We Are Nycfc Not Mini-mcfc (with Respect)

Fireman1201

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Manhattan
With respect to all die hard MCFC fans and the ownership, I would like to just to remind fellow NYCFC fans that we are a new club with an opportunity to start something original and great: so can we please not adopt MCFC themes, songs, chants, anymore than is necessary by way of ownership.

Speaking as a Chelsea fan, but more importantly as someone that would like to avoid alienating potential new fans that have already been passionately following an EPL team for quite some time (lifetimes), I think it would be wise to NOT just be a MCFC clone. Additionally, I don't think we should adopt any Chelsea themes or any other professional clubs' themes either including the Yankees whom I also support.

Thoughts on this potentially volatile subject are welcome, but I strongly feel that being a part of something new loses a lot of it's value if we are to be lazy and simply copy other clubs' material just for the sake of trying to look or sound legitimate in the eyes of others. I've seen this with other MLS clubs and it always makes me cringe, as in how the Vancouver Whitecaps use "Blue is the Color" a Chelsea song.

Lastly, for the record, thankfully I don't really see any significant cloning going on now, but as things heat up you never know what might happen.

Ownership is temporary, legacy is forever.

Thanks,
Fireman1201

can we please not adopt MCFC themes, songs, chants, anymore than is necessary by way of ownership.
no, just no. if something is PERFECT you want to deny its usage because "we're organic"? heres some chants that are perfect, revised words of course. :

you gotta start somewhere

I hear you and I agree some sound really cool, but these examples are exactly what I advise against. That being said, it's good to hear the opposing viewpoint.

I would not use the word "organic." I'm calling for originality. True you have to start somewhere, but I would rather it take longer and be OUR stuff than just copy others to sound good.

The other side, which I forgot to mention, is that if we want to be taken seriously by other countries (especially if we are PLAYING them) it would be a tough job if we just sounded like a bunch of wannabe's. What happens when we actually play MCFC or Liverpool and we are singing their songs?

I hear you and I agree some sound really cool, but these examples are exactly what I advise against. That being said, it's good to hear the opposing viewpoint.

I would not use the word "organic." I'm calling for originality. True you have to start somewhere, but I would rather it take longer and be OUR stuff than just copy others to sound good.

The other side, which I forgot to mention, is that if we want to be taken seriously by other countries (especially if we are PLAYING them) it would be a tough job if we just sounded like a bunch of wannabe's. What happens when we actually play MCFC or Liverpool andwe are singing their songs?
but we wouldnt be playing other countries... and if we are and we sing "their" songs, who cares? i understamd you want us to look cool and all that, but it comes to a point where "who cares if we sing "their song"""

We will eventually play other countries/leagues. Not often, but it will happen.

Either way I will sing along with whatever we go with as a group if thats what we want as a collective.

Between you and I it just comes down to a difference of opinion because I do care if we sound like imitators.

I'm looking years out. The other teams chants and songs are sick, but I think we could do better.

Feel free to contribute 'organic' chants in the songs/chants section.
It's not as easy as you think.
Most chants are revised from club to club.
We do have lots of originals that were suggested here. Doing our best.

First of all, please understand I am not making any critical judgements of this forum or anything else. I'm super happy with everything so far, so don't take any offense whatsoever.

Second, I don't just mean songs and chants.

What I am saying is that assuming the MCFC and NYCFC have to go hand in hand might be a mistake. I think we, as being independent from the owners, should be mindful that they aren't the same team.

I don't think originality is easy, that's why I started this thread. I know it's hard and I think we should just be mindful that most good things take time to build.

I'm hoping that amongst all the artists, designers, musicians, director, and performs we have in NYC that we find some seeds of original creativity to watch grow over time. To ignore our city's creativity is to ignore one of the things that makes us great to begin with.

Last edited:
First of all, please understand I am not making any critical judgements of this forum or anything else. I'm super happy with everything so far, so don't take any offense whatsoever.

Second, I don't just mean songs and chants. Another example is that we have a MCFC site on this forum: I don't see that as being a good idea either (ok this is a small criticism).

What I am saying is that assuming the MCFC and NYCFC have to go hand in hand might be a mistake. I think we, as being independent from the owners, should be mindful that they aren't the same team.

I don't think originality is easy, that's why I started this thread. I know it's hard and I think we should just be mindful that most good things take time to build.

I'm hoping that amongst all the artists, designers, musicians, director, and performs we have in NYC that we find some seeds of original creativity to watch grow over time. To ignore our city's creativity is to ignore one of the things that makes us great to begin with.
why be independent of the people that made us? why not have the same chants. i mean its so easy. new york CITY fc. manchester CITY fc.

