talented and should see more time this year but I wouldn't mind it in the role of 1st player off the bench for most games as long as he is consistently getting time.
Bolded for emphasis. Unfortunately this isn't really a fair test, either. I don't think anyone is pushing to have him as a starting sole striker instead of Villa, but rather as getting substantial minutes -- more than just late game replacement -- alongside Villa. And unfortunately that's what we have very little data of which to judge.
Also, I'm not really jumping on GB here, who said he wants to see PM get more time. Just pointing out that we don't have much experience to go on to directly estimate how Mullins would do in the role some want for him.

This is where my thoughts kind of land around this Mullins argument going on. I've seen some stats thrown around about goals per minute, but I think that tends to be higher for strikers that are subbed on.

I like Mullins a lot. I do think he is best coming off the bench as an impact sub. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him start, and think he has the capability to still be productive there.

Whether I'm right or wrong as feeling he is best coming off the bench, its great having this argument about a talent on our team, whether he should start or come off the bench. We have options and depth. Will be interesting to see how the formation shakes out.

Reactions: Viewfrom226
I like Mullins. I hope he's here for a while. I have stated before that I don't think he is a player you can build a team around. Maybe I am wrong. He is limited athletically which hurts him in MLS. Shelton certainly has a higher ceiling but it is all potential until he figures it out. I just think Mullins is a guy who is the poacher off the bench. Would be a good role for him and a role no one else on our team can fill right now. He can hold up play and finish in the box.