Nycfc V Whitecaps Postmatch

Watching NFL football and a questionable play came up with review from officials. First thought that popped into my head was our game last night with those 2 awful penalties awarded. Have the MLS ever thought about instant replays/play overturns? It would behoove them to consider that element with our notorious officiating.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/all-star/2...arber-says-league-considering-instant-replay-

i am in strong support of replay when it won't stop the match and when it is a game-altering event - a red card, a penalty kick, or a goal. those three could have a replay from the booth while arguing/celebrating/other drama was going on.

Reactions: BEC SPK
EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!!!
Watching NFL football and a questionable play came up with review from officials. First thought that popped into my head was our game last night with those 2 awful penalties awarded. Have the MLS ever thought about instant replays/play overturns? It would behoove them to consider that element with our notorious officiating.
the problem is that would give our players disadvantage internationally. Diving and acting has been part game. I don't like it, but it's real life. There is no fairness in real life either

What is this obsession with fairness? It all evens out in the long run unless you are Manchester United, in which case it all works in your favor. ;)
MLS refs are crap but no worse than non EPL officials in the UK. Peter Walton was a great ref and a Notts County fans at heart but he doesn't seem to be doing a good job. What's the answer, sign refs from overseas?

Need some help. DC United is in free fall and you never know with Toronto. Win out and we certainly have a chance, albeit not the greatest. I believe.

If we don't make the playoffs though, it's for getting only 6 points in 5 matches against Philly and Chicago this season.

After these last few games I am over the stupid early part of the season.
For me, playoffs or not, the season and the future of this team started 3 games ago.
we look good and we have been getting a few of the breaks going our way finally.

Reactions: AJS
What is this obsession with fairness? It all evens out in the long run unless you are Manchester United, in which case it all works in your favor. ;)
MLS refs are crap but no worse than non EPL officials in the UK. Peter Walton was a great ref and a Notts County fans at heart but he doesn't seem to be doing a good job. What's the answer, sign refs from overseas?
They are not very good refs trying to deal with hack a shaq defenders, who are not very good to begin with, trying to contain relatively very good attackers. They could probably call 5 PKs per game, so it becomes a where do you draw the line thing. Add in that MLS in all its dopiness TELLS the refs to let things go, and therefore get out of hand, and you have an impossible situation for any ref. Last night was egregious, but he made up for it and the right team won. Cosmic balance restored.

Grabavoy prevented that from going in? R u fucking kidding me
No, I don't think so. I think Pirlo nutmegged him.

I watched the replay on slow motion about 5 times and couldn't tell for certain, but if you look at the angle in the photo I posted, Grabavoy never jumps, and if you look at it from the regular camera angle, the ball looks like it takes a deflection of some sort. The announcers pointed it out in the commentary

I watched the replay on slow motion about 5 times and couldn't tell for certain, but if you look at the angle in the photo I posted, Grabavoy never jumps, and if you look at it from the regular camera angle, the ball looks like it takes a deflection of some sort. The announcers pointed it out in the commentary
Looked like a designed screen to me.

Reactions: The Toe
Definitely a slight deflection. Just a question of whether or not it slowed the ball down enough to make a difference. I don't think it was making it to the back of the net either way.

Reactions: mgarbowski

I think if you had an mlb system where you have a control room that makes the back up calls and tells the sideline officials I think that would work best. That way it takes the judgement out of the field officials hands and would help to speed up what can be a slow decision making process.

I also think that it really should be implemented. A free kick gives you such an advantage on the outcome of a game that it shouldn't be decided by a couple sh*t refs. If the ref didn't give us that "make up free kick", we would have been robbed of two points, which is huge this time of season.

btw, what's up with Saunders lately? on steroid? not complaining but curious...or maybe things got so bad he does not care anymore which took the nervousness out of him and freed him?

Have the MLS ever thought about instant replays/play overturns? It would behoove them to consider that element with our notorious officiating.
You know what?
Any other sport and I'd agree with you, but we don't need replay technology turning a clean two hour production into three hours or more because of your insatiable need to "get things right."

