Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

Jack Harrison is now listed as an international player. We are out of spots. Two spots expire after this year. We can trade for more this year and next year.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Jack Harrison is now listed as an international player. We are out of spots. Two spots expire after this year. We can trade for more this year and next year.
That said, assuming we don't trade for more spots, who do we see leaving?

Assuming Lampard isn't given a contract extension, that frees up one spot. Is Eirik gone? How long is Iraola's contract for?

Are there steps that can be taken by Jack Harrison to become a citizen and not take up an international spot?

Reactions: FootyLovin
That said, assuming we don't trade for more spots, who do we see leaving?

Assuming Lampard isn't given a contract extension, that frees up one spot. Is Eirik gone? How long is Iraola's contract for?

Are there steps that can be taken by Jack Harrison to become a citizen and not take up an international spot?
If I was Eirik Johansson and Diego Martinez, I would make sure I made myself indispensable this year. That being said, I think we will continue to acquire more intl spots as a rule going forward.

If I was Eirik Johansson and Diego Martinez, I would make sure I made myself indispensable this year. That being said, I think we will continue to acquire more intl spots as a rule going forward.
It wouldn't be shocking to see the league add more spots as well unless the specific number is prescribed in the CBA with the union. In general, it seems like we are moving (slowly) towards roster liberalization as they try to attract more talent.

Reactions: Kjbert and LionNYC
NYCFCfan NYCFCfan What's the latest on Wingert? He's clearly not in camp and hasn't mentioned the team in a while. Also, have any trialists been spotted in Florida? Thanks for keeping us in the loop on the scoop.
Everyone's asking and I honestly don't know. I've asked around but no one knows. He doesn't seem to be in camp, but no word if he's injured or not.

Technically we have -3 international spots right now.
We traded for 2. Both of them expire after this season leaving us with a dilemma. Either trade for more international spots (which I'm assuming we did now so we can get this loan) or not renew contracts.
So we need to release some Internationals. Pirlo/Lampard/Iraola would free up those spots and A LOT of cap space so that we can sign some talented young DP's and really begin building a team.
Also before we sign anyone else we'd still have to clear other Internationals or trade for spots again.

We traded for 2. Both of them expire after this season leaving us with a dilemma. Either trade for more international spots (which I'm assuming we did now so we can get this loan) or not renew contracts.
So we need to release some Internationals. Pirlo/Lampard/Iraola would free up those spots and A LOT of cap space so that we can sign some talented young DP's and really begin building a team.
Also before we sign anyone else we'd still have to clear other Internationals or trade for spots again.

Johansen has one year to prove himself. Plus Pirlo, Lampard, and Iraola might be gone, as you mentioned. That alone gets us down from 11 (with Bravo) to 7. Bravo's loan expires, might drop us to 6.

Point being, I think it will be manageable. I think we'll always trade for enough spots to be in the 9-11 range at all times anyway.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
I bet we transfer somebody out - perhaps a GK - to level the international spots

Reactions: JayH
What is more interesting, who are the trialists and can you name the full roster that is training with the team at the camp please?
I know of two of the trialists currently with the team. One a GK the other a young midfielder.

As for the full roster, if I had it I'd know what's up with Wingert.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
From mlssoccer.com:

New York City FC
ROSTERED PLAYERS (25 of 28 spots filled):
GK (2):
Eirik Johansen (INT'L), Josh Saunders
DEF (10): RJ Allen, Connor Brandt, Frederic Brillant (INT'L), Jason Hernandez, Andoni Iraola (INT'L), Diego Martinez (INT'L), Ronald Matarrita (INT'L), Jefferson Mena (INT'L), Ethan White, Chris Wingert
MID (9):
Mehdi Ballouchy, Mix Diskerud, Jack Harrison (GA, INT'L), Andrew Jacobson, Frank Lampard (DP, INT'L), Mikey Lopez, Tommy McNamara, Andrea Pirlo (INT'L, DP), Kwadwo Poku
FWD (4): Patrick Mullins, Khiry Shelton, Tony Taylor, David Villa (DP, INT'L)

DESIGNATED PLAYERS (DP): 3
HOMEGROWN PLAYERS (HG): 0
INT'L ROSTER SPOTS FILLED (INT'L): 10
GENERATION ADIDAS PLAYERS (GA): 1

Johansen has one year to prove himself. Plus Pirlo, Lampard, and Iraola might be gone, as you mentioned. That alone gets us down from 11 (with Bravo) to 7. Bravo's loan expires, might drop us to 6.

Point being, I think it will be manageable. I think we'll always trade for enough spots to be in the 9-11 range at all times anyway.
Who is Bravo?