Update Tefu Mashamaite Cb -- Signed W/ Another Club

I couldn't find a Jefferson Mena Rumor thread. But last night on Twitter I saw that we signed Jefferson Mena.

ive read this but there seems to be some confusion. It seems like his name still shows up in their official squad list in the Colombian league but many are pointing out that is an error as they say he is no longer with them. I guess we shall wait and see.

Reactions: Kjbert
Tefu's agent is back in South Africa sorting out his international clearance, etc. before NYCFC will put an offer on the table. Hoping to have more news later today. From what I've heard, he'll almost certainly be signed.

Any update in reguard of Jazzman&Tefu?It's now 4pm in SA and 10am in NY.

This thing of Masha is now killing us as we were promised feedback by Mon/Tuesday.

Can we make this Tefu signing already? I'm getting nervous that we'll have another week of Kwame Watson-Siriboe's Saturday Super Circus.

We usually hear about official signings between 10 am and noon...so I'm hoping tomorrow. Since 11:30 is pushing closer. I can't take another weekend of the center back shitshow, so someone else needs to be wearing number 3 come Saturday.

The 10 daye
If Tefu's already been on trial for ten days, you'd think he could step in and play quickly.

Hopefully, if he signs tomorrow, he can make the trip to New England for the Revs game. Fingers crossed.

Why is everyone just blindly jumping to the conclusion that he is good and would improve our defense? Yes, it seems he has a good track record with his previous team but it's hard to say how his previous league and the MLS compare. Maybe they didn't sign him yet because he spent 10 days getting burned left and right in practice. Everyone talks about him like its a certainty that he will save our back line and we need to hurry up and sign him and no one has seen him play.

To anticipate the 1st comment, "he can't be worse than KWS" is not a reason to sign someone when you have a salary cap and limited roster spots.

Why is everyone just blindly jumping to the conclusion that he is good and would improve our defense? Yes, it seems he has a good track record with his previous team but it's hard to say how his previous league and the MLS compare. Maybe they didn't sign him yet because he spent 10 days getting burned left and right in practice. Everyone talks about him like its a certainty that he will save our back line and we need to hurry up and sign him and no one has seen him play.

To anticipate the 1st comment, "he can't be worse than KWS" is not a reason to sign someone when you have a salary cap and limited roster spots.
That's not actually the a comment I was going to make, but nice anticipation skill. :)

You're right - it's entirely possible he's been getting burned at practice. If that's the case, no, I don't want to sign him, particularly on high wages.

That being said, we desperately need depth at the spot. Facey may be MLS starting quality (although it's still pretty early, IMO) with a good defensive pair, but until George John gets back, we've got three bodies at that spot. And one of them is Watson-Siriboe, who, yes, is awful.

I haven't seen this guy play, but I want to see something done at the spot. We're very poor there, and unless we make an upgrade in this transfer window, we're going to have a ton of 4-4 draws with Villa, Mix, Lampard, Pirlo, and the new attacking fullbacks (who need better defensive cover).

So it's less about Tefu and more about getting nervous about making a move there. We've got to do something, in my opinion, and Tefu is better than nothing. And he could be good.

The 10 daye

I have been following Mashamaite since he was 18years when he joined Bidvest Wits Reserve team;He joined them and reorganised their defence and they ended up winning Nedbank Cup in 2010 under his leadership and they were breaking over 20years without winning anything.He then went to join Kaizer Chiefs he was the key player for them when they won double in his 2nd season/1st season as a regular player and last year he was given Captain they won double he scored many deciding goals even a Cup winning goal in the final,Won defender of the season which shows that he's the best defender,Player's Player of the season(voted by all PSL players) and also Footballer of the season(voted by all PSL coaches.)

Kaizer Chiefs for some reason is in FIFA 15. Leads me to believe the guy is decent.

Reactions: marky365
My guess is that it was either Mena or Tefu. It was said we had 200-300k to buy another player, and Mena is valued at 400k on transfermarkt, plus we had to spend money on an international spot.

Reactions: marky365 and Kjbert
My guess is that it was either Mena or Tefu. It was said we had 200-300k to buy another player, and Mena is valued at 400k on transfermarkt, plus we had to spend money on an international spot.
If we cut Hernandez, would he still count against the cap for the rest of the season? If his contract still counts, I seriously doubt we have the cap room to sign Tefu unless we were able to trade a player away

If we cut Hernandez, would he still count against the cap for the rest of the season? If his contract still counts, I seriously doubt we have the cap room to sign Tefu unless we were able to trade a player away
It depends on whether his contract was guaranteed or not.

If his contract wasn't guaranteed, my understanding is that we can cut him whenever without consequence. I'm guessing considering how long he's been in the league that his contract is guaranteed.

We've already passed the guarantee date, so if he's guaranteed, we'd have to eat his salary to cut him.

Reactions: Kjbert

If his contract wasn't guaranteed, my understanding is that we can cut him whenever without consequence. I'm guessing considering how long he's been in the league that his contract is guaranteed.

We've already passed the guarantee date, so if he's guaranteed, we'd have to eat his salary to cut him.
we passed the semi-guaranteed date. We can't cut anyone to free up salary at this point.

Seems like a long shot but any chance part of the Mena deal could have involved them calling Calle back since they come from the same team. At this point Calle is constantly hurt and just wasting a roster spot. I have no idea how this affects the cap but if it's a way to clear space for a Tefu signing I'm all for it.

Edit: I still have no idea how good Tefu is but I agree with your earlier post that we need help/depth at CB.

Reactions: Kjbert and marky365
I dont know why we would cut hernandez, he's been one of our best CBs all year.
The idea is that, if you save the cap space, you can do it while making an upgrade.

I'm "iffy" on it, too, but it's a moot point - since his contract would count against the cap even if we cut him, it makes sense to keep him.