• THE City

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Gotham Blues

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • The 5 Boroughs

Votes: 5 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think NYC and New York City are essentially the same thing. In conversation and typing, I would much prefer to drop the FC out of either of them. Both work well I guess it would just depend on the context of what your talking about. When I followed the New England Revolution, nobody on the forums or in real life ever said New England, it became Revolution or Revs, depending on the context of the conversation. I think we should go that route, but with New York City or NYC. I don't mind just calling them City either, as I know who I am referring to.

Come to think of it, I know the team is NYCFC, and playing in New York City, but I do wonder if the aim should be to make it New York's team, which encompasses the entire state. I certainly wasn't put off by the fact that it is in the City, but I wonder if people from other parts of NY will think its a City only team. I'm talking about the people that don't know much about the league or teams and are just getting into it.
To somebody that doesn't know much about soccer or the league New York Red Bulls might sound more appealing than a team that has New York City in its name.
Clearly the city gives the team enough fans and support, but I just wonder if it was New York's team, instead of New York City's team would help at all.

Come to think of it, I know the team is NYCFC, and playing in New York City, but I do wonder if the aim should be to make it New York's team, which encompasses the entire state. I certainly wasn't put off by the fact that it is in the City, but I wonder if people from other parts of NY will think its a City only team. I'm talking about the people that don't know much about the league or teams and are just getting into it.
To somebody that doesn't know much about soccer or the league New York Red Bulls might sound more appealing than a team that has New York City in its name.
Clearly the city gives the team enough fans and support, but I just wonder if it was New York's team, instead of New York City's team would help at all.
I understand what you are saying but the Red Bull are the most falsely named team in the country, to be a New York team you would have had to, at the very least play, a season in NEW YORK. At the very least the state.

I understand what you are saying but the Red Bull are the most falsely named team in the country, to be a New York team you would have had to, at the very least play, a season in NEW YORK. At the very least the state.
Yeah, I get that. I was just thinking for people that don't know much about soccer first picking a team. If the choice was between NYRB and NYCFC, someone that didn't know about either team might decide on the RB because of them being solely NY and not NYC.

In fact, I didn't know that the Red Bulls didn't play in NY until I went to a game the first time. But it might be more apparent to the average US sports fan who know the same thing about the Jets and Giants.

Yeah, I get that. I was just thinking for people that don't know much about soccer first picking a team. If the choice was between NYRB and NYCFC, someone that didn't know about either team might decide on the RB because of them being solely NY and not NYC.

In fact, I didn't know that the Red Bulls didn't play in NY until I went to a game the first time. But it might be more apparent to the average US sports fan who know the same thing about the Jets and Giants.
It's why I only call them the RBs and never call them NY

Come to think of it, I know the team is NYCFC, and playing in New York City, but I do wonder if the aim should be to make it New York's team, which encompasses the entire state.
I mentioned "The New Yorkers" earlier in the thread and the name is growing on me for the point you brought up.

At first I thought it was a little bland, but after giving it more thoughts I realized that its actually one of the most intimidating nicknames in the league. Go anywhere outside of NYC and see the react you get when you say you're a New Yorker. Basically, everyone thinks we are just waiting to mug them.

I also like that we call ourselves New Yorkers in our normal lives... not City, Cityzens, or Blues. If you want to stay close to NYC roots, I think the name fits.

I wish we could have gotten my favorite Yankees nickname "Murderer's Row" but that would be inappropriate.

I wish we could have gotten my favorite Yankees nickname "Murderer's Row" but that would be inappropriate.
I know... someone mentioned The Bombers earlier. Those names are from another era. No way you can get the local news or ESPN to use those nicknames.

I know... someone mentioned The Bombers earlier. Those names are from another era. No way you can get the local news or ESPN to use those nicknames.
I know and the fan section can't use 5 points because the team in Long Island is using it.

I know and the fan section can't use 5 points because the team in Long Island is using it.
I was involved when they picked Borough Boys and the 5 Point theme on Big Soccer. I have many regrets from those days... never did jump on the Cosmos bandwagon though. Don't blame me though. I voted for The Dead Rabbits for the SG name. ;)

I mentioned "The New Yorkers" earlier in the thread and the name is growing on me for the point you brought up.

At first I thought it was a little bland, but after giving it more thoughts I realized that its actually one of the most intimidating nicknames in the league. Go anywhere outside of NYC and see the react you get when you say you're a New Yorker. Basically, everyone thinks we are just waiting to mug them.

I also like that we call ourselves New Yorkers in our normal lives... not City, Cityzens, or Blues. If you want to stay close to NYC roots, I think the name fits.

When I first read "The New Yorkers" I wasn't crazy about it, but for this reasoning I kinda like it. Another positive to calling the team New Yorkers is that it will build that community aspect. New guys come in and they're instantly New Yorkers because they're on the team.

When I first read "The New Yorkers" I wasn't crazy about it, but for this reasoning I kinda like it. Another positive to calling the team New Yorkers is that it will build that community aspect. New guys come in and they're instantly New Yorkers because they're on the team.
I am glad I am not alone... that's exactly what I started thinking. Think of the slogans - "We Are All New Yorkers" or "New Yorkers for Life"... its too natural. Way more fitting than other teams like the Galaxy or Red Bulls.

Remember, there are many Cities, but only one New York.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
Unlike Manchester and Melbourne, "City" is acually part of the name of our city. So for Manchseter City and Melbourne City, the word "city" is klind of the team name. For us it is the actual name of the city. Granted most sports teams in the area just go with NY, but it is still the name. Anyways I voted for city. I hope something grows organically, though, over time. Way too many "city's" in this post.

wp_ss_20150122_0001.png. Here is what msn sports is calling our team

They also are selling the name out New York City FC

Last edited: