Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

If we try for Kimpembe during the summer, assuming we sign Texeira and Matarrita, we'd have to trade for another international spot.

Assuming Matarrita, Teixeira, and a 4-3-3, here's how we stand:

Center Forwards:
Villa, Mullins, Poku
Wingers: Villa, Shelton, Harrison, Taylor, McNamara, Ballouchy
Midfielders: Pirlo, Lampard, Mix, Poku, Jacobson, McNamara, Ballouchy
Fullbacks: Iraola, Matarrita, Allen, Wingert, Brandt
Centerbacks: Teixeira, Mena, Hernandez, White, Wingert
Keepers: Saunders, Johansen

(Italics indicate a player's second position.)

I think these are the outstanding questions:

1. What position does Poku play? Is he a center forward, or is he a midfielder? Some still argue he should slot in as a winger too.

2. By extension, where does Villa play? Almost surely at center forward, but does Poku or Mullins at that spot and Villa at left wing make for a better overall lineup?

3. What do we do with our last international spot? Most likely it will be used for an EDS loanee, but at what position?

4. Who do we sign as our third keeper? Do any other spots need depth? We have five spots left on our supplemental roster, or four if you subtract a spot for the presumed EDS loanee.

No one wants to compare us to RBNJ but I remember reading somewhere that when Terry Henry played for them, people complained that he was making nearly as many goals but his assist count went way up. I'm curious to see if something like this would happen if Villa was moved to the left side, less goals but more production. I know the Bold Prediction thread is dead but I want to say if villa was moved out and Mullins played St/CF we would be raving about Mullins almost as much as Poku. Don't give me flack but that's my bold prediction if we play Villa out and Mullins in.

If you look under the MLS Roster page, Jack Harrison is not listed as an international player and not counted toward our number of intentional roster spots. We have 10 total spots, two of which expire at the end of the calendar year 2016 because we traded for them. Next year we only have 8 unless we make trades for more.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/rosters/2016

Reactions: Kjbert and sbrylski
If you look under the MLS Roster page, Jack Harrison is not listed as an international player and not counted toward our number of intentional roster spots. We have 10 total spots, two of which expire at the end of the calendar year 2016 because we traded for them. Next year we only have 8 unless we make trades for more.

This would be great if true and not premature. I don't know whether he qualifies for a Green Card given the time he's already spent in the states, but it's certainly possible.

So, Matarrita is supposedly coming in under the maximum salary, so we don't need TAM for him. Not sure about Teixeira. I assume we've found a way to use TAM money for Mix.

So, it seems likely that we could have enough TAM money for another big signing. What kind of player should we look for? Another CB? A Winger? Could we chase Tim Howard or Brad Guzan for TAM money?

Could we chase Tim Howard or Brad Guzan for TAM money?

Don't think we are getting Howard for TAM money. Regardless of his age one of the smaller city MLS teams will give him serious DP money just for the giant bump in attendance he would provide.

This would be great if true and not premature. I don't know whether he qualifies for a Green Card given the time he's already spent in the states, but it's certainly possible.

Any special rules because of GA that would cause him not to count regardless of his green card situation?

I know the Bold Prediction thread is dead but I want to say if villa was moved out and Mullins played St/CF we would be raving about Mullins almost as much as Poku. Don't give me flack but that's my bold prediction if we play Villa out and Mullins in.

I think Mullins deserves a shot to show what he can do in the starting line up. Villa has expressed that he prefers playing in the center but then he always drifts out wide left anyway. Hopefully he would be open to giving it a go on the LW so that Mullins can get a shot. The fact that we hear nothing about the team looking for another striker makes me think they are very confident in Mullins. Either way I think he will get considerably more time this year. Just think of how much more time he would had gotten last year if he took all of Nemec's early season min.

Reactions: CCMore
I think Mullins deserves a shot to show what he can do in the starting line up. Villa has expressed that he prefers playing in the center but then he always drifts out wide left anyway. Hopefully he would be open to giving it a go on the LW so that Mullins can get a shot. The fact that we hear nothing about the team looking for another striker makes me think they are very confident in Mullins. Either way I think he will get considerably more time this year. Just think of how much more time he would had gotten last year if he took all of Nemec's early season min.
I just want Villa to express that he can play a match without pouting & walking.

Reactions: Kjbert

they expire? i thought they were for keeps

Reactions: Kjbert
I just want Villa to express that he can play a match without pouting & walking.

the more the years pass the more this happens. we start pouting more and no longer able to run as much:D

No one wants to compare us to RBNJ but I remember reading somewhere that when Terry Henry played for them, people complained that he was making nearly as many goals but his assist count went way up. I'm curious to see if something like this would happen if Villa was moved to the left side, less goals but more production. I know the Bold Prediction thread is dead but I want to say if villa was moved out and Mullins played St/CF we would be raving about Mullins almost as much as Poku. Don't give me flack but that's my bold prediction if we play Villa out and Mullins in.
I watched every second that Henry played with the redbulls and no way villa does what Henry did in terms of assists. Different players different roles.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT