Orlando - Postmatch

Don’t know what R roxfontaine was seeing. Tummy Ucubed Macnamara was horrible. He had like 3 touches in the first half. One was an important clearance that bounced off of him after another pidgeon kicked it. He was so bad, PV took him off at half. When was the last time you saw a halftime sub from PV.
They showed the game on YES this morning (randomly discovered) so I watched it and cataloged all his touches they showed on screen:

2 - pressured defenders in Orlando third
6 - involved in brief interception in Orlando 18
10 - heads away Klestjan corner
11- steals ball away from Klestjan in midfield
- two other plays at 12 13
15 clears dangerous ball out for corner (could’ve let it go to Johnson though)
21 two good midfield touches
23 great challenge as last man back against Colmán
25 pressured short corner passes
27 pressured defender trying to get ball out of their end
28 good one-touch to advancing player
29 clears ball under pressure after Colmán hits the post
33 random good pass in midfield
Goal! (not by McNamara, of course)
after the goal several involvements in defending - no specific touches that they showed on TV though

Seems like he does a little bit more than he generally gets credit for.

I think it depends on who is available, who we are up against, whether we are home and away etc.

A few weeks ago we were tearing PV apart for not having a different look. One (more) emphatic win at home and we are back to "4-3-3 is the only way we play".

Personally my belief is that we should have our best players in the starting XI. Whatever formation that means we need to have, that's the formation we should have. Maximize your talent with the look that gives it the best chance for success. That's the coach I want.

Personally my belief is that we should have our best players in the starting XI. Whatever formation that means we need to have, that's the formation we should have. Maximize your talent with the look that gives it the best chance for success. That's the coach I want.
I am with you on that. Mostly.

I mean, yes and no. The problem's that your best formation is the one that accommodates your best players, but your best players are whoever's most effective in your chosen formation. And it's important that your team train and play a consistent lineup in a familiar formation, except when the opponent dictates that another formation with a different lineup would be better. It turns out that soccer is actually pretty complicated, and in the end it's hard to say anything categorical about how NYCFC's starting eleven should look except that it doesn't involve Tommy McNamara.

Two quick non-game related thoughts:
  • The coloring of the seats in the away section was a great gesture by the club
  • Supporters Section was a ton of fun, and the new chant rocked. I was flipping through channels yesterday and decided to catch the end of a replay on YES and man was it loud. Also great to see the clapping to Come on New York throughout the whole stadium at one point.

• Supporters Section was a ton of fun, and the new chant rocked. I was flipping through channels yesterday and decided to catch the end of a replay on YES and man was it loud. Also great to see the clapping to Come on New York throughout the whole stadium at one point.
Agree big time on the seats.

I could only watch on TV, but you are correct that the crowd sounded great.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Which new chant?

They showed the game on YES this morning (randomly discovered) so I watched it and cataloged all his touches they showed on screen:

Seems like he does a little bit more than he generally gets credit for.

This completely. He does good linkup work, but people just choose not to see it. Someone at the game said to me at about 30 mins they hadn't even seen him touch the ball yet.... People see what they want to see!

He does make mistakes too and those get pulled up far more than other people's mistakes. If Villa loses the ball twice and Tommy does the same thing, Tommy gets far more abuse for it.

I didn't think he was bad enough on Saturday to merit being hooked at half time, but that seemed more like a formation change than anything else and he was the most expendable.

Don't get me wrong - he has his moments (was like playing a man down against Houston) and is generally a skill level or two below most of our other starters - but the level of criticism he comes in for when he hasn't done much wrong, or not much more than others, is crazy.

Reactions: joe and Fake Jew
Interesting, I was in 237 and don’t remember hearing this at all. I think I heard some other yelling after goalkeeper kicks, but it didn’t sound like it was p*to
It was only sung once, earlier in the match. I was in 237 as well and I do remember singing it, a few minutes before losing most of my voice.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Thanks SoupInNYC SoupInNYC and Christopher Jee Christopher Jee. I wasn't at the game and appreciate the feedback.

I don't remember hearing it at the previous home game (Colorado), but it definitely has continued to pop up this year.

There is the you shit bastard chant that also starts with an ehh crescendo.
I am familiar with this and agree that it wouldn't be confused for p*.

bad faith interpretations of fairly benign statements.
Not really sure what this is referring to