Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

Seems like a good move to me. 4th round pick is meaningless and he is definitely an upgrade over KWS and a wash with Brovsky in terms of money. We still have guys we can cut *COUGH* Jacobsen* COUGH* Wingert* So im optimistic.

i still think we need a DM type player to accompany pirlo.....jacobsen is the closest we got thats why he kept playing.

Reactions: adam
i still think we need a DM type player to accompany pirlo.....jacobsen is the closest we got thats why he kept playing.
I agree. In an ideal world Pirlo wouldn't have to worry about defense. MLS is too fast and strong for him. Jacobsen is well, we all know what he is. Sometimes he flashes me good dribbling skills but is way out of position and really is not defensive minded.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Your CB depth

Hernandez
Mena
White
Wingert

Not sure what the plans are with Teixiera, but that seems to be a lot of money tied up at CB already ($765k).

I wonder if this means Hurtado just got an all expenses paid vacation to Puerto Rico - not to mention he gets to watch the game for free! Id like to think the 24 year old would be a better choice over 31. Would they sign both? Or can Hurtado play LB/RB?

We need moves like this. Giving up a 4th rounder for a young cb with good mls experience. He had some pretty good games back at dc. I can't remember much of him recently though. We needed cover in the back last.....badly. More depth at cb equals less chance of seeing wingert in the center

Also- Philly is notorious for getting the shit end of trade deals. We might be huge winners on this one.

Reactions: Sabo
List of defenders that cost less than Ethan White ($125k) and were available in the Waiver Draft:

axobFWF.png

List of defenders that cost less than White and are available in the Re-Entry Draft:

CSM0QAz.png

(I didn't sort out the CB from the FB because I'm uncertain about some players.)

To be completely honest, I don't really know how Ethan White would stack up to some of the other younger, cheaper guys on this list, but it seems like, for a 4th CB and developmental guy, someone like AJ Cochran could have done the job for cheaper? Maybe Tommy Meyer from LA?

Thought it would be a good exercise for comparison.

List of defenders that cost less than Ethan White ($125k) and were available in the Waiver Draft:

axobFWF.png

List of defenders that cost less than White and are available in the Re-Entry Draft:

CSM0QAz.png

(I didn't sort out the CB from the FB because I'm uncertain about some players.)

To be completely honest, I don't really know how Ethan White would stack up to some of the other younger, cheaper guys on this list, but it seems like, for a 4th CB and developmental guy, someone like AJ Cochran could have done the job for cheaper? Maybe Tommy Meyer from LA?

Thought it would be a good exercise for comparison.
A few things to consider.... White has a fair amount of game experience. younger guys may be cheaper, but having somebody that has played in probably some meaningful games is important. Then there's the chemistry question. White may not have had great chemistry at Philly, hence his demotion; similarly, NYCFC had horrible chemistry in the back for most of the season. A CB pairing comes down to skill and chemistry. Before we discount White's ability to contribute, we need to see how he meshes with our other defenders. For all we know, he and Mena could be the two guys that can anticipate the others' play; or White and Hernandez..... we just don't know yet. But I still like him as a 3rd/4th CB over a guy with no experience, even for 50K more. As to the guys that are on the Draft lists that are cheaper - there's a reason they're not paid much and on the draft lists instead of a roster.

A few things to consider.... White has a fair amount of game experience. younger guys may be cheaper, but having somebody that has played in probably some meaningful games is important. Then there's the chemistry question. White may not have had great chemistry at Philly, hence his demotion; similarly, NYCFC had horrible chemistry in the back for most of the season. A CB pairing comes down to skill and chemistry. Before we discount White's ability to contribute, we need to see how he meshes with our other defenders. For all we know, he and Mena could be the two guys that can anticipate the others' play; or White and Hernandez..... we just don't know yet. But I still like him as a 3rd/4th CB over a guy with no experience, even for 50K more. As to the guys that are on the Draft lists that are cheaper - there's a reason they're not paid much and on the draft lists instead of a roster.

There's also a reason Philly let White go for a 4th round pick. White is, by all accounts, replacement level. And whatever upside we are telling ourselves he has, we would probably tell ourselves the same thing about Cochran or Meyer if we selected one of them.

I don't mean to be so negative, but managing a salary cap requires unwavering frugality and constant vigilance. If you slip into the mindset of "he's just a few more bucks" or "it's still a backup salary," you're going to leave dollars on the table. The difference between a well managed cap and a poorly managed cap is in the margins. You spend big on certainty, and cut costs everywhere else, down the penny. At the end of the day, it adds up.

