Questions For "third Rail"

You people are harsh. Geeze.

TR actually put out a draft of their statement on FB and let people critique it before they put out the "official" version. I thought it was well put. Straight and to the point. No ridiculous overreactions.

I don't have a problem with him but I feel like there's no action with the TR. We are two months out and what have they done to prep for the season?

What have YOU done to prep supporters for the season?

You say there is no action; I'd love to hear what your involvement has been. What have you organized for supporters? If you have good stuff going on, I'd like to get involved as I support pretty much all things NYCFC related. The best way to build community is to participate with the community.

I've been to the TR meetings. I've been to the TR events. They are about action and they try hard. If they weren't I would surely report that they weren't because I don't give a ****. Truth is truth. The truth, as it stands now, is that the Third Rail is a cool supporters group and I'm happy to be a member.

I think one of the issues is they run a closed group on reddit (I believe) where chants etc are discussed. We don't hear much about TR goings on on this forum. Would be nice if we got some updates since I am too old to be dicking around on reddit.

I've never seen the reddit. I don't bother with that nonsense either. As I mentioned in my intro post, I was a regular participant in the private facebook group but I've since deleted my page so I haven't been able to check in as I used to. I still follow their tweets and whatever e-mail communications I get.

I don't see an issue with running closed chats/forums, etc. They've asked people to pay for membership. That SHOULD come with some sort of exclusivity. Otherwise, what are we paying for? More than that, it keeps a greater number of trolls out of the mix. So many just want to poke at them and cause trouble and will follow them around everywhere in digital space to stir up drama.

Reactions: LostAnvil
No I am fine with a closed group, I am a member too, we just don't hear much about what they are doing, so it may lead to the impression they are not doing anything.

What have YOU done to prep supporters for the season?

You say there is no action; I'd love to hear what your involvement has been. What have you organized for supporters? If you have good stuff going on, I'd like to get involved as I support pretty much all things NYCFC related. The best way to build community is to participate with the community.

I've been to the TR meetings. I've been to the TR events. They are about action and they try hard. If they weren't I would surely report that they weren't because I don't give a ****. Truth is truth. The truth, as it stands now, is that the Third Rail is a cool supporters group and I'm happy to be a member.

Nothing, except pay my dues which gives me an opinion on what the group is doing which is, in my opinion, not enough. I didn't volunteer myself to be one of the so-called leaders or organizers for good reason, I have too much on my plate. I do appreciate the people that have taken up those roles but if you put yourself in that position then you should be open to criticism. What have they done besides take six months to send out damaged scarfs and even longer for membership cards that are already expired?

This response isn't really for you. It's for anyone else who may see this and think that's how everything operates with TR.

Let me tell you the whole story. I can be trusted to tell the whole story, and tell it in truth, because I was there to see it all in real time.

1. They didn't take 6 months to send out damaged scarves. The whole story is that they placed the orders for the scarves as soon as the winning member design was selected in August. Then, we got e-mail messages asking us to let them know if we wanted to pick the scarves up or have them shipped. I chose to pick mine up. Which I did at the TR Halloween Party on November 1st. The scarves arrived in the middle of October.

It was a complicated design to begin with. What do you mean "complicated?" I'll show you:

The design: http://www.thirdrailnyc.com/2014/08/and-winner-is.html
Me with my scarf: http://instagram.com/p/vBm2ZpEJxu/

The company hired to produce them is Ruffneck Scarves, so it's no janky budget company. This is a reputable business. The scarves took a while to produce. That makes sense. When the boxes arrived, we were notified. At the next meeting after the scarves arrived, I went to Nevada Smith's and picked my scarf up. Some people forgot that they said they'd pick theirs up. Some people joined late and thus got their scarves late. Some of the scarves were shipped and returned thus delaying the process (and likely cost the TR an assload of money).

In any case, the scarves were shipped out as fast as they could be given that probably 3 people tops were working on packing and shipping 700+ scarves in their free time. The ones that weren't 100% satisfactory were a surprise to everyone. They are taking care of all of them as quickly as they can from what I've seen. I know for a fact that you can return your less than perfect scarf and they will switch it for a new one that is satisfactory. That there are some mistakes doesn't surprise me though. That's how manufacturing works. Some stuff just isn't perfect.

2. I picked my membership card up at Nevada Smith's... at the first official meeting... in August. It's a beautiful card by the way. Delayed cards were probably the result of delayed scarves. It makes sense that they wanted to make one shipment instead of two.

3. What else have they done?

-Well, I was on field at MCFC vs. Liverpool with the TR. Right behind the goal and the game ended in PKs ON MY SIDE!
-They got other members in at every press event.
-I drove to Montreal with a guy I'd never met just because he is in TR.
-I've gone to almost all of the meetings and parties they put together.
-I went to the USMNT game in CT with them (and bought the t-shirt). A bunch of people didn't make it to the game because the buses they coordinated got totally obliterated for time by traffic. They gave everyone the option to either get a full refund or apply their money to a 2015 membership. The buses left from NYC at 2pm for a 7pm kickoff. Buses are commercial and have to take a specific way. They still made their way to a bar and watched the game together. I drove myself and even taking back roads, it took me over 4 hours. I just BARELY got there in time.
-They got us a great discount at Upper 90 (which I used to get my son a Japan national team jersey for Christmas for 22 bucks).
-They fielded a damn competitive amateur soccer team in the Supporters Club Cup.
-They are petitioning for NYCFC license plates.
-They've done two cash prize FIFA video game tournaments.
-They collected donations for the Gemmell Fund.

I mean... "What have they done?" Really? What have YOU done? I have done plenty with them.

They are absolutely fair game for criticism. I just want to know what basis the criticism is founded on.