We Are Nycfc Not Mini-mcfc (with Respect)

This isn't really fair: I'm not "hating" anyone and I'm not motivated by "animosity." I'm sorry if I gave that impression. If anything this whole process will give me a greater appreciation for MCFC then I would have had before. I was just posting an idea on the Supporters Discussion group that had a general interest to me because it seemed important for this exact sentiment:

I think we are on the same page here and hope for the same outcome, I was just hoping for a simple discussion rather than an argument. If there isn't much support for my opinions I'll back down, but I was curious to see what people thought.

Same team.

Sorry I've just been witness to this conversation for a while now. It just happens to be a touchy subject for everyone.

It's cool, Bro. I'm here to make friends.

And, I'm new here. I tried to find a thread to see if this was already beaten to death and I guess I missed it. My bad. Can you send me a link where this was talked about and I'll catch up?

They're are going to be a lot of "new" people over the next few months/years and I hope we can all be patient with each other's relative inexperience, assuming they aren't raging jerks haha.

Sometimes we are also just going to have different opinions and that's cool too. If we all thought the same there would be no point to a "discussion" forum.

Of course the call for independence will come most strongly from non-MCFC supporters, that's only logical, just like indifference to the issue will be mostly exercised by MCFC supporters, but I still think it needs to be said.

I don't have anything against MCFC per se, but I'm against creating a B Team minor league, little sister MLS version of MCFC to whatever extent we can given the current ownership.

The foundation of this club is critical to the long term nature of what exactly we will be a part of for decades to come. Maybe it's the 'Murica in me but I don't want to be a part of another British Superpower.

Says the Chelsea Fan

Reactions: AndreT_NY
Says the Chelsea Fan

Haha: good one. The context isn't the same, but ya have me there.

And it motivates me to change my profile pic. I should follow my own advice and keep it all about NYCFC :)

We hear this a lot from newcomers and honestly if you look around the forum you don't see much let's do this like city does or this worked for city let's do it.
We are trying to do our own thing. Which is why MCFC supporters catch flak here every so often. Underservingly so at times.
You get views from both sides of the fence. You might think we are taking too much from MCFC and MCFC die hards think we aren't doing enough to show gratitude.

Interesting. This has been a VERY educational thread for me. Thanks to all that chimed in!

I'd like to restate though that we are all "newcomers." The history of our club is just newly born. Statistically, most future fans of NYCFC 2015 have yet to knock on our door. No one owns the higher ground here no matter when you started posting in this forum and no matter when you bought your season tickets so let's all try to be cool to each other and withhold most if not all negativity. Respect. Same team.

Interesting. This has been a VERY educational thread for me. Thanks to all that chimed in!

I'd like to restate though that we are all "newcomers." The history of our club is just newly born. Statistically, most future fans of NYCFC 2015 have yet to knock on our door. No one owns the higher ground here no matter when you started posting in this forum and no matter when you bought your season tickets so let's all try to be cool to each other and withhold most if not all negativity. Respect. Same team.

I like the positivism! You walked into a bit of a fire storm with the topic of this thread so don't take anything personally. For the most part everyone is excited for NYCFC. There will always be those who will say that this is a MCFC club. On the other side you will always have instigators who are are against NYCFC that will blame you for being a MCFC fan.

This will be a reoccurring problem and unfortunately I do no think it will go away..ever. However, like you said this is the very beginning of the club. Hopefully through time we can prove we are NYCFC fans and nothing more. Whether we like it or not MCFC is a huge part of this club (branding/ownership/coaching/scouting system) and if we can all come to terms with that and move on I think we should be fine.

For the record I DID at least find The People V Manchester City thread in the Debate Desk:
http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/the-people-vs-manchester-city.213/

AND I can see how this has been a sore subject, especially considering even this thread (from April) was considered an "old topic", so again: my bad. That being said it wasn't easy to find, but the mistake to bring up the subject WAS easy because it is in fact interesting.

Might I recommend making this thread or one like it easier to find by tacking/pinning it to the top of a section because no doubt it will come up again from another FNG like me. Just a thought to increase the peace.

I don't have anything against MCFC per se, but I'm against creating a B Team minor league, little sister MLS version of MCFC to whatever extent we can given the current ownership.

I don't support Man City, but if NYCFC plays like a Premier League reserve team, then we'll win the MLS Cup EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Reactions: Fireman1201
As a complete outsider to this discussion, having ZERO alligence to any EPL team..dare I say a borderline dislike of just about every one of the top teams in the league (MCFC included) and being a Milan supporter...

I have to say I think keeping as much distance from ANY other club's culture is best..though there will be an inevitable influence from MCFC...they do own us...the "City" nickname is fitting..the colors are generally the same..etc..

In addition there are only so many catchy little tunes to go around, and they are used by clubs all over the world with words changed to fit their needs..

Every effort needs to be made however, to establish a NYC first culture

I'm ok with adopting whatever songs/chants etc, as long as they're basically just lifted as a template for us, since we're just getting started and you may as well start somewhere, but I really want to think of the club as the opportunity to start something new in the MLS, rather than just as an MCFC colony in New York (disclaimer: I support another prem club and would prefer we didn't sing "Blue Moon"). I understand who owns us and the debt we owe that club, but since we have an opportunity to do this our way from scratch, let's forge an independent identity. Our own shirt sponsors, our own traditions, etc.

Last edited:
I love how this thread glosses over how it's not right to sing City chants and songs and yet all over this forum people are suggesting other teams songs but Man City ones are not allowed.

Reactions: MrE
If that was directed at my post I was referring to the large numbers of posts elsewhere in this forum. Not yours per se.

Pulls pin from grenade ...

CFG is a holding company, created to minimise risk for ADUG should anything go tits up (a Get Out Of Jail Free card, if you will). Its prime aim and only concern is to hold shares and accounts of anything under the ADUG banner; CFG creates nothing, nor does it offer services to anyone, let alone any football club.
Additionally the formation and creation of a holding company helps the parent company with paying less tax, which is obviously very beneficial to the owners. Holding companies are becoming more and more widespread when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars (if not billions).
In the legal World, technically speaking, a holding company is the 'top dog', but only because this is where the registration and paperwork is held; in reality, it is an office manned by a few people protecting the main interests of the Parent company.

... lobs grenade.

Pulls pin from grenade ...

CFG is a holding company, created to minimise risk for ADUG should anything go tits up (a Get Out Of Jail Free card, if you will). Its prime aim and only concern is to hold shares and accounts of anything under the ADUG banner; CFG creates nothing, nor does it offer services to anyone, let alone any football club.
Additionally the formation and creation of a holding company helps the parent company with paying less tax, which is obviously very beneficial to the owners. Holding companies are becoming more and more widespread when dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars (if not billions).
In the legal World, technically speaking, a holding company is the 'top dog', but only because this is where the registration and paperwork is held; in reality, it is an office manned by a few people protecting the main interests of the Parent company.

... lobs grenade.

I'm not sure how any of this relates to the conversation above?