Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

It would be nice to see Tosin Adarabioyo to come to New York. He has all the attributes to be a top class centre half. Maybe they won't go for EDS loanees, if it is cheaper to bring them in from other teams.

Reactions: Kjbert
With Harrison counting as a domestic, and assuming Teixeira and Matarrita are brought in, we are left with 2 of our 10 international spots available.

I think we should look at one more front line player and one more centerback. Assuming we are starting to get close to the cap, let's take some cheap loanees - Brandon Barker and Tosin Adarabioyo:

http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=9qy8d

That looks like a complete roster to me.

EDIT: For some reason the image isn't attaching. You'll have to click the link.

EDIT 2: 15 minutes old and already out of date - no Teixeira :(

Last edited:
Reactions: BxLio91
I think he's counting as an international, actually.
Not listed as an international on the MLS rosters page, nor on NYCFC's roster page. I think it's safe to infer he won't count.

i assumed he was on a green card based on some online comments of him possible being part of USMNT, even though i always thought you had to have a US passport to do so.

Jack Harrison is getting one of those NYCID's that de Blasio has hyped up. He's a domestic, hopefully. Or they'll finalize his green card situation before the season starts.

Reactions: The Toe
With the Teixiera news, I think DeMechelis is headed here on a 1.5 year deal.

Reactions: gbservis
i assumed he was on a green card based on some online comments of him possible being part of USMNT, even though i always thought you had to have a US passport to do so.
His comments went no further than to say he'd need to have a discussion with his mother about dual citizenship before it could even start to happen.

When he was at prep school, his mother wasn't in the US, was she? How would a minor not living with a permanent resident parent qualify for a green card?

Like the
Here is a lineup with the current roster. 4-1-3-2

View attachment 3819
Like the players, but I think that formation may leak goals. I would push Poku and Villa out on the wings, let Lampard play further forward and tell Mix he needs to be disciplined and hold. Then Pirlo roams around.

I think Allen for Iraola may also be necessary to get some defensive solidity.

Like the

Like the players, but I think that formation may leak goals. I would push Poku and Villa out on the wings, let Lampard play further forward and tell Mix he needs to be disciplined and hold. Then Pirlo roams around.

I think Allen for Iraola may also be necessary to get some defensive solidity.

I think all three of Lampard, Pirlo, and Mix will be playing as holding midfielders. Really packing the center of the pitch. Only one goes forward at a time.

For that reason, I like Poku as a CAM in a 4-3-1-2 or False 9 in a 4-3-3. His physicality up front would take so much attention away from Villa, who was hounded by CB's all last year.

But I think center forward is more likely Villa's spot in a traditional 4-3-3. Our young guys run round on the wings while Poku rotates in with Mix and Lampard and starts in place of Pirlo when he's gone for the Euros. This is what Occum's Razor tells me.

What do we think of this lineup?

View attachment 3890
I think it is the right personnel, but is defensively risky because of the formation. I think somebody needs to sit deeper than Pirlo and you need width up top to avoid having to rely on the fullbacks to get upfield too much, which exposes the defense.

So, I would shift Mix back (or someone else there is he cannot do the job tactically), move Poku and Vila wider and Lanpard up, and play more of a 4-3-3.

Reactions: CCMore