Update Tefu Mashamaite Cb -- Signed W/ Another Club

I'm a Hernandez fan too, but if we signed Tefu, that would mean that our 4th CB would be making over 200K

So we should cut a guy who has proven adequate, knows the league and has a report with Facey, for guys no one has seen play in MLS with uncertain potential. What information is out there to confidently say that both Mena and Tefu are better than Hernandez?

Edit: Since he heard we are assuming our scouting department is so good at finding CB talent that we want to cut one of our starting CBs before either of the new guys take the field Mr. Mendoza wanted to stop by and say hello.

new-york-city-fc-andres-mendoza.jpg

Last edited:
For all we know they could be shopping Hernandez for a trade he certainly has value in this league.
Because of his age and his salary number, I find it a bit hard to imagine that he'd be on the top of a trade list. You're right that they could be shopping him, but I honestly agree with most here that his value is greatest on the roster right now.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
My guess is that it was either Mena or Tefu. It was said we had 200-300k to buy another player, and Mena is valued at 400k on transfermarkt, plus we had to spend money on an international spot.

I really hope you are wrong :( Would be a big mistake by NYCFC. I haven't seen Mena play, but I've seen Tefu play for the past several years now and the guy would add real value to your team considering he is (a) free (b) experienced (c) intelligent/humble/model pro and (d) a fucking good centre-back.

The guys on the team who have trade value are Seba, RJ Allen, Ballouchy, McNamara and Mullins.

They are cheap and provide decent value. I would trade Seba and Allen in a heartbeat. I would trade Ballouchy, McNamara and Mullins in the right deal. I'm still bullish on Mullins. He's a second year player and a goalscorer. Guy was the best player in college for two years running. I still think there is more to his game than we have seen and it will just take time. Not saying we should wait like Houston and San Jose had to do for Wondo, but I think there's more there.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
The guys on the team who have trade value are Seba, RJ Allen, Ballouchy, McNamara and Mullins.

They are cheap and provide decent value. I would trade Seba and Allen in a heartbeat. I would trade Ballouchy, McNamara and Mullins in the right deal. I'm still bullish on Mullins. He's a second year player and a goalscorer. Guy was the best player in college for two years running. I still think there is more to his game than we have seen and it will just take time. Not saying we should wait like Houston and San Jose had to do for Wondo, but I think there's more there.

Seems primarily a poacher to me. I'd also like to hang on to Ballouchy and McNamara considering they're the only two midfielders that seem to have any chemistry at all with our stars.

And I disagree that Seba or Allen have any trade value whatsoever.

As for Tefu, sounds like we could be waiting a little while. Maybe they'll give him a week or so to get his paperwork in order, evaluate Mena when he gets here, and make a decision just before the window closes. I'm not going to hold out hope for him anymore, certainly doesn't seem like we are banking on it.

This is a bit out there and only solves the roster spot, not the international spot. What if Wingert retires and immediately joins the coaching staff? I don't think its that crazy: Kries did it, he clearly values Wingert's leadership, the CB experiment didn't work out, he's way down on the depth chart at fb now and he's a local guy who might want to lay the ground work to stick around for longer than his playing days. Only issue I see is that he is probably making more $ as a player than a coach but maybe CFG is will to work it out if they need the roster spot.

Reactions: Kjbert
Here you go! http://goo.gl/ZmpLhn

It's all very complicated regarding Tefu, from what we're told. But all hope is not lost...

The moderator (author?) made this comment below the article:

Dear readers, please understand the term 'hangs in the balance' – it is still possible that the club will offer Tefu a deal once they receive his paperwork, he has not failed his trial, in fact by all accounts he has impressed their technical team. They have been keen to sign him but have very strict transfer regulations and restrictions, and everything needs to be in order.

From this comment, it sounds like it may not be Tefu's paperwork, but just paperwork in general - likely with more issues on the MLS side. We need to find another international spot, clear a roster spot, maybe get some allocation money to buy down his cap hit, etc. Only once there's an avenue for him to join the team will we offer him a contract.

Looks like they prioritized the younger Mena, but will still work this month to find space for Masha on the roster.

So we should cut a guy who has proven adequate, knows the league and has a report with Facey, for guys no one has seen play in MLS with uncertain potential. What information is out there to confidently say that both Mena and Tefu are better than Hernandez?

Edit: Since he heard we are assuming our scouting department is so good at finding CB talent that we want to cut one of our starting CBs before either of the new guys take the field Mr. Mendoza wanted to stop by and say hello.

new-york-city-fc-andres-mendoza.jpg
Again, let me clarify. I like Hernandez and am not suggesting that we cut him at all, I'm just struggling to see how we would have the cap room to be able to still have him on the roster after signing Mena and Mashamaite

Reactions: gbservis
Again, let me clarify. I like Hernandez and am not suggesting that we cut him at all, I'm just struggling to see how we would have the cap room to be able to still have him on the roster after signing Mena and Mashamaite

Keep in mind that summer signings only count for half their yearly salary, yet the cap stays the same. So if we had $200k in cap room, we can sign up to $400k in yearly salary this summer, because only $200k counts now. As another example, Lampard and Pirlo only count as half DP's this season, so just $436,250 total. That's much more digestable than the $872,500 they'll count next year.

Next year, we'll need to clear money, but there's plenty of dead weight to cut this winter to do so. Part of the reason CB is a priority is probably because Hernandez isn't likely to survive the cutdown, at least at his current $200k+ salary. Look at all this money we can save:

Code:
George John - $326,666.67 (On DL, doesn't count against cap)
Jason Hernandez - $213,333.33
Ned Grabavoy - $175,000.00
Chris Wingert - $170,590.00
Josh Williams - $125,000.00
Jeb Brovksy - $119,000.00

I'll be shocked if any of those guys are around next year. John will almost surely be renegotiated on a "prove yourself" kind of deal.

I don't think anyone around here was thinking like this when the $200-300k in cap room rumor was floated. Unless that already factored my above argument in, it might actually be in the $400-600k range for yearly salaries.

Last edited:
I think Jeb would make a great bench wing back. He's got the lungs to go 120+ as he did vs. Cosmos, and played a stellar game, and has been great during the winning streak, when he's played. That said, I don't think he could start over Iraola or Angelino -- but makes for a good sub if they're gassed.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
Could we move Williams to the season ending injury list (I don't remember what it's actually called) to save his roster space and cap hit? Last I heard on here he was battling possible career threatening health concerns and we haven't seen him on the field in months. Anyone know if his status has changed?
Nothing has been released. This is just another note on the list of unfortunate trades we made. Williams, Seba, Meara, KWS... We sucked big ole donkey dick at making trades this off-season.