Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I've rented my UWS apartment for the last 35 years. You're going to ask my landlord...who doesn't live anywhere near here...for HIS opinion?!?

Clearly you are from the burbs.
Well, you can be replaced as a tennant (eviction etc...) however, the guy who owns the land cant. Reguardless of where he lives, he owns the land/building so he has the right to decide upon its and the communities fate. All because he owns and you dont

Reactions: Kjbert
http://nydn.us/1bgxRhpbgxRhp

Daily News adds a tidbit:

"the source said the team has had only one preliminary meeting with Columbia officials about the site.

“At the end of the day, there’s really nothing going on,” the source said. “There’s nothing to discuss because it's not even at the embryonic stage.”

Just came across this article, crossing my thumbs that I did not make a mix-mush of the news article

Report: NYCFC eyeing Columbia site
by Paul Kennedy, April 29th, 2015 3:27PM

The New York Times reported on Tuesday that New York City FC, whose efforts to find a stadium site in Queens and the Bronx have stalled, might move to Columbia University’s Baker Athletics Complex in Manhattan. The report followed news that Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is pushing for the New York Cosmos to consider Coney Island for their stadium site.

NYCFC, which is playing indefinitely at Yankee Stadium, would share the stadium with Columbia University. It would replace the current 17,000-seat football stadium with a 25,000-seat stadium.

The Times reported that no commitments have been made and the idea is in the exploratory phase. Until now, MLS and then NYCFC have been rebuffed in their attempts at finding a permanent home for the expansion team.

The plus side to a Columbia project is that the stadium would be located in Manhattan, albeit on the northern tip, and it would be accessible by public transportation, both by subway and train to Westchester.

The down side would be parking, an issue throughout much of the five boroughs. The closest any project got to crossing the goal line was MLS's effort to secure a stadium site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, but the deal breaker is believed to have been the New York Mets owners' exorbitant asking price for the MLS team to share parking at Citi Field.

The report followed news on another soccer stadium front in New York. Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is pushing for the New York Cosmos to consider Coney Island as the site of the permanent home they too are seeking.

TAGS: new york city fc, new york cosmos
The New York Times reported on Tuesday that New York City FC, whose efforts to find a stadium site in Queens and the Bronx have stalled, might move to Columbia University’s Baker Athletics Complex in Manhattan. The report followed news that Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is pushing for the New York Cosmos to consider Coney Island for their stadium site.

NYCFC, which is playing indefinitely at Yankee Stadium, would share the stadium with Columbia University. It would replace the current 17,000-seat football stadium with a 25,000-seat stadium.

The Times reported that no commitments have been made and the idea is in the exploratory phase. Until now, MLS and then NYCFC have been rebuffed in their attempts at finding a permanent home for the expansion team.

The plus side to a Columbia project is that the stadium would be located in Manhattan, albeit on the northern tip, and it would be accessible by public transportation, both by subway and train to Westchester.

The down side would be parking, an issue throughout much of the five boroughs. The closest any project got to crossing the goal line was MLS's effort to secure a stadium site in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in Queens, but the deal breaker is believed to have been the New York Mets owners' exorbitant asking price for the MLS team to share parking at Citi Field.

The report followed news on another soccer stadium front in New York. Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams is pushing for the New York Cosmos to consider Coney Island as the site of the permanent home they too are seeking.

The Cosmos initially looked at a stadium site in Elmont, located on the border of Queens and Nassau County, but movement on that project has been slow. In the meantime, they have begun their third season at Hofstra University on Long Island.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyM
http://nydn.us/1bgxRhpbgxRhp

Daily News adds a tidbit:

"the source said the team has had only one preliminary meeting with Columbia officials about the site.

“At the end of the day, there’s really nothing going on,” the source said. “There’s nothing to discuss because it's not even at the embryonic stage.”
So now look at the reaction from that fat piece of shit Glickman and the RB/cosmos failed abortions. All that negative chatter over a prelim meeting. The clowns are praying to whomever that we don't get a stadium.

This site is less difficult from the East Side of Manhattan than people think. Taking Metro North from Grand Central is just 20 minutes and from Harlem 125th street is just 10.
There is also an MTA Express bus that runs from east side starting at 33rd that stops in Inwood. It stops every ten blocks up to 96th then express to 207th up the FDR

So now look at the reaction from that fat piece of shit Glickman and the RB/cosmos failed abortions. All that negative chatter over a prelim meeting. The clowns are praying to whomever that we don't get a stadium.

Glickman coincincidentally is Ydanis Rodriguez's attorney:

"Leo Glickman, an attorney for Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. McClain, said the city’s handling of the Occupy Wall Street protest was “deeply troubling.”

http://observer.com/2015/03/councilman-arrested-at-occupy-wall-street-donates-his-settlement-cash/

Interesting timing for the Councilman's statement, no? Perhaps goaded on by the ever zealous conspiracy theory loving Cosmos fan?

"Leo Glickman, an attorney for Mr. Rodriguez and Mr. McClain, said the city’s handling of the Occupy Wall Street protest was “deeply troubling.”

http://observer.com/2015/03/councilman-arrested-at-occupy-wall-street-donates-his-settlement-cash/

Interesting timing for the Councilman's statement, no? Perhaps goaded on by the ever zealous conspiracy theory loving Cosmos fan?

