Questions For "third Rail"

I'll try my best. I think most of the discussion happens in the facebook group. I'll ask on Sunday about making sure some of those conversations reach other places. Worst case scenario, I'll reopen my facebook page and just go check myself and try to avoid all the other crappy facebook stuff.

In the end, I want a great match day experience. If you guys can provide that in the supporter's sections, I'll be more than happy. I'll leave my criticisms to myself from now on and trust that the powers that be are doing their best.

I'll also be happy to re-up for 2015.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I'll try my best. I think most of the discussion happens in the facebook group. I'll ask on Sunday about making sure some of those conversations reach other places. Worst case scenario, I'll reopen my facebook page and just go check myself and try to avoid all the other crappy facebook stuff.
There is a section on the forum dedicated to Third Rail. All the Board Members have Mod privilege there. Unfortunately they are not active at all. People here tend to be hard on Third Rail because, as one of the largest online NYCFC communities they (as an organization) do not use the forum. A few of their board members are still active users here though.

If you, or anyone else wants to act as liason for Third Rail you are more than welcome to. Be sure to run it by their Director of Social Media first.

http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?forums/nycfc-third-rail-supporters-group.41/

Yeah, I've seen it. It's a ghost town.

My guess is that they just go to where their people are... which is facebook... which makes sense. It's really the easiest way to block out all the noise and get to the meat of handling the real business of the group. Buckley Buckley, thoughts/suggestions?

This response isn't really for you. It's for anyone else who may see this and think that's how everything operates with TR.

Let me tell you the whole story. I can be trusted to tell the whole story, and tell it in truth, because I was there to see it all in real time.

1. They didn't take 6 months to send out damaged scarves. The whole story is that they placed the orders for the scarves as soon as the winning member design was selected in August. Then, we got e-mail messages asking us to let them know if we wanted to pick the scarves up or have them shipped. I chose to pick mine up. Which I did at the TR Halloween Party on November 1st. The scarves arrived in the middle of October.

It was a complicated design to begin with. What do you mean "complicated?" I'll show you:

The design: http://www.thirdrailnyc.com/2014/08/and-winner-is.html
Me with my scarf: http://instagram.com/p/vBm2ZpEJxu/

The company hired to produce them is Ruffneck Scarves, so it's no janky budget company. This is a reputable business. The scarves took a while to produce. That makes sense. When the boxes arrived, we were notified. At the next meeting after the scarves arrived, I went to Nevada Smith's and picked my scarf up. Some people forgot that they said they'd pick theirs up. Some people joined late and thus got their scarves late. Some of the scarves were shipped and returned thus delaying the process (and likely cost the TR an assload of money).

In any case, the scarves were shipped out as fast as they could be given that probably 3 people tops were working on packing and shipping 700+ scarves in their free time. The ones that weren't 100% satisfactory were a surprise to everyone. They are taking care of all of them as quickly as they can from what I've seen. I know for a fact that you can return your less than perfect scarf and they will switch it for a new one that is satisfactory. That there are some mistakes doesn't surprise me though. That's how manufacturing works. Some stuff just isn't perfect.

2. I picked my membership card up at Nevada Smith's... at the first official meeting... in August. It's a beautiful card by the way. Delayed cards were probably the result of delayed scarves. It makes sense that they wanted to make one shipment instead of two.

3. What else have they done?

-Well, I was on field at MCFC vs. Liverpool with the TR. Right behind the goal and the game ended in PKs ON MY SIDE!
-They got other members in at every press event.
-I drove to Montreal with a guy I'd never met just because he is in TR.
-I've gone to almost all of the meetings and parties they put together.
-I went to the USMNT game in CT with them (and bought the t-shirt). A bunch of people didn't make it to the game because the buses they coordinated got totally obliterated for time by traffic. They gave everyone the option to either get a full refund or apply their money to a 2015 membership. The buses left from NYC at 2pm for a 7pm kickoff. Buses are commercial and have to take a specific way. They still made their way to a bar and watched the game together. I drove myself and even taking back roads, it took me over 4 hours. I just BARELY got there in time.
-They got us a great discount at Upper 90 (which I used to get my son a Japan national team jersey for Christmas for 22 bucks).
-They fielded a damn competitive amateur soccer team in the Supporters Club Cup.
-They are petitioning for NYCFC license plates.
-They've done two cash prize FIFA video game tournaments.
-They collected donations for the Gemmell Fund.

