Nycfc V Whitecaps Postmatch

Yeah, that's what they said about "football, baseball, etc." and it's turned out to longer games in each and every case. Leave soccer alone.

Luddites Unite!!

They also get more calls right in those sports than they did before, which is the top priority.

Even if video review in soccer did cause an additional delay (which it wouldn't, because review would take place during the existing delay), this would be worth it.

Yeah, that's what they said about "football, baseball, etc." and it's turned out to longer games in each and every case. Leave soccer alone.

Luddites Unite!!

this isn't a good argument against limited replay. when the position is that replay should be used in game-changing scenarios (PK, red, goal) that ordinarily have some aspect of delay anyway (celebration, arguing) and that the replay should not take longer than any delay so to remain seamless, saying BUT OTHER GAMES PAUSE BECAUSE THEY HAVE MORE REPLAY isn't really helpful or persuasive.

Reactions: BEC SPK and Tony L
Perhaps we could just take the money we would invest in replay technology and just train better refs? While I could really care less if they tried to implement replays for game changing calls that would cause a small delay anyway, I feel I have to point out that the ENTIRE WORLD manages to do without it, and I think we can too. Lets get the sport thriving here first, then try to Americanize it later ... if we must.

For anyone that says instant replay will ruin the flow of the game (many said this for football, baseball, etc.), there are easily 90-120 seconds that are wasted every single time a penalty is called and players run up to the refs and get in his or her face. Plenty of time to have the tape looked at.

Can the replay supporters explain what type of plays there would like to see for replay?

If goals, why not use goal line tech?
If red cards, how do you account for subjectivity in the rule book? Can you show me exactly what is red card worthy that needs replay to see?

Reactions: Gene
Can the replay supporters explain what type of plays there would like to see for replay?

If red cards, how do you account for subjectivity in the rule book? Can you show me exactly what is red card worthy that needs replay to see?

Larin sent off for a straight red 30 minutes in for studs up. Orlando lose 2-0 with 10 men, and the red is later rescinded. There is clearly enough time to take a second look at it, if anything. Not saying anything about the actual call made here, but the fact is the ref completely changed the outcome of the game and it was later taken back. They can't take back the loss, but maybe a one minute review would have changed things there.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ds-orlando-city-sc-forward-cyle-larins-red-ca

Reactions: BEC SPK
http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/appeal-review-red-card-decision

^ link to appeal process for red cards. IMO, it doesn't make sense to have this available and not support instant replay.

If a straight red can be reviewed and rescinded after the fact, why can't it be reviewed in real time to take the real sting out of the decision? Sure, making the player available for the game they would have missed is a benefit, but playing with 10 men is the real effect. If you rescind a red, then the red didn't happen - but the punishment already has.

I think this and PKs, which dramatically change the outcome of the game (and therefore season) could benefit from a second look. Either way, none of this is in our hands. If FIFA decides to go for replay, it won't be just MLS, it would be every organization implementing it together.

Larin sent off for a straight red 30 minutes in for studs up. Orlando lose 2-0 with 10 men, and the red is later rescinded. There is clearly enough time to take a second look at it, if anything. Not saying anything about the actual call made here, but the fact is the ref completely changed the outcome of the game and it was later taken back. They can't take back the loss, but maybe a one minute review would have changed things there.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ds-orlando-city-sc-forward-cyle-larins-red-ca
So what about cases where it should be a red, but the ref doesn't call it? Do we stop the game and review that? Do the coaches get challenges?

It's definitely a tough balance, and at the moment with the red card appeal process I think it's out of balance. I think you have to go one way or the other, and shouldn't hover in between. Right now a team does have a number of challenges (2 per season, which they have to post bond for, and are penalized if it is frivolous) that can be made defensively - but as explained above, it only fixes the next game suspension, not the 10 man punishment and its ultimate effect.

If we had a way to review during the game (using one of the 2 challenges per season), then a 10 man punishment could be avoided and everyone made whole. To your point, to complete that balance then teams would ideally be able to make an offensive challenge for a red card non-call the same way. I think if you keep it limited to 2 challenges per season just like it is now, but give it real time effect, then we might be closer to that balance.

Again, this is not something that a couple of workday procrastinators on a forum can solve overnight. It's going to take years of testing (going on now) and it will need to be FIFA that makes the ultimate decision for every league, but the fact is Garber and MLS are behind it 100%, and are willing to let us be the guinea pigs.

Reactions: BEC SPK

Penalties without a doubt in my mind should be reviewed due to their effect in the outcome of a match (see our last game as a glaring example). Red card scenarios are a bit of a compromise but I'm sure a final product could come to fruition. The only subject I'm iffy about would be offsides because that could potentially alter the game we know completely and I believe it should stand as a judgement call.

Reading Soccer America's power rankings under both our heading (17th ) and white caps (4th) they bitch big time about how horrible the call for Lamps' drawn PK for Villa's winner was and don't note that the PK call that tied the game for them was just as bad, idiots.

Reactions: Gene
Reading Soccer America's power rankings under both our heading (17th ) and white caps (4th) they bitch big time about how horrible the call for Lamps' drawn PK for Villa's winner was and don't note that the PK call that tied the game for them was just as bad, idiots.
Are you guys still shocked that the MLS soccer "media" is one sided against us? Bet you had the game ended 1-1 there wouldn't be a peep about the bullshit PK call on Angelino.