Predict Nycfc's First Game Location And Opponent

Is this just you guessing or is this an educated guess? If this is an educated guess, what is the precedent? I am honestly curious.

I was thinking about this too. Would they have opening day at YS against NJ or would they have us play a couple games first?

I doubt they would open up with a local rivalry. It also depends on what the Yankees event schedule is like in March. I know there aren't baseball games yet, but they may have other crap going on.

More than likely NYCFC is going to wing on down to Florida to take on Orlando.

Can't see them opening up with the Red Bulls in NJ right away.......and there's no way in the world they open up with the Red Bulls at Yankee Stadium.

I assume they will have a bunch of home games right out of the gate while the baseball season isn't in session.

probably the first game will be a homegame. they would probably do tht to hype up the fans.

side note: but i would love to go to portland to see a game there.

The first game will be a home game. March will see a bunch of home games both because they don't interfere with the Yanks and that it gives NYCFC a bunch of games to advertise to generate interest. I expect the first 2-3 games to be at home.

As for opponents, I'm thinking Seattle or LA Galaxy. MLS will want a big name squad with a big name USMNT star. This may change depend on who shines in the World Cup, but opening NYCFC by saying "Come see Clint Dempsey" or "Come see Landon Donovan" will help get the ball rolling.

I'm thinking a friendly against Orlando as well. Two teams that are new to MLS so there is no expectations or standard. Having them play a seasoned team would be unfair.

Well except maybe Chivas USA. Aren't they going to through the rebrand by 2015?

Yeah. Chivas is supposed to be rebranded with a new owner next year. There have been rumors that there's an ownership to be announced after the World Cup, but nothing firm.

MLS teams seem to be all over the place with friendlies. They all train in similar locations and play each other but also play smaller teams from the US or international teams. For example:

http://www.bradenton.com/2014/04/22/5114838/mls-preseason-at-img-academy-had.html

I wouldn't schedule Seattle or L.A. early in the year at home. You would have a much better chance for a full house in the warmer months and when school is out. Early March 32 degrees with freezing rain would be an attendance disaster.
I mean WE all would be there, but ya know...

I get the feeling A LOT of info is being withheld until after the World Cup.

The World Cup is going to block out any info our fledgling league puts out from now until its over.....

BUT if Team USA does really well, every bit of news MLS puts out will be amplified by about 100.

I wouldn't schedule Seattle or L.A. early in the year at home. You would have a much better chance for a full house in the warmer months and when school is out. Early March 32 degrees with freezing rain would be an attendance disaster.
I mean WE all would be there, but ya know...

Well they can't control the rain, but if that's the case and you're playing the IMpact you're probably getting the folks at this site and the guy who mistakes the commotion for a Yankees game.

Philly at Yankee Stadium
That or DCU would be my bet. I would bet they put the first RBNY as a late April/May affair.

Of course, we may open on the road for 3 weeks straight or something after MLB releases the schedule.

Home against rebranded Chivas team.

As it is the home opener it will sell out against any team and the new LA team could use that exposure and hype to get their new name out. No point on "wasting" the first match on a derby or a match against teams that draw well for sporting reasons.

I could see a "cold open" where they play a friendly, just to get an idea of game day foot traffic and logistics.

Since they already played there a few times, a little inter-city friendly

NYC FC vs Man City

:)

I could see a "cold open" where they play a friendly, just to get an idea of game day foot traffic and logistics.

Since they already played there a few times, a little inter-city friendly

NYC FC vs Man City

:)
and risk the possibility of us getting washed? That's not smart

A friendly against a European team in the middle of their season is pretty much out of the question. They just don't have space in their schedules. Teams like MCFC have twice as many games per season to play as NYCFC will have.