Video Assistant Referee

I think this is from FIFA, and we just happen to be the league where they're testing it out.
The owners have been begging to be the league its tried out in. I hope the fans will boo the shit out the refs every time they try this. And if it leads to commercial breaks, like it was suggested above...
latest

This all reminds me of Bryant Gumble's (HBO Real Sports) thoughts on video replay in baseball. He is against any form of replay at all with the game. Not for home runs, foul balls, outs, strike zone, etc. Absolutely nothing. He says that there's three teams on the field during a game: the home team, the away team, and the umpire team. The beauty of the game is the human errors and having to overcome what's against you...something along those lines.

This all reminds me of Bryant Gumble's (HBO Real Sports) thoughts on video replay in baseball. He is against any form of replay at all with the game. Not for home runs, foul balls, outs, strike zone, etc. Absolutely nothing. He says that there's three teams on the field during a game: the home team, the away team, and the umpire team. The beauty of the game is the human errors and having to overcome what's against you...something along those lines.
That fine and well, but I disagree. Having scored against Germany in the WC, Berhalter's header, the MNT got violated with the non-awarding of the goal. That was a travesty.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and adam
That fine and well, but I disagree. Having scored against Germany in the WC, Berhalter's header, the MNT got violated with the non-awarding of the goal. That was a travesty.

I can't recall this, but I think that's goal line technology, I think that's fine and should be implemented. That's not a review. That's just an alert if the ball crossed the line.

Reactions: Paul and mgarbowski
Because you can only use replay for a very few specific types of events. Straight red is one of those, so Villa's was reviewed. But the hold on Villa was before the ball was live and in play so while possibly a foul if egregious it's not reviewable.
You think the VAR was able to make a determination whether the hold on Villa happened before or during live play? My assumption is that the video technology didn't allow for that review but would love to know the answer to that question.

The hold on Villa was definitely reviewable. If the hold happened when the ball was in play a penalty (technically) should have been awarded, if it happened before, then, as you pointed out, no penalty.

You think the VAR was able to make a determination whether the hold on Villa happened before or during live play? My assumption is that the video technology didn't allow for that review but would love to know the answer to that question.

The hold on Villa was definitely reviewable. If the hold happened when the ball was in play a penalty (technically) should have been awarded, if it happened before, then, as you pointed out, no penalty.
On this point why is a hold like that allowed prior to the whistle? It is still an attempt by the defender to obstruct the player movement.

Reminds me of when NBA changed rules on defenders being able to put two hands on offensive player back. Great rule change. Took players a dozen games or so to adjust. But much better once done. Much clearer more consistent application of rules.

#mobilepost

Reactions: Ulrich

Not actually sure when the hold happened but it certainly could have been a foul if the ball was in play. I think it's ignorable if it's before the whistle though, as long as there's nobody getting popped in the nose, say.

Reactions: Sabo
Not actually sure when the hold happened but it certainly could have been a foul if the ball was in play. I think it's ignorable if it's before the whistle though, as long as there's nobody getting popped in the nose, say.
Why should it be ignorable before the whistle? If Villa gives him a love tap on the cheek after the whistle, is that okay? A bear hug restricts movement. It is an illegal act to give the defender an advantage. Can the offensive player shove the defender to the ground before the whistle?

I hate the before whistle distinction. Defenders don't need the freedom to bear hug offensive players up until the moment of the whistle. And if they do, then whistle them for the shit if they hang on a nanosecond too long.

Why should it be ignorable before the whistle? If Villa gives him a love tap on the cheek after the whistle, is that okay? A bear hug restricts movement. It is an illegal act to give the defender an advantage. Can the offensive player shove the defender to the ground before the whistle?

I hate the before whistle distinction. Defenders don't need the freedom to bear hug offensive players up until the moment of the whistle. And if they do, then whistle them for the shit if they hang on a nanosecond too long.
I'm not saying it *should* be ignored, I'm saying most of the time there's lots of pushing and shoving on free kicks and for the most part it's ignored up to a certain point. Part of the game; misbehave as much as you can get away with. A little pushing, shoving, and holding is tolerated, especially before play starts, but if you pop a guy in the face that's kind of hard for the ref to ignore.

If they implement this, everything should count....red cards for everybody! I want to see some games end 7v7 on full fields.

If they implement this, everything should count....red cards for everybody! I want to see some games end 7v7 on full fields.
AHABS if they gave Villa a red for his contact they should have given a PK for the bear hug. I'm all for the 7v7 ending if the calls on the field have some logical consistency to them. So yes, red cards for everybody. Especially during pre-season. Prove what the VAR actually does to the game.

Because you can only use replay for a very few specific types of events. Straight red is one of those, so Villa's was reviewed. But the hold on Villa was before the ball was live and in play so while possibly a foul if egregious it's not reviewable.

I thought penalty decisions are reviewable? I understand the before the ball being live part (don't know if a penalty can be called before its live), but if you're saying a foul was possible but it's not reviewable, I think you're wrong. A foul in the box is a penalty decision. Therefore, reviewable... no?

Reactions: FootyLovin
I thought penalty decisions are reviewable? I understand the before the ball being live part (don't know if a penalty can be called before its live), but if you're saying a foul was possible but it's not reviewable, I think you're wrong. A foul in the box is a penalty decision. Therefore, reviewable... no?
By the rules, a foul is not possible before the play starts.

FIFA Law 12, part 1 (page 3):
Basic requirements for a foul
The following conditions must be met for an offence to be considered a foul:
- it must be committed by a player
- it must occur on the field of play
- it must occur while the ball is in play
Remove any one of these conditions and the offence is not and cannot be a foul.

Holding an opponent (page 14):
Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks. To deal with these situations, the referee shall:
- warn any player holding an opponent before the ball is in play
- caution the player if the holding continues
- award a direct free kick or penalty and caution the player if it happens once the ball is in play

(Emphasis mine.)

Source:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf

Reactions: Sabo

Referees are reminded to make an early intervention and to deal firmly with holding offences especially inside the penalty area at corner kicks and free kicks. To deal with these situations, the referee shall:
- award a direct free kick or penalty and caution the player if it happens once the ball is in play

(Emphasis mine.)

Source:
http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_12_fouls_misconduct_en_47379.pdf
If that's the case, was Villa's love tap before play started?

A hands to the face red card can be issued at any time. That can be issued after the final whistle has blown.

That's different because it's a different foul. The one on Villa was holding, the one Villa committed was violent conduct. Different rules.

(Emphasis mine.)

Source:
By this description it sounds like the recourse the ref has is to give a yellow without a PK for repeated holding prior to the ball being in play. I'd like to see that happen. Also, what constitutes ball in play? Is it at the moment of the kick or the moment of the whistle?

ETA: If it is the moment of the whistle, then for corners - which can be played at any time and don't need a whistle unless the ref has blown the whistle already for an infraction - the ball is in play the entire time.