Rivalry With Ny Cosmos?

G-Train Queens

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 5, 2014
Forest Hills, Queens
I was at the Ireland v Portugal game last night and they were advertising NYRB and the NY Cosmos game as the derby match of NY for the US open cup this weekend. I was wondering if we are going to have some songs about them because they really are the only other team in NY (since the Red Balls are in NJ). I know we wont be playing them often but it will be a West Ham v Millwall sort of rivalry. Just throwing this out there.

I was at the Ireland v Portugal game last night and they were advertising NYRB and the NY Cosmos game as the derby match of NY for the US open cup this weekend. I was wondering if we are going to have some songs about them because they really are the only other team in NY (since the Red Balls are in NJ). I know we wont be playing them often but it will be a West Ham v Millwall sort of rivalry. Just throwing this out there.

To Cosmos fans, a romanticized West Ham v Millwall sort of rivalry. To us, just some second division club. To me, irrelevant.

NYCFC will play the New York *Buy AMP Energy Drinks* 3 times a year whereas they'll play the Zombie Peles only once in a blue moon, if the Zombie Peles manage to advance far enough in the U.S. Open and happen to draw NYCFC. I imagine most of the rivalry will be between the fans, especially since MLS teams are notorious for not prioritizing the US Open matches. So there isn't a need to create songs for them.

Reactions: Gene
The Cosmos fans who hate NYCFC are straight up losers. Period. Nobody has rivalries with minor league teams.

P.S. I'm rooting for RB this weekend because we don't need these NASL junkies to keep trying to say the leagues are on the same level... promotion/relegation... rah rah rah.

NYCFC will play the New York *Buy AMP Energy Drinks* 3 times a year whereas they'll play the Zombie Peles only once in a blue moon, if the Zombie Peles manage to advance far enough in the U.S. Open and happen to draw NYCFC. I imagine most of the rivalry will be between the fans, especially since MLS teams are notorious for not prioritizing the US Open matches. So there isn't a need to create songs for them.
I think not thinking enough of them to bother making songs is even more insulting. Those dummies literally feed off of our trash and we're not even feasting yet. All of their 12 fans follow NYCFC on social media and stay commenting on any sort of NYCFC related info. If they put the same effort slobbing on our balls to promote their minor league club, they'd actually trick more people into thinking this current joke is the same as the 4 year period the og cosmos are known for. Some sad fat dunce online keeps on pitching some stupid tournament between us, NJ and Hempstead called the empire cup which pretty much is only the f.cosmos benefiting from the exposure being around major league clubs.

Reactions: Gene
Realistically it won't make the slightest difference
Doesn't matter to you or me but I wonder if it can significantly hurt their bottom line. They seem to not quite have the money they claim or project.

Doesn't matter to you or me but I wonder if it can significantly hurt their bottom line. They seem to not quite have the money they claim or project.

My point is, just because Emirates are pulling out from FIFA, ithey won't pull out of their Cosmos deal. And even if in some parallel dimension they did, the Cosmos would be laughing as sponsorship deals contain heavy penalty clauses to stop the sponsor paying out - Emirates would basically have to pay the entire value of the sponsorship in one go, and then Cosmos would get a new sponsor so they'd have twice the cash.

But I reiterate - Emirates won't sever their ties to football teams just because they're walking out on FIFA. That's not how it works.

Important to note that Emirates aren't "pulling out" of anything. Their contract expires at the end of this year and they and Sony aren't interested in signing new ones with FIFA. Perhaps they see more value in putting that money into more shirt sponsorships; maybe its too expensive for the return, whatever.

All the "rivalry" that has been drummed up between NYRB, Cosmos and NYCFC fans so far is embarrassingly forced. The NYCFC Supporters FB page seems like a bunch of 15 years yelling about how shit NYRB are.

Rivalries are BUILT on the pitch, not CREATED on social media. It's awful.

Obviously there is a geographic rivalry. BUT THAT'S IT. Once NYCFC plays some matches and shows that they can compete, then yeah, some rivalries will come. But starting shit for the sake of starting shit before the team even has enough players to field a team is embarrassing to the fan base.

/rant

That said, I think any matches between these teams should be called the Empire Derby.

All the "rivalry" that has been drummed up between NYRB, Cosmos and NYCFC fans so far is embarrassingly forced. The NYCFC Supporters FB page seems like a bunch of 15 years yelling about how shit NYRB are.
Couldn't agree more. To each his own I guess, buts that's why I removed myself from the FB page.

They'll be a huge rivalry with the Red Bulls. That's all but assured. But the Cosmos? C'mon guys, who really gives a shit about them? To bring them into any discussion is like talking about any rivalries between the Yankees, Mets and Brooklyn Cyclones.

They have zero presence in this city and if it weren't for a handful of their short bus riding fan base that spams the internet you'd never know they existed.

I say just ignore them completely. You don't see top teams in other countries consider division 2 teams their rivals. Even just acknowledging them at all only helps the Cosmos.
I wasn't really acknowledging them as a rival just thought this was the appropriate thread to talk trash about them.

Reactions: whill4
I say just ignore them completely. You don't see top teams in other countries consider division 2 teams their rivals. Even just acknowledging them at all only helps the Cosmos.

In Europe and South America, rivalries are almost entirely predicated on geographical proximity, and if another major club (by which I mean professional club) is based in the same city as you, you automatically consider them a rival. Sure, if the two teams have never met then people will consider the rivalry to be shallow, but due to all the cup competitions that's rare anyway, and even if it happened then the first time it happened then both teams would be determined to gain the upper hand and so the rivalry would kick in.

People might claim that a team a couple of leagues below them is no rival, but trust me, as soon as the two teams meet again, even if only in a cup, then the ferocity kicks in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Anglian_derby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_London_derby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_F.C.–West_Ham_United_F.C._rivalry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Country_derby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_City_derby
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_United_A.F.C.–Manchester_United_F.C._rivalry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyne–Tees_derby