Video Assistant Referee

I'm almost entirely convinced that's why FIFA put in VAR in the first place. So there was a definable and reliable 2 minute break in the game; this seems to be the average length of a video review across multiple sports.

The dollar value of this in terms of commercial opportinity is staggering, soccer is already titanically valuable as a media endeavor, and that's without any opportunity to deliver full screen commercials in the middle of a game. A lot of people stand to make a lot of money so long as VAR can guarantee at least 1 commercial break per game.

The fact that calls will now be more correct is just a happy side effect.
Boo!!!

If VAR can somehow slow diving down or penalties can be given or not given correctly, then I'm for the changes, but if that's the case it has to be done right.

Did he hold Villa after the ref blew the play live? We don't know, but let's say it was blatant (and we know its blatant on every since FK or corner), then by letter of the law, it has to be a penalty from now on because that's a foul by the book and all fouls in the penalty area result in penalty kick.

It's going to change the game of soccer. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing.
Maybe our set piece defense will get lit up for 14 goals instead of 7.

Reactions: Ulrich
If VAR can somehow slow diving down or penalties can be given or not given correctly, then I'm for the changes, but if that's the case it has to be done right.

Did he hold Villa after the ref blew the play live? We don't know, but let's say it was blatant (and we know its blatant on every since FK or corner), then by letter of the law, it has to be a penalty from now on because that's a foul by the book and all fouls in the penalty area result in penalty kick.

It's going to change the game of soccer. Maybe it's a good thing, maybe it's a bad thing.
Maybe our set piece defense will get lit up for 14 goals instead of 7.

This was a point that was percolating in my head last night.

Yes, the red on Villa was soft, but by the letter of the rule he was supposed to get one and was sent off. But, by the letter of the rule, the hold in the box was a foul and therefore a penalty. Why did the ref reverse one call with video replay and not the other?

This is an issue with video replay that the powers that be haven't addressed. Without replay, all kinds of ticky tacky stuff went uncalled, and people were okay with it because it was considered too minor to lead to a game changing call. Now, replay is going to lead to a lot of this stuff getting called. The games are going to end up with a lot more red cards and penalties, and not necessarily on plays where anyone would have thought a call was appropriate.

Review changed the way a catch is defined in the NFL such that nobody is happy or even knows what the rule is anymore.
I have to say, of all the stupid things the NFL did, this is the biggest one. It used to be so easy, and now they have a rule that is so asinine that clear touchdown catches get reversed. They literally undid the most fundamental rule of football, i.e., how you score a touchdown - get the ball over the line and everything is dead after that. Hell, they might as well go back to rugby rules and make the person literally touch down. It would then at least be clearer.

Whatever. I'm pretty much done with American football. I'm as disgusted as possible with the NFL and NCAA. It's just nice to be able to focus on a sport that doesn't have similar issues. :confused:

Why did the ref reverse one call with video replay and not the other?

This is an issue with video replay that the powers that be haven't addressed.
Because you can only use replay for a very few specific types of events. Straight red is one of those, so Villa's was reviewed. But the hold on Villa was before the ball was live and in play so while possibly a foul if egregious it's not reviewable.

Because you can only use replay for a very few specific types of events. Straight red is one of those, so Villa's was reviewed. But the hold on Villa was before the ball was live and in play so while possibly a foul if egregious it's not reviewable.
Why wasn't replay consulted on the play where Jack was whistled for a foul when it should have been a PK?

Reactions: Paul and Ulrich
They likely felt Jack fouled him first. In the video the guy clearly drags him down. The reff likely felt Jack using his hands to get in front was a foul and thus the jersey tug was irrelevant.

Sorry, but NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan just doesn't pay me enough to answer "why" questions. I wish I could though.
Well, you had a good why on the other one that was correct. I thought you might have some explanation for this one. I just spent two hours on IFAB with no luck.

They likely felt Jack fouled him first. In the video the guy clearly drags him down. The reff likely felt Jack using his hands to get in front was a foul and thus the jersey tug was irrelevant.
If what should have been called before the play in question is the metric, then Villa's hand to face shouldn't have counted because the ref should have whistled and separated the players before the kick.

Well, you had a good why on the other one that was correct. I thought you might have some explanation for this one. I just spent two hours on IFAB with no luck.
My honest opinion? I think the Jack non-call was a thing that happened in the run of play and well, stuff happens that sometimes gets missed. I think what Villa did was just so cartoon-dumb that it annoyed the ref who then pulled out a card, and then it was reviewed because they wanted to check on the color.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I really think the only VAR-type thing we need is goal decision technology. Anything else is overkill and unnecessary. Hopefully that's all MLS decides to use in the short term.
In addition to this, I would be ok with a review of offsides calls on goals scored. This could be done by someone independent from the refs on the field, and can be assessed during the amount of time the scoring team is "celebrating". I really don't think it should have an effect on gameplay and should be relatively easy to do.

Reactions: FootyLovin
My honest opinion? I think the Jack non-call was a thing that happened in the run of play and well, stuff happens that sometimes gets missed. I think what Villa did was just so cartoon-dumb that it annoyed the ref who then pulled out a card, and then it was reviewed because they wanted to check on the color.
I agree that's why. But that's not really an objective standard that should be used.

I agree that's why. But that's not really an objective standard that should be used.
Agreed, but that's why this is in testing at this point. Hopefully the league will review the games and the calls and get better at this.

In addition to this, I would be ok with a review of offsides calls on goals scored. This could be done by someone independent from the refs on the field, and can be assessed during the amount of time the scoring team is "celebrating". I really don't think it should have an effect on gameplay and should be relatively easy to do.
I think PK/dive and offside goals are the only two rules where it should be applied. I'd like to see the refs required to proactively make a decision when there is a coming together/going down in the box. The ref should pro-actively indicate play on if it's incidental/no foul, but the other situations should immediately be given a pk or yellow for simulation. Then, there's very little impact on the delay and whatever it is would be worth it to get the call right.

Doing it this way would really reduce the diving and ridiculous grabbing, etc., I'd expect. Players would generally only go to ground with damn good reason and defenders would clean up their acts, too.

Reactions: Ulrich