NYCFC v Columbus - Postmatch

How about this lineup? Can either be played in a 4-3-3 or move Bravo forward next to Pirlo for a 3-4-3.

--Mataritta--Villa--Taylor----------
------------Mix----Poku--------------
----------------Pirlo-------------------
--Allen---Bravo--Brillant--Iraola--
-----------JOHANSEN!!!-------------

Reactions: JCMore and Ulrich
How about this lineup? Can either be played in a 4-3-3 or move Bravo forward next to Pirlo for a 3-4-3.

--Mataritta--Villa--Taylor----------
------------Mix----Poku--------------
----------------Pirlo-------------------
--Allen---Bravo--Brillant--Iraola--
-----------JOHANSEN!!!-------------
Eventually, Harrison takes left wing and Mata moves back to LB.

Why do we have to treat every result that isn't 3 points like it's a crisis? Last night was simple: the real Columbus showed up and they're a better team than us. You guys are starting to go around in a cycle, first you're OK with Poku not starting because he was invisible in his only start and now you want him starting just because he put in a good shift coming off the bench.

Look at the team we played last night, think they became that good overnight? You think Meram, Finlay, and Trapp were always top class MLS players? They've all played together in MLS longer than our team has been in existence. They became that good over time, that's why it's silly to call for T-Mac and Mix to be benched. They'll get better the more they play, not by benching them after every bad game.

Some of you have to realize we're just not a good team right now. Barring a Giovinco type acquisition there is no quick fix, it's a long fix and we have to be patient to see it through.

I thought I should post my thoughts last night, but decided I was done with NYCFC-related thoughts after the loss. So I skimmed through this thread quickly before wanting to type this out:

• As many have already stated, Mendoza was awful and really did not provide a whole ton. He even seemed much, much slower out there last night going against Afful.
  • Tony Taylor is meh. He did track back quite a bit, but he doesn't seem to press much on offense. I know there is a ton of Khiry's game that he needs to clean up, but at least when he came on he ATTACKED the fullbacks. Yes, a few times it ended in turnovers, but he was attacking and generating some chances that could have been had.
  • Mac looked lost out there. Again, I'm not his biggest fan. He is a very aware player and positions himself so well throughout the match, and has a killer right foot, but......way too often he plays the ball insanely quick without thinking about what he's doing and passes the ball to the opposition. I thought Poku coming on for him was an excellent sub, and think Poku is more talented than Mac, but still not sure who should start over who.
  • I actually thought both Hernandez and Brillant had great games last night. Iraola and Mata put them in awful positions throughout the game, and for the most part they handled it very well and had some great, saving tackles. I really noticed Brillant attacking the ball in the air quite a bit as I believe Viewfrom226 has pointed out earlier.
One other point I wanted to make as I do see a lot of questioning of PV's coaching, and a lot of it I can agree with. But I thought his subs were perfect last night. It was clear that Mac wasn't providing much in the midfield and we needed a dominating presence there, and TT wasn't providing much in attack, so bring on Khiry. And I loved that he made those subs with quite a bit of time left on the clock. Get them in there and change the flow back in our flow. And it worked, though we weren't able to put it in the back of the net. All 3 subs were exactly what I wanted.

Now I had another thought that I wanted to save for a separate post. And maybe this belongs in a separate thread somewhere else. I really think playing 4 straight games at home on the narrow YS pitch hurt us a lot last night. It seemed that both Iraola and Mata were pinched in way too close and "forgot" about how wide the pitch was. And all 3 Columbus goals came from being played out so wide.

I thought we somewhat adjusted in the second half (at least Iraola seemed to), but I think they were so used to playing on the narrower pitch, especially after 4 straight games of it.

Some of you have to realize we're just not a good team right now. Barring a Giovinco type acquisition there is no quick fix, it's a long fix and we have to be patient to see it through.
But that's exactly what none of us want.
More seriously, I think many reasonably expected we'd be better this year. Not top of the table better, but clear improvement. At the moment there seems to have been no improvement. There's a difference between a long progression and treading water and we seem to be on the wrong side of it.

But that's exactly what none of us want.
More seriously, I think many reasonably expected we'd be better this year. Not top of the table better, but clear improvement. At the moment there seems to have been no improvement. There's a difference between a long progression and treading water and we seem to be on the wrong side of it.
The results haven't gone our way but performance wise we're definitely better than last year. I believe the numbers will reflect that by the end of the season.

I thought that after the first 2-3 games and now I'm not sure. You might be right I just cannot say any more. I certainly hope so.
Honestly, the most immediate change that will pay instant dividends is to replace Saunders with Johansen. The kid can be no worse and likely infinitely better between the posts. The field players need to figure things out over time - the keeper needs to have inherent ability and talent & Saunders has neither.

I thought I should post my thoughts last night, but decided I was done with NYCFC-related thoughts after the loss. So I skimmed through this thread quickly before wanting to type this out:

