Nycfc Transfers - Summer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transfer window closes Thursday. Kreis said he was looking to possibly add one more player on Soccer Morning on July 24.

All quiet on the transfer front.

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
I'm rather surprised that the much lauded MC scouting network has only produced players like Mena, in places Kreis was already known to scout. Makes me think NYCFC is alone in scouting for its players.

Looking forward to some news today or tomorrow. I hope.

I'm rather surprised that the much lauded MC scouting network has only produced players like Mena, in places Kreis was already known to scout. Makes me think NYCFC is alone in scouting for its players.

Looking forward to some news today or tomorrow. I hope.
it's a tough business, Einstein. Look at Man City itself, they are not doing well in the transfer market. The player they wanted to unload did not go anywhere and the player they wanted to buy ended up not coming. Part of the fault is the rumored coach situation.
On that front, their current coach, Pellegrini, if he is going to be fired next season (not for lack of performance but Man City is rumored to have secured Guardiola next season, whom in my view is overrated) , i would like to petition Ferran Soriano to sign up Pellegrini for NY.

it's a tough business, Einstein. Look at Man City itself, they are not doing well in the transfer market. The player they wanted to unload did not go anywhere and the player they wanted to buy ended up not coming. Part of the fault is the rumored coach situation.
On that front, their current coach, Pellegrini, if he is going to be fired next season (not for lack of performance but Man City is rumored to have secured Guardiola next season, whom in my view is overrated) , i would like to petition Ferran Soriano to sign up Pellegrini for NY.

European coaches and mls go together like bill cosby and sober girl who can't be drugged.

Magnus, Einstein was another smart Jewish guy. But seriously EZ, don't you think MC's scouting program would have found something else? I get Lamps, Pirlo, Villa, I'm sure MC had a hand in those, but anyone who uses FIFA would have told you to pick them up. Iraola, Alvarez seem like Villa's friends. Mendoza, Mena, maybe even Calle are from countries that Kreis has always scouted (Plata, Olave etc) and then we have the MLSers and MC loanees. The only ones that seem like pure scouted players could be Tefu (now signed with someone else), Nemec...who else? So the great and powerful CFG financed scouting network got us Nemec. Really?

Just expected more I guess.

European coaches and mls go together like bill cosby and sober girl who can't be drugged.
I loved your line, Blue Warrior, but seriously, drop your bias already. World Class Coaches will work anywhere. And btw, it's not them whom need to fit into our system; It's us who need to change/improve/upgrade to fit their coaches. We are the third world of soccer, don't ever forget that. In this case, I firmly believe imported will be better than domestic ones until we are a world soccer power ourselves. why insists on a Cadillac when you can have a Mercedes//BMW/Audi (Ferrari a different matter, way too high maintenance)? don't tell me the road/traffic rules/driver habit in the States are different that European models don't work here.

I loved your line, Blue Warrior, but seriously, drop your bias already. World Class Coaches will work anywhere. And btw, it's not them whom need to fit into our system; It's us who need to change/improve/upgrade to fit their coaches. We are the third world of soccer, don't ever forget that. In this case, I firmly believe imported will be better than domestic ones until we are a world soccer power ourselves. why insists on a Cadillac when you can have a Mercedes//BMW/Audi (Ferrari a different matter, way too high maintenance)? don't tell me the road/traffic rules/driver habit in the States are different that European models don't work here.

I don't necessarily agree that a world class coach can work anywhere. Managing a team of world class talent that is stacked from top to bottom takes a different skill set than managing a team where the majority of the players are essentially third world soccer talent as you accurately point out. Running a world class team is more about managing the huge egos involved in a superstar roster while running a lower class team requires a stronger ability to develop lower skill level players. Some top flight coaches could handle either but many others would struggle. We watch amazing coaches fail all the time in other american sports when they go from coaching a pro team to coaching a college team and that's a much smaller jump in overall player talent than we are talking about here.

Edit: Building on the car analogy. The MLS road right now is a crappy dirt road filled with huge pot holes. Maybe a BMW x5 coach survives and thrives, but your BMW M3 coach that set all the records on the world class race tracks in Europe is not making it out in one piece and will likely get smoked by some guy in an F-150.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily agree that a world class coach can work anywhere. Managing a team of world class talent that is stacked from top to bottom takes a different skill set than managing a team where the majority of the players are essentially third world soccer talent as you accurately point out. Running a world class team is more about managing the huge egos involved in a superstar roster while running a lower class team requires a stronger ability to develop lower skill level players. Some top flight coaches could handle either but many others would struggle. We watch amazing coaches fail all the time in other american sports when they go from coaching a pro team to coaching a college team and that's a much smaller jump in overall player talent than we are talking about here.

Edit: Building on the car analogy. The MLS road right now is a crappy dirt road filled with huge pot holes. Maybe a BMW x5 coach survives and thrives, but your BMW M3 coach that set all the records on the world class race tracks in Europe is not making it out in one piece and will likely get smoked by some guy in an F-150.
If you think it's bad now, I'll just assume that you weren't around 5 years ago. MLS has gotten better each year and will continue to do so.

Reactions: joe
If you think it's bad now, I'll just assume that you weren't around 5 years ago. MLS has gotten better each year and will continue to do so.

I agree, I have been watching for years and I'm pleased with the progress. The league certainly gets better each year. I didn't mean to trash the league. I was more trying to point out that at it's current state MLS teams need a current type of coach. I'd take some of the better coaches in the league over a big name European at this point in most cases.

On the other side of the argument I wonder if and/or when certain successful MLS coaches will become less effective as the league gets better and the required coach skill set starts to shift towards that of more elite leagues.

On the other side of the argument I wonder if and/or when certain successful MLS coaches will become less effective as the league gets better and the required coach skill set starts to shift towards that of more elite leagues.
Well, perhaps that's exactly the point we're at now with Kreis.

It's very possible, I'm not against giving it a bit more time to find out, but even just looking at DPs you can see how different this team is from any Kries has coached in the past.

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
It's very possible, I'm not against giving it a bit more time to find out, but even just looking at DPs you can see how different this team is from any Kries has coached in the past.

yes, I share the sentiment that we are almost there that we need an elite coach to tip the balance to go from being solid/good to good/great. To build on your point, some elite coaches are known for developing talent. Developing talent, managing talent, preparing and managing each match are three key areas of skills and only a few elite can do well in all 3 departments. And NYCFC needs all the help in all 3 areas to move to the next level. We can be there, we may even be close. But God help us get the right person to make that happen. All I know is Kries is not the best person in this world for this job right now. Can the club does everything within its power to find and sign that person? Please do and the club will be financially rewarded, I guarantee you. Right now we have the momentum, if the club does not build on it, many new and marginal fans who can otherwise be converted into base/core fans will leave in droves, me included -- it's just the reality.

Reactions: gbservis
still think Kreis' success in RSL had everything to do with Garth Lagerway being brilliant with talent acquisition, selection and development and had nothing to do with Kreis.

That actually makes some sense. When the skill gap is lower the lineup choice isn't nearly as critical. Safety and system can win. When your team and the others get stacked with more talent, weak spots in the lineup are more of a liability. JK is still playing a cautious game.

That actually makes some sense. When the skill gap is lower the lineup choice isn't nearly as critical. Safety and system can win. When your team and the others get stacked with more talent, weak spots in the lineup are more of a liability. JK is still playing a cautious game.
It's like he's coaching as if his players are all on the same level. Someone does well one week or has a great practice, reward them with more minutes. But our players are *not* all on the same level. Some of them just have to play all the time, regardless of how you're feeling about them at that particular moment.

It's like he's coaching as if his players are all on the same level. Someone does well one week or has a great practice, reward them with more minutes. But our players are *not* all on the same level. Some of them just have to play all the time, regardless of how you're feeling about them at that particular moment.
Agreed. Even the final couple of spots - TMac, Calle, et al - depending on your lineup of choice should settle into routine. Players and teams tend to do better when they know their roles.

But Pellegrini coached more South American teams than European teams.....won titles in Chile, Ecuador, and Argentina. He would be a great coach for MLS is there DP money for coaches?

Reactions: NYdoesitEZ
But Pellegrini coached more South American teams than European teams.....won titles in Chile, Ecuador, and Argentina. He would be a great coach for MLS is there DP money for coaches?
He's Chilean. He knows their local soccer. Plus, the rules there are pretty much the same as Europe. Additionally, the average player there is better technically than the average MLS guy.

Great point. Pellegrini it is. If the rumor is true that ManCity is going to replace him, let us have him next season! If money is issue, start a fan funded pool. Am sure we can raise a few millions that way. The group chips in a few millions on top that's more than enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.