Nycfc Sign Diego Martinez

Mullins is definitely better, Taylor is debatable, possibly Poku if he's bumped out of a preferred spot, or tmac just to name a few off the top of my head

Tommy McNamara is a borderline MLS player.
Taylor has played what? 11 games in 3 years?
Mullins was let go by his team after being a first round draft pick. He still shows promise.
The new manager views Poku as a Central Midfielder.

You can't tell me there is not an argument to be made to just let Shelton play. None of the guys mentioned above have shown the ability to finish. None of them have his pace or touch. So let's let our #2 pick from last year develop. He won't develop on the bench.

Reactions: NYCFCP
No one better to sort out who is best to use up front and how to use them than PV. He has the perfect gauge on kids' potential and the ability to bring out the best of them. So I will be happy with whatever he does with Khiry, Tommy and Patrick with the understanding that he is the perfect coach to make that call. Will be very interesting to see how it plays out (and I understand that part of the fun of this forum is to debate and predict how it will/should). In PV we trust, especially with the youths.

Reactions: BEC SPK
I don't think that is fair. He was one of our better players last year and was one of Chivas' bright spots before a bad injury. He might not look like he belongs, but he has proven he does.

I don't think the fact that he played major minutes for a crappy expansion side proves him to be an MLS regular.

Reactions: NYCFCP
I don't see him as a starter but definitely can be a bench player especially in this salary cap world
Agree. Good squad player for 800 or so minutes. Can score some goals and has some good technical skills. But, ultimately I think he got exposed as we played him more and more.

I don't think the fact that he played major minutes for a crappy expansion side proves him to be an MLS regular.

Between the salary cap and limited international slots where are you getting a better player for $60K? Unless the league increases the number of international slots or we see a dramatic increase in the US player talent pool we will always need young american players like TMAC on affordable deals.

Between the salary cap and limited international slots where are you getting a better player for $60K? Unless the league increases the number of international slots or we see a dramatic increase in the US player talent pool we will always need young american players like TMAC on affordable deals.

He's fine for now but some people here want him to start and log major minutes. If you're relying on Tommy McNamara to be an important contributor this season, send your tickets back because this isn't a playoff team.

He's fine for now but some people here want him to start and log major minutes. If you're relying on Tommy McNamara to be an important contributor this season, send your tickets back because this isn't a playoff team.

I like Tommy a lot, more than most probably, but full time starter?!? That's insane. Maybe for Chicago Fire or Colorado Rapids but this is New York mothafuckin City. We can and must do better.

Ahemmmmm...Shelton...

Tommy McNamara is a borderline MLS player.
Taylor has played what? 11 games in 3 years?
Mullins was let go by his team after being a first round draft pick. He still shows promise.
The new manager views Poku as a Central Midfielder.

You can't tell me there is not an argument to be made to just let Shelton play. None of the guys mentioned above have shown the ability to finish. None of them have his pace or touch. So let's let our #2 pick from last year develop. He won't develop on the bench.
For you to discredit Mullins isn't fair. Guy is basically the white Poku that doesn't have a cult following. Look up the guy's stats and then how little minutes he played. Facts are facts and I'll take him over Shelton any day. Not saying I dislike Shelton. I think he's one of our better players. I want him to be great, trust me. But you originally were saying we didn't have options....which we do

Edit: gunna be generous and not completely expose the fact that you said Mullins doesn't finish compared to Shelton and that Shelton has a good touch

Let's make a friendly wager around these two. What do you say?
I am saying they are about the same to me. Shelton is more exciting because he has wheels and more upside. TMc is the better player right now. Either getting lots of minutes means we suck.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
For you to discredit Mullins isn't fair. Guy is basically the white Poku that doesn't have a cult following. Look up the guy's stats and then how little minutes he played. Facts are facts and I'll take him over Shelton any day. Not saying I dislike Shelton. I think he's one of our better players. I want him to be great, trust me. But you originally were saying we didn't have options....which we do

Edit: gunna be generous and not completely expose the fact that you said Mullins doesn't finish compared to Shelton and that Shelton has a good touch
OK, now we have to get #WhitePoku trending every time Mullins scores.

Shelton has played 8 career games and is in USMNT camp. Let me know when Tommy McNamara gets a look there.
He's in his last shot to get a slot on the U23s. And he won't make. I can name 5 better forwards not there because they have actual games to play, and they are all younger and better.