Summer Transfer Window

Remember that we are losing some GAM after this year. We got extra after last year for missing the playoffs and probably had some for being a 2nd year expansion team. This would offset any bump we get from transfer fees and making the CCL (assuming that happens).

We need to develop more domestic players. That's how you get a long term edge. No need to pay for an international slot, often can do a Generation Adidas contract that is off the books, etc.

Remember that we are losing some GAM after this year. We got extra after last year for missing the playoffs and probably had some for being a 2nd year expansion team. This would offset any bump we get from transfer fees and making the CCL (assuming that happens).

We need to develop more domestic players. That's how you get a long term edge. No need to pay for an international slot, often can do a Generation Adidas contract that is off the books, etc.

GA are from drafted players. We should always take a chance on a GA over a non-GA in the draft, regardless of scouting. It's all a bit of a crapshoot anyway, might as well gamble on the player that doesnt count vs the cap. Our development academy will give us homegrown players that also don't count vs the cap. Or we can the sell the HG players and keep 75% of the fee as GAM, which might be more cap efficient then actually having them on our roster. (assuming replacement youth/bench players will cost $50k-$60k per season if on the cap)

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
GA are from drafted players. We should always take a chance on a GA over a non-GA in the draft, regardless of scouting. It's all a bit of a crapshoot anyway, might as well gamble on the player that doesnt count vs the cap. Our development academy will give us homegrown players that also don't count vs the cap. Or we can the sell the HG players and keep 75% of the fee as GAM, which might be more cap efficient then actually having them on our roster. (assuming replacement youth/bench players will cost $50k-$60k per season if on the cap)

Yes, I meant homegrown. That's going to take a while, but all the more reason to move aggressively on the academy.

Yes, I meant homegrown. That's going to take a while, but all the more reason to move aggressively on the academy.

Actually Ethan White is a HG on our roster right now. And HGs do count vs the cap if on the senior roster. MLS gives $150,000 each season in HG money to offset their salaries. With that in mind, the selloff GAM method for our academy players may actually be the best way to go.

http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/mls-homegrown-player-signings

Reactions: Kjbert
Reactions: Kjbert and adam
White is not HG for NYCFC. Big difference. Once a HG leaves the nest, he's a normal player.

So they are just listing all the players that were ever homegrown, not that count as homegrown on that list?

Reactions: Ulrich
So they are just listing all the players that were ever homegrown, not that count as homegrown on that list?
Probably just listed as a bookmark/benchmark for the stats of how many HG are actually playing in the league.

Reactions: adam
I hope we get:
1. new GK
2. new left wing
3. new back up fullbacks. Using hernandez and white there is ridiculous.
I thought Gomez and Martinez were the only bright spots in the Cosmos game. I've been surprised by the random CB filling in at FB approach the last few weeks. Maybe PV feels they're not up to MLS competition?

I've been surprised by the random CB filling in at FB approach the last few weeks. Maybe PV feels they're not up to MLS competition?

Actually I think it's more about tactics. Against the redbulls, starting Hernandez at RB allowed PV to bring in Mata for TMac later in the game once we were up, moving from a 4-3-3 to more like a 5-3-2. I think he made a very similar move yesterday, bringing in Hernandez for TMac when there were already two CBs on the field. Allowed us to start defensively, and then bring in a sub that gave us more defensive solidity once we were up in both games. Then he has Bravo and Lopez come in to shore up the midfield and relieve the grandpas.

Edit:

Just going off subs made, by the end of the RB game, our lineup looked like:

------Villa---Harrison------
---Bravo--Iraola--Lopez---
-Mata-Mena-Brillant-Hernandez-Allen-
--------Saunders--------

If that's not our best parked bus, I don't know what is. Basically 8 outfield players focused on defending. Conversely, in last night's game, he brought in Shelton at '74 for Mata. I wonder if that's why the last 10 minutes or so were so butt-clenchy

Last edited:
I thought Gomez and Martinez were the only bright spots in the Cosmos game. I've been surprised by the random CB filling in at FB approach the last few weeks. Maybe PV feels they're not up to MLS competition?
I think Gomez is being held out this year to keep his transfer value down - he showed in the Kosmos game that he's got skills and could be a legitimate squad player in the future, but until we own his rights, PV & Reyna may be playing the long con.

Reactions: joe and ktdNYCFC
If that's not our best parked bus, I don't know what is. Basically 8 outfield players focused on defending. Conversely, in last night's game, he brought in Shelton at '74 for Mata. I wonder if that's why the last 10 minutes or so were so butt-clenchy

I think the addition of Shelton had to do with wanting someone who could win balls in the air on set pieces and clearances.

I think Gomez is being held out this year to keep his transfer value down - he showed in the Kosmos game that he's got skills and could be a legitimate squad player in the future, but until we own his rights, PV & Reyna may be playing the long con.

I think going Hernandez/White over Gomez at the end of games also has to do with how small Gomez is and our poor history with set pieces from earlier in the season.

Reactions: Ccmcadam and Kjbert
I think going Hernandez/White over Gomez at the end of games also has to do with how small Gomez is and our poor history with set pieces from earlier in the season.
If it wasn't for the Gomez Long Con, I'd bring him in at the end instead of Khiry. While not as tall, Gomez seems to me as fast, a hell of a lot more technical on the ball, and a much better passer/crosser. Let him harass the crap out of the LB and defense.

Which for all the crap people around here give him he did 2-3 times.
Out of how many though... That was my point. The number of times a ball was sent to Khiry and his first touch kept him from trapping it cleanly, only to go out of bounds or over to the Revs, was frustrating to say the least. At this level, trapping the ball should be second nature. Do that and we kill off more of the clock.

Last edited: