NYCFC v Reykjavik Postmatch

Also have to wonder if Iraola is being asked to do the same things we are asking of Matarrita.
I think his biggest transition is being asked to respond to Ir-oww-la.

Henceforth that is the only way I will be able to hear his name.

I think his biggest transition is being asked to respond to Ir-oww-la.

Henceforth that is the only way I will be able to hear his name.
I just hope we sign Norris!!! He needs a serious chant made for him - nobody else will understand it, which makes it all the more special when catching on.

Really interesting game. You guys already took the words right outta my mouth on several points, but some other thoughts I had:
  • Villa's misses were frustrating but let's give him some credit for drawing Reykjavik's defense and dishing it to Pirlo for the equalizer. It's one of those plays which looks simple but it's all in the timing, awareness and composure. By the time he released, Pirlo had all day to line it up.
  • Let's hope Taylor is getting his touch back because although he is a generous off the ball runner, his lack of composure is costing us chances and goals. There are a couple of times where a poor first touch slows the play down entirely. Also he fluffs his touch on the play which eventually led to Mix's winner. Or let's hope that Harrison can come in and win that spot because I think our wingers are now the underdeveloped muscle of our team. So nice for that to be the case, by the way. Hats off to The FO for a solid off-season.
  • Pirlo looked shaky but I think it took both him and the defense to get used to a committed man standing on him. Once we got accustomed to that we looked like a well-oiled machine again.
  • Iraola is a very different proposition on the right hand side than Matarrita and I wouldn't necessarily take that as a negative. Matarrita is a force to be reckoned with when he's got the ball in space but he's not (yet) so sharp in tight quarters / fast interchanges. On the other side, watching Iraola link up and skillfully create overloads in midfield has been joyous to watch (for me at least). He's never been he fastest player and I'm glad he's playing to those limitations. I think we'll see even more of this if we can be more patient in possession...
  • It's a bit of a luxury to be complaining about this, but it seems like we either turnover the ball in the back or we are able to set off deadly combinations of passes that lead to goal scoring opportunities. It's fascinating to watch, but I'd like to see us settle down and control the pace of the game a little better. Reykjavik pressed really well but we also didn't force them to press for extended periods of time by playing keep ball when the quick combinations aren't on. Instead there were a number of times where we tried to force the 1-touch play and it didn't come off, putting us in precarious situations.
  • I love Poku but I think TMac is a better "interpreter of space" (to cite Thomas Müller) at this point in time, especially in the early stages of games when we're feeling teams out, and I'm happy to see him starting right now, which may be contentious.
  • Love the idea of playing Bravo instead of White! And Johansen instead of Saunders seems like a matter of when and not if at this juncture.

Really interesting game. You guys already took the words right outta my mouth on several points, but some other thoughts I had:
Iraola is a very different proposition on the right hand side than Matarrita and I wouldn't necessarily take that as a negative. Matarrita is a force to be reckoned with when he's got the ball in space but he's not (yet) so sharp in tight quarters / fast interchanges. On the other side, watching Iraola link up and skillfully create overloads in midfield has been joyous to watch (for me at least). He's never been he fastest player and I'm glad he's playing to those limitations. I think we'll see even more of this if we can be more patient in possession...

There's a ton of good stuff in this post, but I wanted to focus on this one.

As I said in my match review, Iraola is a bit of an enigma for me. I look at a guy who has his resume and can't figure out why he isn't influencing the game more (age is always a possibility, but it doesn't seem like it).

As I read your post, I wonder if MLS is just not the right league for the things he is good at even though he could still excel in a tougher but more technical league like La Liga. I agree that he is skilled at working the ball around the corner of the 18. He isn't a guy that gets to the byline, but is clever around the top of the box. The question then becomes whether we have the right players around him to maximize those skills. For example, a guy like Shelton seems to be the polar opposite in terms of what he is good at and where he struggles. There might be more promise with Villa or with the various CAMs who are more technically proficient. I feel, though, like too often he gets sucked into the play too far up, but the team as a whole doesn't have the skill to finish the move and so the ball turns over with him out of position.

Anyhow, still thinking through this, but I want to watch it more closely.

There's a ton of good stuff in this post, but I wanted to focus on this one.

As I said in my match review, Iraola is a bit of an enigma for me. I look at a guy who has his resume and can't figure out why he isn't influencing the game more (age is always a possibility, but it doesn't seem like it).

As I read your post, I wonder if MLS is just not the right league for the things he is good at even though he could still excel in a tougher but more technical league like La Liga. I agree that he is skilled at working the ball around the corner of the 18. He isn't a guy that gets to the byline, but is clever around the top of the box. The question then becomes whether we have the right players around him to maximize those skills. For example, a guy like Shelton seems to be the polar opposite in terms of what he is good at and where he struggles. There might be more promise with Villa or with the various CAMs who are more technically proficient. I feel, though, like too often he gets sucked into the play too far up, but the team as a whole doesn't have the skill to finish the move and so the ball turns over with him out of position.

Anyhow, still thinking through this, but I want to watch it more closely.
Yeah, that's a good point. Villa tends to favor the left wing. Shelton and Taylor aren't (yet) quite subtle enough to play this role, but I feel like Mix is working quite well out there with Iraola. Perhaps it will take a little more time for that right side triangle to meld.

I think with the Iraola situation is he provides the balance to the defence overall, if matarrita is an attacking threat throughout the game this leaves Iraola to cover and provide the support that is needed.
On the white story i think that he is a work in progress but to an extent is something that is needed. It difficult to find two CB's that are ball player and still have the physique to be quality defenders. I think we have a nice compliment on this with Brilliant being the ball player and White being the speed and defensive option. The passing is also something that can be coached into with him still being young.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulrich and Sabo