Reactions: Fireman1201
why be independent of the people that made us? why not have the same chants. i mean its so easy. new york CITY fc. manchester CITY fc.

yeah, I'm on the fence about this logic. I see both sides, but just don't want to be a little sister team (even if it is inevitable).

I suppose you are right at the end of the day.

Plus, to be perfectly honest: if this were a Chelsea little sister club I might not have posted this thread because I see how MCFC fans are so excited to have another team to support. Case in point, no one is more excited at the idea of getting Super Frankie Lampard more than me ;)

In theory though I still hope we shoot for some semblance of independence.

Again: with respect to all.

And I'd still support it if it was owned by Everton, Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, West Brom, Juventus, Guangzhou, Hearts of Oak, whoever.

Reactions: Paul
I would resent the "little sister club" tag and I'd resent other Liverpool fans for treating it as such

This is exactly my issue, but it sounds inevitable....unless we make an effort to make it otherwise. I'm hoping there are enough creative types to make that happen. Either way, I'm still a Founding Member and will cheer with whatever we all agree to in the end.

I have said this I don't know how many times: NYCFC is its own club in its own right, but MCFC will pop on over should NYCFC find an exceptional talent. Other than that, it ain't but a thing.

Additionally, the largest and loudest calls for "we are not a mini-Man City" generally come from supporters of other EPL clubs.
Funny how that happens.

Reactions: AndreT_NY
I have said this I don't know how many times: NYCFC is its own club in its own right, but MCFC will pop on over should NYCFC find an exceptional talent. Other than that, it ain't but a thing.

Additionally, the largest and loudest calls for "we are not a mini-Man City" generally come from supporters of other EPL clubs.
Funny how that happens.

Honestly I would love it if I never had to hear about this ever again from any supporters.

Of course the call for independence will come most strongly from non-MCFC supporters, that's only logical, just like indifference to the issue will be mostly exercised by MCFC supporters, but I still think it needs to be said.

I don't have anything against MCFC per se, but I'm against creating a B Team minor league, little sister MLS version of MCFC to whatever extent we can given the current ownership.

The foundation of this club is critical to the long term nature of what exactly we will be a part of for decades to come. Maybe it's the 'Murica in me but I don't want to be a part of another British Superpower.

My last post aside I realize that our very city's name is English and our team color orange comes from the Dutch, but it's NEW York and not New Amsterdam anymore. Things change over time whether it's colonial powers or team owners....it's an interesting balance.

In any case all opinions have merit in my mind.

Of course the call for independence will come most strongly from non-MCFC supporters, that's only logical, just like indifference to the issue will be mostly exercised by MCFC supporters, but I still think it needs to be said.

I don't have anything against MCFC per se, but I'm against creating a B Team minor league, little sister MLS version of MCFC to whatever extent we can given the current ownership.

The foundation of this club is critical to the long term nature of what exactly we will be a part of for decades to come. Maybe it's the 'Murica in me but I don't want to be a part of another British Superpower.

It also implies acute hatred towards our ownership or that any sort of "seperatist" sentiment is motivated by other EPL affiliations.

But I seriously doubt anyone with such great animosity towards Man City would even entertain supporting this club.

I stand by my opinion that people want their own culture not because we support other EPL clubs but because we are New Yorkers and we are excited to have our own club, right here, not across the Atlantic.

And to be honest it's only a separation in name, and isolated to supporter's culture.

The owner is CFG.

The name is City.

The colors are Sky Blue.

I'm sure the jerseys and sponsors will be very similar.

I think for the most part we all recognize this and accept it and embrace it.

Where the differences begin are within supporters culture.

Our city, our songs, our bars, our history, etc.

Reactions: BxLio91 and Paul
It also implies acute hatred towards our ownership or that any sort of "seperatist" sentiment is motivated by other EPL affiliations.

This isn't really fair: I'm not "hating" anyone and I'm not motivated by "animosity." I'm sorry if I gave that impression. If anything this whole process will give me a greater appreciation for MCFC then I would have had before. I was just posting an idea on the Supporters Discussion group that had a general interest to me because it seemed important for this exact sentiment:
people want their own culture not because we support other EPL clubs but because we are New Yorkers and we are excited to have our own club, right here, not across the Atlantic.

I think we are on the same page here and hope for the same outcome, I was just hoping for a simple discussion rather than an argument. If there isn't much support for my opinions I'll back down, but I was curious to see what people thought.

Same team.