I'll be a Luddite on this one.

If you like, I'll support shooting the referee pre-match before the home crowd at their next match.

Also so many of the calls that get people upset are judgment calls. I can't believe people think replay would be clear and non-controversial on fouls and PK calls. There are no hard, clear rules that a replay ref could seize upon. You'd just be substituting the judgment of someone in a booth for someone on the field. The only foul calls that would be subject to clear review would be those based on a total dive, where the "fouled" player goes to ground without being touched at all. If the player was touched, but arguably not enough for a foul, it's all judgment. If getting the ball were a defense to fouling someone you could review that, but it isn't (except sometimes it is clearly a factor based on, yes, judgment. The difference between foul, yellow and red is pure judgment. This is exactly why holding and pass interference calls are not subject to review in football. There is contact, but was it enough?
Goal line technology works great. It's a shame it is so expensive. The ball is either past the line or not. We could put cameras on the end line and use replay for disputed goals but there really aren't that many. Offsides is theoretically conducive to replay, because the player is either beyond the next to last defender or not. But the necessary system of cameras to allow review of offsides calls would be ridiculously huge. So what are we going to review here?

Garber expressed his support for the replay idea during the all-star game. There have also been rumors about certain MLS teams being used as Guinea pigs for instant replay (see article below). Apparently over the last two seasons RSL, Vancouver, and Philadelphia have had instant replay used behind the scenes, and they have been testing the time it would take to review a call and send factual info to the ref to make a final decision. From these tests they found it takes about 20 seconds to review the play and get all the info they need. It would still be the ref's decision, but he would have a factual review to back it up.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/sep/16/can-video-replay-work-in-soccer-mls-thinks-so

Edit: Note that any implementation of replay would need to be blessed by FIFA, and essentially would need to be used in all of the other major leagues as well. I don't think it will happen anytime soon, but FIFA hasn't totally shot it down yet.

Last edited:
btw, what's up with Saunders lately? on steroid? not complaining but curious...or maybe things got so bad he does not care anymore which took the nervousness out of him and freed him?

I think he had a bad run for a few games, but he's obviously back to playing very well. One of these days, he really has to win Save of the Week.

Reactions: Paul
Also so many of the calls that get people upset are judgment calls. I can't believe people think replay would be clear and non-controversial on fouls and PK calls. There are no hard, clear rules that a replay ref could seize upon. You'd just be substituting the judgment of someone in a booth for someone on the field. The only foul calls that would be subject to clear review would be those based on a total dive, where the "fouled" player goes to ground without being touched at all. If the player was touched, but arguably not enough for a foul, it's all judgment. If getting the ball were a defense to fouling someone you could review that, but it isn't (except sometimes it is clearly a factor based on, yes, judgment. The difference between foul, yellow and red is pure judgment. This is exactly why holding and pass interference calls are not subject to review in football. There is contact, but was it enough?
Goal line technology works great. It's a shame it is so expensive. The ball is either past the line or not. We could put cameras on the end line and use replay for disputed goals but there really aren't that many. Offsides is theoretically conducive to replay, because the player is either beyond the next to last defender or not. But the necessary system of cameras to allow review of offsides calls would be ridiculously huge. So what are we going to review here?
As replay in football shows it doesn't get more calls right, it just moves bar of argument to more minutiae.

Last edited:
For anyone that says instant replay will ruin the flow of the game (many said this for football, baseball, etc.), there are easily 90-120 seconds that are wasted every single time a penalty is called and players run up to the refs and get in his or her face. Plenty of time to have the tape looked at.

For anyone that says instant replay will ruin the flow of the game (many said this for football, baseball, etc.), there are easily 90-120 seconds that are wasted every single time a penalty is called and players run up to the refs and get in his or her face. Plenty of time to have the tape looked at.
Yeah, that's what they said about "football, baseball, etc." and it's turned out to longer games in each and every case. Leave soccer alone.

Luddites Unite!!