Nycfc V Dc Postmatch

I'm sorry but Grabavoy was the worst player on the field tonight. Completely useless offensively and defensively. Giveaways and no touches all friggin night...and year. He's no more than a spot sub hack.
You may be right, but you really can't underestimate how goddamn awful Wingert was. He absolutely should have been sent off.

So Vic Mensa didn't come to the concert because his flight got cancelled, or he missed it. At least we don't have to pay him his absorbent performance fee. I'm also going to try and have him pay for his expenses like food and towels that we bought for him as he requested. It was raining, it was cold. And the concert was outside (put under a tent) so it was all pretty bad. I got Vic's meat and cheese platter though that he didn't eat. One positive.

Oh, and this season is over as I watched from a classroom in an academic building, next to the outdoor venue, on a projector. Only got to see 41-halftime (at home) and 68-the end (in classroom). Some Chinese kid walked into the room, I was by myself and the lights were off. He's a Barcelona fan but he knew about Villa. He watched me die inside as our season did so too.

Some points from watching the highlights:
- Villa needs to finish
- Pirlo hasn't had one good free kick all season while wearing the sky blue
- Saunders fucked up that save which led to DC's 1st
- Jacobson fucked up which led to DC's 2nd

I'm going to crawl into a ball until 10/10 when Nordic Messi hopefully gets the start or at least plays to defeat Mexico.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
So Vic Mensa didn't come to the concert because his flight got cancelled, or he missed it. At least we don't have to pay him his absorbent performance fee. I'm also going to try and have him pay for his expenses like food and towels that we bought for him as he requested. It was raining, it was cold. And the concert was outside (put under a tent) so it was all pretty bad. I got Vic's meat and cheese platter though that he didn't eat. One positive.

Oh, and this season is over as I watched from a classroom in an academic building, next to the outdoor venue, on a projector. Only got to see 41-halftime (at home) and 68-the end (in classroom). Some Chinese kid walked into the room, I was by myself and the lights were off. He's a Barcelona fan but he knew about Villa. He watched me die inside as our season did so too.

Some points from watching the highlights:
- Villa needs to finish
- Pirlo hasn't had one good free kick all season while wearing the sky blue
- Saunders fucked up that save which led to DC's 1st
- Jacobson fucked up which led to DC's 2nd

I'm going to crawl into a ball until 10/10 when Nordic Messi hopefully gets the start or at least plays to defeat Mexico.
To be fair, and to contradict my own assessment, I was watching the "highlights" and the chance that Villa had off the Grabs-Lamps move was sabotaged by the godawful cabbage patch of a pitch. Ball for real just stopped before it got to the right side of his laces.

On another day we would've taken our chances, but we always look like conceding.

The 2nd half setup was far too negative - from coaching, tactical and belief aspects.

and we look exhausted after 70 minutes.

A game that illustrates and affirms exactly where we are.
Offensively dangerous.
Weak and suspect defending, as a whole squad.
A mish-mash of some hugely talented players and some really awful others.

The balance and blend needs looking at.
I'm confident that it will be.

This is what it sounds like, when pigeons cry...

I'll add this:

I was disappointed in Saunders' refusal to push that shot wide and actually centering the ball on his save. He made some great stops again, but the muff on the first goal was completely on him. That said, I'll take a good shot-stopper and poor long-distributor over the opposite.

Villa worked hard, again, and found some space, but holy shit he's got to bag one of those 4 shots he had within 20 yards. The chip was a great call on his behalf, but he played it way too high and didn't need to because Hamid was way off his line and in a pretty poor position, too. Curling something far-post would have been a pretty easy goal, too.

It resulted in some great chances and not enough goals, but the passing between our DPs and forward players within 20-25 yards is really pretty good and opportunistic. Playing short through the middle, to me, is much more attractive than constantly playing down the wings and that sets up well for the personnel we've got out there.

Jacobson (Yakobson in FIFA 16) and Ned had poor games. Mena was really pretty "meh", as well.

It stinks to see that we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with our lineup and formation. We desperately need a second striker to work with Villa, but we also need a mid to cover Pirlo. Frank has done well to attack behind David, but it's still too little up front, though we are one of the highest-scoring teams in the league, it's easy to see that we could actually be better. Problem will remain that the defense is suspect, however.

The team turned it on when it needed to, though they dug themselves too deep a hole to start the season, and we got a glimpse of what could have been had all the pieces fit back in March. With playoff chances as thin as Ned's hair, I'm grateful to have a team to call my own. Time to ruin everyone else's playoff hopes.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but Grabavoy was the worst player on the field tonight. Completely useless offensively and defensively. Giveaways and no touches all friggin night...and year. He's no more than a spot sub hack.
What was odd was that the (English-speaking) announcers were praising Grabavoy all match and saying how he was professional and an unsung hero, while at the same time saying Mix was questionable and perhaps just not good enough. It was like reading 1984 all over again.

