Official: Nycfc Signs Andoni Iraola

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Looks like it's a lock. Widely reported already.
Assuming this isn't a DP signing.
Position - RB
Age - 32
Coming from Athletic Bilbao

Some highlights

Looks like this one shows all his goals for the club

Iraola is not just some right back. He's team captain (for one of the greatest clubs in the Spanish state's League, IMO) and a Spain national squad player. He takes penalties and free kicks for a pretty powerful side, and should have the experience to single handedly whip our defence into shape given even the slightest talent and commitment from three other players. We'd be very lucky to have him. A link up of him on the right, moving forward, through Lampard to Villa is pretty magnificent.

So he's not Pirlo. But there are only a handful of players at Pirlo's level.

Iraola is not just some right back. He's team captain (for one of the greatest clubs in the Spanish state's League, IMO) and a Spain national squad player. He takes penalties and free kicks for a pretty powerful side, and should have the experience to single handedly whip our defence into shape given even the slightest talent and commitment from three other players. We'd be very lucky to have him. A link up of him on the right, moving forward, through Lampard to Villa is pretty magnificent.

So he's not Pirlo. But there are only a handful of players at Pirlo's level.

I wouldn't be disappointed in his talent level if he's a DP. I'd be disappointed in the position we used the spot on. He would be the only DP fullback in the league, I believe.

Can't imagine the Wall-Street-/-DC-level of financial magic that would be needed to bring him in under the Designated Player salary cap. He's in his younger 30s, hasn't been injured, and a clever organizer of back lines. I think he's worth what we'd pay.

If we can get him under the cap and save the third spot, Claudio Reyna should never have to buy a drink again as long as we live.

@NYCFCWatch: It also looks very likely that NYCFC will be able to keep Iraola under the DP cap. Nabbing him as a non-DP is a MASSIVE signing for NYCFC!
They're forgiven and then some for Lampard if this is the case. I want to give Claudio Reyna a hug right now

You know who is happiest about this?

Don Garber. This guy just captained a team that played in the Copa Del Rey. And he's choosing to play here.

How much of that is CFG? How much of that is David Villa? Who knows. But I bet a lot of it is New York City.

And that makes Garber look like a genius.

This is New York City, we have the financial knowledge and greed to keep his salary under the DP level. And since MLS doesn't reveal contract numbers we obviously know what's going to happen. He's going to be paid the league minimum on paper and have the rest of his salary spread between expense items on the Yankees, Man City, Melbourne City, Yokohama, and CFG. He'll be paid this money secretly amongst several banks accounts and oil drums.

Villa, Lampard, Mix, Iraola, and potentially a 3rd DP?

That's $436,250 * 5 = $2,181,250.

Which leaves $1,308,750 to pay our remaining 15 spots that count against the cap, or $87,250 per player. Keep in mind the minimum is $60k.

We are either cutting things razor thin, or Garber is dumping tons of allocation money in our (and probably other team's) pockets.

Reactions: TommyM
Don't forget that roster spots will be opened up for our new signings...

Reactions: TommyM
This right here....I expect, at a minimum, 3-4 current players to be cut, sold, or loaned to make room for new signings. Iraola and Lampard is just the beginning. In total, we could see upwards of 10 new players at NYCFC this Summer.
Is that a good thing, though? We're just now starting to see this team gel as it is.

Watching Saunders try to organize the defence tonight several times. Watching Villa come back and defend. We have a talent problem and an organizational problem. Iraola can go a long way to solving both, and our midfield can begin receiving, holding, and attacking (for a change)!

Reactions: Mflynn1921