Playoff Schedule Announced

Gene

Registered
Donor
Mar 19, 2014
Down & Out
From mlssoccer.com:
The playoff format remain unchanged. Ten clubs will qualify for the MLS Cup Playoffs -- the top five in points from each conference at the end of the regular season:

• The 4th- and 5th- place teams will play a single knockout game, and the winner will advance to the Conference Semifinals and face the 1st-place team in the conference;
  • The Conference Semifinals will be decided by a two-game, aggregate-goal format;
  • The Conference Championships will be decided by a two-game, aggregate-goal format;
  • MLS Cup will be hosted by the finalist that finished the regular season with the most points in the standings
The playoffs will be broadcast on ESPN, NBC/NBCSN, and Univision in the United States and on TSN and RDS in Canada.

The MLS Cup final will air on ESPN, UniMas, TSN and RDS networks.

MLS Cup Playoffs 2014, presented by AT&T schedule:

Conference Knockout Round

• Wed-Thurs, Oct. 29-30
Conference Semifinals

• Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 1-2
  • Leg 2, Sat-Sun, Nov. 8-9
Conference Championships

• Leg 1, Sat-Sun, Nov. 22-23
  • Leg 2, Sat-Sun., Nov. 29-30
MLS Cup Final3 pm ET, Sun., Dec. 7
Don't like the idea of the final going up against the NFL on a Sunday afternoon. Wonder why they couldn't play the game Saturday?

Either way I'm looking forward to the playoffs getting underway. I wouldn't particularly say the league is wide open at this point, imo 7 out of the 10 teams in the playoffs have a legit shot at winning it all. I'm calling a RBNY vs LA Galaxy finale.......

Actually pretty excited for the playoffs. I haven't watched a ton of MLS this season, just because of a lack of rooting interest (although I do watch every goal scored on KickTV). I think the playoffs will serve as a solid appetizer for next season.

Reactions: Paul
LA vs RB? Ugh.

How about DC vs Seattle?
Wouldn't argue that at all, but as a Giants fan I can tell you first hand it's not necessarily the best team that advances, but the hottest going in.

In their last 4 league games RBNY has taken 10 out of 12 points. They drew with Philly and beat DCU, SKC and Seattle (that last one may be tainted, but it's still a win ;) ). A quick look at their remaining schedule shows they can enter the playoffs on a roll. BWP has been on fire all year and this possibly being Henry's last season he may goes balls out to retire a champion. Add to the fact that if Cahill comes alive (he scored for the 1st time in awhile Saturday) they're going to be tough.

Actually pretty excited for the playoffs. I haven't watched a ton of MLS this season, just because of a lack of rooting interest (although I do watch every goal scored on KickTV). I think the playoffs will serve as a solid appetizer for next season.
Agree. I watched a lot of games in the beginning of the season, but as summer wore on I really didn't have the time. I have to admit I've really been digging watching these late West Coast games on tv the past two weeks. The Western Conference playoffs are going to be intense.

Two weeks to go in the regular season.

DC United, New England and SKC have clinched spots in the East. The Red Bulls, Columbus, Toronto and Houston will battle for the last 2 positions. The Red Bulls and Columbus have their fates in their own hands and should get in.

Seattle, LA and Real Salt Lake have West spots locked up with Portland, Dallas and Vancouver fighting it out for the last two places to the dance. Only 3 points separate them, so anything goes in the West (although Dallas does have a game in hand, so that obviously is in their favor).

Last edited:
Rooting for some combination of New England/SKC vs. Seattle/LA

Those 4 teams are playing the most attractive soccer right now and all bring star power. Watching SKC and LA play is enjoyable. Can't stand the way NYRB, Toronto or Houston play. Portland can be fun to watch.

Toronto should be fun to watch but it's tough.

As long as TFC doesn't qualify they will forever be worse than anything any other team could do.

Reactions: Kjbert
Dallas gets in by beating the Galaxy 2-1 tonight.

Supporters Shield on the line and that Seattle-L.A. home and home series to wind up the regular season is going to be great to watch.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I think I might try and go to the NYRB game if it is home.

From mlssoccer.com:
Don't like the idea of the final going up against the NFL on a Sunday afternoon. Wonder why they couldn't play the game Saturday?

Either way I'm looking forward to the playoffs getting underway. I wouldn't particularly say the league is wide open at this point, imo 7 out of the 10 teams in the playoffs have a legit shot at winning it all. I'm calling a RBNY vs LA Galaxy finale.......
At least the final is only a week after the Conference Championships. Wasn't it like 2 or 3 weeks later last year? Just enough time to make sure no one but the fans of the respective teams didn't give a shit anymore..

How do you even get to the RedBull Arena? You can't park anywhere there right?

http://www.newyorkredbulls.com/HUB/GettingtoRBA

I've never been to Red Bull Arena and I guess it all depends on who you talk to when it comes to how easy it is to get there.

For every guy I've seen on the 'net who says getting there in a huge PITA, I've seen guys say just the opposite. I guess it depends on what you're used to doing when it comes to travelling.

They have a PATH system from the WTC, but I think the station in Harrison is closed on the weekends because of renovations. From what I understand it was old, antiquated and really wasn't equipped to handle the crowds after a match.

You can get a couple of trains from Penn Station, but I believe that involves getting on a shuttle from the Jersey stop to the Arena.

It looks like there's plenty of parking, but being shoe horned off side streets makes it look like a hassle getting out of the lot to make your way back to the Turnpike. I guess someone who has driven there can straighten us out on that.

I live uptown and have always driven to RBA. GWB > NJ Turnpike > 280 to Harrison exit. Drive through Harrison over the bridge and street park in Newark.

Toronto and Montreal end up in a 1-1 draw this afternoon, so Columbus locks up the final playoff spot in the East.

--DC United
--New England Revolution
--Sporting Kansas City
--New York Red Bulls
--Columbus Crew

There is still one spot open in the West.

--Seattle Sounders
--Los Angeles Galaxy
--Real Salt Lake
--FC Dallas
--Portland Timbers or Vancouver Whitecaps

Toronto and Montreal end up in a 1-1 draw this afternoon, so Columbus locks up the final playoff spot in the East.

--DC United
--New England Revolution
--Sporting Kansas City
--New York Red Bulls
--Columbus Crew

There is still one spot open in the West.

--Seattle Sounders
--Los Angeles Galaxy
--Real Salt Lake
--FC Dallas
--Portland Timbers or Vancouver Whitecaps
I can't believe I'm saying it but I'd be happier to see the Revs advance through the knockout round than I would RB.

I would love to see Revs take on either Seattle, RSL or maybe Portland.

However, the most epic story would be the Red Bulls win it all this year, setting things up for a titanic battle next year with NYCFC. Not that you guys really want that. ;)

Since I picked them to go to the finals (and given my picks are the kiss of death), I can't see that happening. ;)