Last edited:
What was odd was that the (English-speaking) announcers were praising Grabavoy all match and saying how he was professional and an unsung hero, while at the same time saying Mix was questionable and perhaps just not good enough. It was like reading 1984 all over again.
Well then I'm glad I had to watch the game in Spanish because I think my head would have exploded if I had heard that. Maybe Mix didn't play great last night but he was still a hundred times better than Grabavoy. On his worst night I would take Mix over Ned. Seven days a week and twice on Sunday.

We simply didn't do enough offensively last night. If memory serves, Hamid had 1 save and that was in the first minute just before Lampard put in the rebound. Yes we created chances that should have been finished (specifically speaking of Villa's numerous shots) but to not even test the keeper after the 1st minute is atrocious and was never going to be enough with our leaky defense and Saunders spilling saves all over the box.

Really looking forward to the offseason with the hope we cut some of this dead weight and make some inspiring acquisitions.

We should be the most dangerous team in the league on direct kicks with Pirlo et al. That never clicked for us since the Maestro joined. Villa hit some beautiful ones pre Pirlo and maybe we should have gone back to that once Pirlo shanked a few, notwithstanding Pirlo's free kick pedigree. JK's head shaking suggested he may have been thinking the same thing. Hopefully next season we become a threat to score every time we are fouled within 40 which is the way it should be.

That's seemingly every game. It's just announcers looking at stat sheets. He's just been a grinder for us. I would love for him to put up better numbers, but since he's not going to take on a lot of people win his dribbling, there wasn't much of a chance for it. We really need him up around the box next year.

Since we're done for the year, I would love to see us run a 3 man midfield with Poku, Pirlo and Mix, and let Frank play SS/CAM behind Villa and Mullins. Give it a run out. What could it hurt? You could have any of our midfielders rotate through that CAM role during the run of play and our attack would be really dynamic due to the various respective skill sets of FF, Mix and Poku.

I'm afraid Villa really needed to bury one or two of those great chances. And the Pirlo free kicks have been very disappointing. That could have been three points. Too bad.

This would explain Pirlo's free-kicks.

MLS goal dimensions - 24 feet wide (7.32m), 8 feet high (2.44m).
Serie A goal dimensions - 24 feet wide (7.32m). 24 feet high (7.32m).

It stinks to see that we're stuck between a rock and a hard place with our lineup and formation.

Agreed. Was having this discussion on the way home last night. Will find a thread or create one to discuss in detail.

Really looking forward to the offseason with the hope we cut some of this dead weight and make some inspiring acquisitions.

Who would you dump? Iraola isn't going to garner any interest. Many are saying Mix has to go and I still think that's a horrible idea. Other than Mix, we don't have anything. I'd hope that we could go two for on Iraola.

That's seemingly every game. It's just announcers looking at stat sheets. He's just been a grinder for us. I would love for him to put up better numbers, but since he's not going to take on a lot of people win his dribbling, there wasn't much of a chance for it. We really need him up around the box next year.

Since we're done for the year, I would love to see us run a 3 man midfield with Poku, Pirlo and Mix, and let Frank play SS/CAM behind Villa and Mullins. Give it a run out. What could it hurt? You could have any of our midfielders rotate through that CAM role during the run of play and our attack would be really dynamic due to the various respective skill sets of FF, Mix and Poku.

Bingo.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Since we're done for the year, I would love to see us run a 3 man midfield with Poku, Pirlo and Mix, and let Frank play SS/CAM behind Villa and Mullins. Give it a run out. What could it hurt?
I've been waiting to see this be the announced lineup since Pirlo's arrival. Don't see how anyone could stop us.

That's a dream line up.
Unfortunately, our safety 1st coach won't be brave enough to select it

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
This would explain Pirlo's free-kicks.

MLS goal dimensions - 24 feet wide (7.32m), 8 feet high (2.44m).
Serie A goal dimensions - 24 feet wide (7.32m). 24 feet high (7.32m).
That was, for me, what was so disappointing about the Pirlo free kicks last night. He has two great chances to win us the game at the end, and he didn't even put them on frame.

That was, for me, what was so disappointing about the Pirlo free kicks last night. He has two great chances to win us the game at the end, and he didn't even put them on frame.
Yeah, I've been wondering about this. Has he been practicing with different balls in training? How is Villa not getting a look in at this point?

Reactions: JayH