Three moves like this, you just cost yourself another South American at $200k. And if you're willing to do it the first week of the offseason, and be the only one of 18 other teams to be interested in the player, you appear prone to do stuff like this again.

Last edited:
You also need a willing trade partner. He may have been the best option available with a realistic trading partner.

There's also a reason Philly let White go for a 4th round pick. White is, by all accounts, replacement level. And whatever upside we are telling ourselves he has, we would probably tell ourselves the same thing about Cochran or Meyer if we selected one of them.

I don't mean to be so negative, but managing a salary cap requires unwavering frugality and constant vigilance. If you slip into the mindset of "he's just a few more bucks" or "it's still a backup salary," you're going to leave dollars on the table. The difference between a well managed cap and a poorly managed cap is in the margins. You spend big on certainty, and cut costs everywhere else, down the penny. At the end of the day, it adds up.

Three moves like this, you just cost yourself another South American at $200k. And if you're willing to do it the first week of the offseason, and be the only one of 18 other teams to be interested in the player, you appear prone to do stuff like this again.
Unwavering frugality and constant vigilance mean nothing if the cheapo player can't earn time on the field. I'd rather pay a little more, especially at the CB position, for a guy that has experience. And the fact that he's American keeps another international spot open.

Don't put all of your faith in just any South American player for $200K..... might I remind everybody that Calle was exactly that and he was slow, lazy on the tackle, and made of glass. I'll leave the snark out, but that's not a good use of $200K simply for a South American player.

Reactions: Kjbert
Unwavering frugality and constant vigilance mean nothing if the cheapo player can't earn time on the field. I'd rather pay a little more, especially at the CB position, for a guy that has experience. And the fact that he's American keeps another international spot open.

Don't put all of your faith in just any South American player for $200K..... might I remind everybody that Calle was exactly that and he was slow, lazy on the tackle, and made of glass. I'll leave the snark out, but that's not a good use of $200K simply for a South American player.
The only problem with Calle was the injuries, otherwise he was one of our better players

The only problem with Calle was the injuries, otherwise he was one of our better players
We will have to agree to disagree on that because there wasn't a single game I saw him play well in except for the moment of his goal when he stepped in front of the defender for the tap in.

Go rewatch and you'll see he lunges with his leg on tackles and his speed is pedestrian.

The open question for the scouts is how much better is White than the cheaper options? Tommy Meyer is making $15k above minimum salary. Ethan White is making $65k above minimum salary. For it to be a good gamble, White has to be over 4x as likely to make an impact than Meyer.

Let's say he passes that test based on the scouting reports. Great. But now we have to ask whether it will matter. Is 4x better than Tommy Meyer any good? Will his play, should he find his way into the lineup, lose us games anyway? Then what is he actually worth? Still pretty much nothing.

My concern is whether there was an internal process such as this. It's hard for me to see how this signing makes sense beyond:

Philly is having a fire sale
Anyone free?
They'd give us Wright
Oh, he's ok and we need another CB body
$125k isn't too bad
Let's do it

I hope they have a better internal process than that, but this is how it reads to me.

Would you rather swing and miss or not swing at all? You're giving away the chance in order to possibly, marginally, improve your 4th CB spot.

The open question for the scouts is how much better is White than the cheaper options? Tommy Meyer is making $15k above minimum salary. Ethan White is making $65k above minimum salary. For it to be a good gamble, White has to be over 4x as likely to make an impact than Meyer.

Let's say he passes that test based on the scouting reports. Great. But now we have to ask whether it will matter. Is 4x better than Tommy Meyer any good? Will his play, should he find his way into the lineup, lose us games anyway? Then what is he actually worth? Still pretty much nothing.

My concern is whether there was an internal process such as this. It's hard for me to see how this signing makes sense beyond:

Anyone free?
They'd give us Wright
$125k isn't too bad
Let's do it

I hope they have a better internal process than that, but this is how it reads to me.

Would you rather swing and miss or not swing at all? You're giving away the chance in order to possibly, marginally, improve your 4th CB spot.
I agree with you this concerns me. It isn't like this guy is cheap. He makes a solid MLS salary and for that he needs to contribute. We need more RJ Allens then we need Brovsky's.

Anyone free?
They'd give us Wright
$125k isn't too bad
Let's do it

Ouch.

as pointed out earlier, he was a guy who went from starting on the 2nd worst team in the league to 4th string on the 2nd worst team in the league, to being given away for free from the 2nd worst team in the league. And he is more expensive than comparable players

One question that could make this moot,does his salary put him in the bottom eight, cap exempt slots? if, so, all this doesn;t matter