I mean... "What have they done?" Really? What have YOU done? I have done plenty with them.

They are absolutely fair game for criticism. I just want to know what basis the criticism is founded on.

Hey dude, first I want to say thanks for posting this. Really amazing what has been done, and I can't imagine how much work an SG must be to run. Seeing this list you posted, what is missing is in-game atmosphere items. Are chants done and memorized, or is TR still sticking to the organic approach? Which in my opinion is the wrong way to go about it. The jersey unveiling event was proof that spontaneous chants don't work. What else is being done for the games? Tifos? I noticed that the official Red Bull site has all the chants, and a fan choreography graphic for the Viking Army. Any similar plans in the works?

I ask because I'm not a TR member, so I'm not privy to this stuff, but still care about TR.

Hey dude, first I want to say thanks for posting this. Really amazing what has been done, and I can't imagine how much work an SG must be to run. Seeing this list you posted, what is missing is in-game atmosphere items. Are chants done and memorized, or is TR still sticking to the organic approach? Which in my opinion is the wrong way to go about it. The jersey unveiling event was proof that spontaneous chants don't work. What else is being done for the games? Tifos? I noticed that the official Red Bull site has all the chants, and a fan choreography graphic for the Viking Army. Any similar plans in the works?

I ask because I'm not a TR member, so I'm not privy to this stuff, but still care about TR.
Pretty sure the first 5-6 songs and chants we got are being distributed in person on Sunday, and will be on the Interwebs the next day. Ill be sure to post em here so everyone can get a read.

Pretty sure the first 5-6 songs and chants we got are being distributed in person on Sunday, and will be on the Interwebs the next day. Ill be sure to post em here so everyone can get a read.

Awesome!

Also a bunch of songs/chants are being recorded in a studio so fans and members of the TR can hear it in time and can be distributed digitally.

Also a bunch of songs/chants are being recorded in a studio so fans and members of the TR can hear it in time and can be distributed digitally.

This is great. I definitely want to learn the chants and songs even though I won't be in the supporters sections. As long as they're PG. I'll be going to games with my kid, would be awesome if he can learn them as well, so we can chant together.

Wow that sucks because I posted a thing about 'New York Belongs to Me' and the band, Roger Miret and the Disasters were interested in getting involved in someway. Maybe if there was more communication between 'Third Rail' members and others, this could've become a reality.

Wow that sucks because I posted a thing about 'New York Belongs to Me' and the band, Roger Miret and the Disasters were interested in getting involved in someway. Maybe if there was more communication between 'Third Rail' members and others, this could've become a reality.
If you are talking about having "NY Belongs to Me" as an intro or outro song for NYCFC, then TR are not the people to talk to as they have no control over that.

It is an awesome song, though. Especially cool if the band actually wants to be involved!

If you are talking about having "NY Belongs to Me" as an intro or outro song for NYCFC, then TR are not the people to talk to as they have no control over that.

It is an awesome song, though. Especially cool if the band actually wants to be involved!
Yeah I've been trying to find out who I get in touch with about this.

I know the people want more transparency as to what is going on in regards to what we are doing/ game day experience and whatnot and we plan to do just that. As stated above most of our discussions take place on your Facebook page which you need to be a paid member to have access to (there is another general nycfc supporters page but its a clusterfuck in there) but yeah if you guys have any questions or any feedback you'd like me to pass on to the rest of the board just let me know!

I know the people want more transparency as to what is going on in regards to what we are doing/ game day experience and whatnot and we plan to do just that. As stated above most of our discussions take place on your Facebook page which you need to be a paid member to have access to (there is another general nycfc supporters page but its a clusterfuck in there) but yeah if you guys have any questions or any feedback you'd like me to pass on to the rest of the board just let me know!
I follow the facebook page casually, in that I periodically go onto the page itself from FB, and I never heard about the chants/songs thing.
I could care less about transparency, but probably wouldn't hurt to at least have someone mention when big things happen in TR on this forum.

Will be the Third Rail present in all 17 NYCFC AWAY GAMES ?
I think that's a lot to ask (financially) haha but the ones that are relatively close (DC, NE, ETC) I think they're doing buses and well have a huge presence.

Reactions: einwindir