• As many have already stated, Mendoza was awful and really did not provide a whole ton. He even seemed much, much slower out there last night going against Afful.
  • Tony Taylor is meh. He did track back quite a bit, but he doesn't seem to press much on offense. I know there is a ton of Khiry's game that he needs to clean up, but at least when he came on he ATTACKED the fullbacks. Yes, a few times it ended in turnovers, but he was attacking and generating some chances that could have been had.
  • Mac looked lost out there. Again, I'm not his biggest fan. He is a very aware player and positions himself so well throughout the match, and has a killer right foot, but......way too often he plays the ball insanely quick without thinking about what he's doing and passes the ball to the opposition. I thought Poku coming on for him was an excellent sub, and think Poku is more talented than Mac, but still not sure who should start over who.
  • I actually thought both Hernandez and Brillant had great games last night. Iraola and Mata put them in awful positions throughout the game, and for the most part they handled it very well and had some great, saving tackles. I really noticed Brillant attacking the ball in the air quite a bit as I believe Viewfrom226 has pointed out earlier.
One other point I wanted to make as I do see a lot of questioning of PV's coaching, and a lot of it I can agree with. But I thought his subs were perfect last night. It was clear that Mac wasn't providing much in the midfield and we needed a dominating presence there, and TT wasn't providing much in attack, so bring on Khiry. And I loved that he made those subs with quite a bit of time left on the clock. Get them in there and change the flow back in our flow. And it worked, though we weren't able to put it in the back of the net. All 3 subs were exactly what I wanted.
I agree that PV got the subs right, but for me the issue was not getting the starters right. A few players seem to be getting far more starts than a sane person would normally give:

Saunders : he's the 2016 Grabavoy. The player that has no business starting a game and yet gets the nod every time. And when he's out there, every fan is just waiting for the moment when he commits his patented "move" - last night he kicked a goal kick laterally out of bounds. He also dicked around on the ball dribbling and almost lost it to Kamara for a goal. And then there were the couple times he came out on a corner and got nowhere near the ball, thus leaving the net open.

Mendoza : the speed demon that can't turn right per zoolander. Seriously, he stops the ball on a counter and then can't figure out which way to go only to lose it. Then there was the ball watching as Afful would go streaking down the side.

Neither guy should get any more starts until it can be proven other players aren't worse - that should take the rest of the season.

Last edited:
The results haven't gone our way but performance wise we're definitely better than last year. I believe the numbers will reflect that by the end of the season.

In the first half last night our defense looked worse than last year. The Crew were unlucky not to score six in the first half the way the ball kept flashing across our six yard box.

On the positive side I am getting more of my life back. Spending less time thinking about NYCFC and less time and $ planning and going to road games.

Too bad we can't combine Poku's attacking talents with Tmacs motor and positioning skill, then we'd have a super star.

Too bad we can't combine Poku's attacking talents with Tmacs motor and positioning skill, then we'd have a super star.

Poku is so much better than Tmac in every way. Super funny that it's even a conversation.

Reactions: The Toe
Poku is so much better than Tmac in every way. Super funny that it's even a conversation.

Two professional coaches with considerable professional soccer knowledge and experience clearly disagree based on playing time. Next time Poku comes on look how often his teammates point him where to go. He has not idea about positioning. I think he deserves the time he is getting and probably more but the level of delusion fans of this team have about his current skill level is astounding. Soccer is a lot more than getting an outlet pass and dribbling at people.

Or maybe I'm crazy and we should all go back the preseason nonsense worrying that we are about to loose him any moment to a top 5 club because clearly he's campions league level and for some reason the coaches are the only ones who don't see it. We better save Frank's DP spot for him. The way people talk about Poku around here it's like they think someone in Germany would be crazy to not be thinking I sure hope NYCFC makes Poku available soon I'd hate to have to go to my fall back plan and pick up Pogba what a step down that would be.

Have to disagree with you there. Poku is a beast on the ball no doubt. I think his ability to take guys on and carry the ball forward speaks for itself. But TMac has a much higher soccer IQ, is considerably better with his positioning on the field, and he works way harder off of the ball than Poku ever has. Also TMac has proven he is a very clinical finisher, and I don't think it would be accurate to say that Poku is markedly better than him in that area. I wouldn't argue too much if you said Poku has a higher ceiling long term because of his obvious athletic gifts, but I think it's a little far fetched to say its not even a conversation as this point in time. That being said I was glad to see Poku come on against Columbus and positively impact the game. I think both of these guys can help us.

How about that god awful moment when Hernandez and Brillant let Kamara or whoever fly by them on a long ball, didn't even run, put their hands up and waited for a call? Obviously we got lucky and the call was made, but I think that moment really signified how much of a fuck our CB's give. I was furious when that happened - you can't trust these refs for a second.

Honestly, the most immediate change that will pay instant dividends is to replace Saunders with Johansen. The kid can be no worse and likely infinitely better between the posts. The field players need to figure things out over time - the keeper needs to have inherent ability and talent & Saunders has neither.
Agreed. It seems odd to me that with Vieira putting so much emphasis on playing the ball out of the back that you wouldn't start the GK who is clearly so much more comfortable and composed with the ball at his feet. I know we haven't seen a lot of Johansen, but Saunders couldn't be that much better at stopping shots. Could he? This one baffles me.

Reactions: gbservis
Have to disagree with you there. Poku is a beast on the ball no doubt. I think his ability to take guys on and carry the ball forward speaks for itself. But TMac has a much higher soccer IQ, is considerably better with his positioning on the field, and he works way harder off of the ball than Poku ever has. Also TMac has proven he is a very clinical finisher, and I don't think it would be accurate to say that Poku is markedly better than him in that area. I wouldn't argue too much if you said Poku has a higher ceiling long term because of his obvious athletic gifts, but I think it's a little far fetched to say its not even a conversation as this point in time. That being said I was glad to see Poku come on against Columbus and positively impact the game. I think both of these guys can help us.
Completely agree with this. Poku may be by far the better athlete, but McNamara is the better soccer player. Ask me again in five years though, because Poku can become a much better soccer player but McNamara can't really learn to be the athlete Poku is.

Completely agree with this. Poku may be by far the better athlete, but McNamara is the better soccer player. Ask me again in five years though, because Poku can become a much better soccer player but McNamara can't really learn to be the athlete Poku is.
But McNamara can become even smarter and still be the better player

Reactions: gbservis