The Addiction Of Ny

CP_Scouse

Registered
Mar 27, 2014
Queens
What draws people to NY? Ive lived here my whole life, and i still cant grasp the "addiction" NY has on its visitors.

London, Paris, Rome all have 1000+ years of history. Theres no history in NY (its hidden)

To the tourists, what makes NY such a destination? What do you guys see (want to see)?

I would guess it's the Hollywood factor, so many shows and films that take place here. It's the romanticized version of NYC that draws the tourists. I always use to look at the tour buses filled with tourists looking at the Empire State Building and WTC and would think, what's so interesting about looking at a big office building and people going to/from or at work? lol

I would guess it's the Hollywood factor, so many shows and films that take place here. It's the romanticized version of NYC that draws the tourists. I always use to look at the tour buses filled with tourists looking at the Empire State Building and WTC and would think, what's so interesting about looking at a big office building and people going to/from or at work? lol
EXACTLY.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
Ha, settled in 1624, the five boroughs became NYC in 1898, how old does a city have to be to qualify as having "history"?
When i said history i meant theres nothing here historical.

The tower of london has been occupied since 1066. The normans have been in England since then. Camden lock market has been a market for x number of years. Same as covent gardens.

The colliseum has been a ruin since the 600's. You got the roman empire and. the holy roman empire. When i was there, i saw a 2000+ y/o egyptian pillar in a parking lot. No plaque or anything.

In paris, the notre dame is old a.f. I saw napelonic N's on the bridges as a reminder of his reign.

Nothing* like that in NY

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
Is that why you went to those cities? To see N's? Or did you go to immerse yourself in a different culture, try new restaurants and relax? All that historical stuff is fluff as a part of someone's vacation. New Jersey has tons of revolutionary war history, do people flock there for that? Not really, people go to NY because its a huge city adn you can do a bunch of different things on your week away from home. No one but a history major really cares for more than two seconds about Egyptian pillars

Is that why you went to those cities? To see N's? Or did you go to immerse yourself in a different culture, try new restaurants and relax? All that historical stuff is fluff as a part of someone's vacation. New Jersey has tons of revolutionary war history, do people flock there for that? Not really, people go to NY because its a huge city adn you can do a bunch of different things on your week away from home. No one but a history major really cares for more than two seconds about Egyptian pillars
Well think about it, people created this pillar, someone else, probly an engineer, uprooted it, someone else, transported it to its current location all without modern technology.

What draws people to NY? Ive lived here my whole life, and i still cant grasp the "addiction" NY has on its visitors.

London, Paris, Rome all have 1000+ years of history. Theres no history in NY (its hidden)

To the tourists, what makes NY such a destination? What do you guys see (want to see)?
You clearly have never eaten pizza or bagels outside of the NYC area. That alone is worth going to NY.

Reactions: einwindir
First thing I don't think in a lot of other countries they do have buildings like that so they are interesting. What's mundane to us when we live somewhere is interesting to someone else if it's new to them. Had a friend over from Belgium once and I thought he was a little bonkers taking pictures of downtown New Haven but we do have Gothic buildings around Yale that if you don't see them every day might interest. People in small towns in Belgium or Holland probably would wonder why we were taking photos.

New Haven does have solid bagels but I'll admit that New York ones are even better. Best I've ever had are in Brooklyn. However New Haven Pizza is even better than New York Pizza.

Reactions: Brendan
The metropolitan area follows NYC laws AND accesible by MTA subways and busses. So queens, brooklyn, bronx, and manhattan.
I'm gonna disagree slightly on your NYC Proper v Bagels theory. Nassau, West New York/Bergen/Jersey City/New City are still informally NYC. Let's face it, these placed would still be swamps and farms if there was no NYC. because of that, I think we can allow them the honor of having decent pizza and bagels. Of course they aren't shit compared to NYC proper but they are still allowed on our playing field.

As far as your OP. I left NY when I was in my early 20's. Relocated to SC. Spent 3-4 years and realized I am a NYer and nothing can change that. I missed the organized chaos; the unlimited access to anything and everything I wanted any time of day. Most importantly, and something you won't experience for another 10-15 years -- professional level employment. Outside NYC (including urban sprawl) there is no available work. Sure you can get a job at McDonald's or Walmart but that's about it. Unless your pop is a plant director and he gets you in as midlevel management or you've got an uncle that's a bank manager, you just can't find decent paying work.

When I lived in SC, the best job I could find was Armored Transport at $12 an hour. I moved back to NY, eventually got a job as a tin knocker and I was making $30/hr. I can support my wife and daughter. My job may not be the most glamorous but it's an honest days work and I'm proud of the work I do for people.

Why am I "addicted" to NY? In no particular order:
* it's home - my family has been rooted in NYC since they originally came from Holland and Poland. I'm one of the few that can say I am a born and bred native.
* I can work and support my family.
* there's no where else like it in the world

Yeah, on the whole bagel, pizza thing...it's got to be something in the water. I have never had as a good a bagel or pizza outside of the NYC area. Now who makes the best bagel in NYC? Impossible to say with any certainty. Although I am partial right now toward Absolute Bagels up by Columbia. Best Pizza? Way too many variables to answer that one. As far as what makes NYC so addicting? Similar answer to who makes the best pizza. One factor for me is the Statue of Liberty. A beacon of hope not just for all of the US but for all the world. The Statue of Liberty not only represents freedom but all the endless possibilities one has in the US. Yep and one of these days I will actually finally get around to going to it. Still haven't gotten around to it yet...lol

Ah hem......I believe Orange and Rockland are being unjustly left out of the Bagels debate haha....mind you of our diverse Jewish population haha :)