Its fun to speculate, but I'm guessing Rodriguez's statement is motivated more by the need to save face after getting a bunch of angry calls from constituents than any strong personal feelings one way or the other. I'm not in that neighborhood but my local CB hates any and all change and if the first they heard of something like this was in the NY times they would go absolutely ballistic.

Reactions: TommyM and Kjbert
I've refrained from adding my complaint about the location to the ever growing pile, because I hate how everyone whines about locations that aren't particularly convenient for them, but I cannot not respond to this.

This location is easily the least accessible spot in Manhattan, and much less accessible and centrally located than northern Brooklyn, western Queens, or various other non-Manhattan spots. So to say that, "hey, it's Manhattan, that's great" is way off the mark. And there are garages nearby but they have nowhere near the necessary capacity.

This spot is one and one-half hours from my home in western central Queens via public transport on a weekday in rush hour. 1.5 hours Coming home on a Saturday or Sunday night will be easily 2 hours plus. This even though I'm less than 11 miles away. Two hours to go 11 miles. This location is a disaster.

For you it is, not all of us live in Central Queens.

Hahaha that's rich. I don't understand why some people feel the need to try and stomp on others hopes. Parents: hug your children.

Well, you can be replaced as a tennant (eviction etc...) however, the guy who owns the land cant. Reguardless of where he lives, he owns the land/building so he has the right to decide upon its and the communities fate. All because he owns and you dont
CP, I have found a flaw in your well thought out treatise on urban planning! What if the owner sells the property and the tenant continues to rent from the new owner?

Reactions: Kjbert
CP, I have found a flaw in your well thought out treatise on urban planning! What if the owner sells the property and the tenant continues to rent from the new owner?

Or what if the city forces you off your property by using eminent domain? Or what if the EPA decides the land to not be safe?

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
IMO this story is just a shot across the bow of the GAL elevator factory owner and his reportedly astronomical asking price...... Yankees and CFG just letting him know that there are other options. Once he sees the potential of his "golden parachute retirement payment" disappearing he'll probably see the light of day and reach a settlement agreeable to all.......... Just my .02.....

I hope your right.

http://www.empireofsoccer.com/councilman-columbia-stadium-34354/?

Didn't take long for the negative responses to begin...

I don't take Empire of Soccer seriously anymore with their clear hate and condescending articles about NYCFC. This coming from a Cosmos fan site. Dave M. likes to portray himself and his site as completely neutral but anyone with a brain can see the tone of the articles. His site reads more like an NASL brochure then anything else.

So I thought there was a general consensus to be happy if the stadium was in the 5 boroughs . Now I know this isn't super likely to actually happen( The Columbia thing not being in the 5 in general) but if it does it meets that requirement , yet we're all bitching anyway?
I don't think fans are bitching about the location as much as sharing a stadium with an ivy league school and not having it a SSS.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
I don't take Empire of Soccer seriously anymore with their clear hate and condescending articles about NYCFC. This coming from a Cosmos fan site. Dave M. likes to portray himself and his site as completely neutral but anyone with a brain can see the tone of the articles. His site reads more like an NASL brochure then anything else.

yes its a shame, I am getting that anti vibe as well. Was hoping to find a outlet of local soccer news that is more or less neutral. They can criticize, but not overly try to shame/ ridicule anything nycfc does.

and the NASL love is probably because its "organic" and "screw single entity"

I don't think fans are bitching about the location as much as sharing a stadium with an ivy league school and not having it a SSS.

I thought it was the former. All the queens and brooklyn peeps will have quite a difficult time getting there on weekend subway service.

as for SSS, arent there MLS teams out there that rent their stadium to high school football or something as well. The stadium itself can be built like a SSS ( no track included or what ever) but still can have other tenants in it. i dont think it has much to do with credibility worldwide since there is still teams like new england, seattle, still playing in NFL stadiums

IMO this story is just a shot across the bow of the GAL elevator factory owner and his reportedly astronomical asking price...... Yankees and CFG just letting him know that there are other options. Once he sees the potential of his "golden parachute retirement payment" disappearing he'll probably see the light of day and reach a settlement agreeable to all.......... Just my .02.....

we can only hope.

Reactions: Albany_NYCFC
I've rented my UWS apartment for the last 35 years. You're going to ask my landlord...who doesn't live anywhere near here...for HIS opinion?!?

Clearly you are from the burbs.

Yep, I'm from the burbs.
Where 2 people with a bug up their ass because they might lose their view can't stop a project that would create hundreds of jobs in construction and add to the tax base.

Reactions: Gavin23
But most games are weekend games -- MNR cross-honors tickets and getting across Westchester on a Saturday or Sunday is usually very quick. Why not drive to Tarrytown or a rivertown and just jump on a train from there? It'd take an hour or less most games, I'd assume.

The nearest Hudson line station to me is Yonkers, which is a 9.1 mile drive. Baker Field Complex is 11.7 miles. Like I said, this will work fine for me if there is proper parking, but the roadway infrastructure will not handle proper parking as it exists and the train options are pretty crappy for most people who live in the city. The 1 and the A are brutally slow when they go local.