What Are You Reading?

einwindir

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 19, 2014
Queens, NY
Every forum needs a proper book thread. Whether you want to recommend a book or you're looking for something new to read.

Currently I'm in between two books:
Kingkiller Chronicles (2nd book) "The Wise Man's Fear" and The Kalevala.

The Kalevala, is more of a casual read. It's Finnish mythology. If you're familiar with the Scandinavian Eddas, it's very similar.

Kingkiller Chronicle is a great fantasy read. It's in the same vein as Lord of the Rings, though not as epic. It's digestable fantasy with a very hopeless, melancholic feel to it.

As you may be able to tell, I am a fan of fantasy and mythology. But my tastes vary across the board. The last "great" book I read was a book by Blaine Harden entitled "Escape from Camp 14". It follows the life of a young man who was born and raised inside a North Korean labor camp. It is disturbing and will leave you with a feeling of helplessness.

Always liked reading though the subject matter has obviously changed over the years. Recently read "shooting straight" by Piers Morgan (the latest in his releases) and didn't even need to download it! Think anyone familiar with Mr Morgan can guess what that title is referencing. The gun debate is certainly something for the "Warzone."

http://www.general-ebooks.com/read/10979278

Currently reading The Peloponnesian War by Donald Kagan. I tend to spend a lot of my time reading up on history. For those who don't know, this one is about the great war between Athens and Sparta in the 5th century BC - and for those who want a bit more, think the generation of men who lived after the events of the film 300 and its sequel which just came out.

The last book I read was:
123_2013_george-washington-s8201_s160x242.jpg

I don't know if anyone is watching "TURN" on AMC, but that series is somewhat based on this book.

Reading cloud splitter, which is a fictional account about john brown from his surviving son.
A dance with dragons
And city of ambitionambition

10379019_661878000532494_1487125332717552669_n.jpg

I've been on a kick of late reading US related historical biographies. One thing that really stands out is no matter what the era is the old cliche of "The more things change, the more things stay the say" hits home.

Recently finished Ajax The Dutch The War. Pretty interesting analysis of football during world war II and Dutch society and the Holocaust.

Reactions: einwindir
Recently finished Ajax The Dutch The War. Pretty interesting analysis of football during world war II and Dutch society and the Holocaust.
Sounds like an interesting perspective, I think I may check this one out.

Just about to start to kill a mockingbird.

If any of you love sports autobigrahies. Bert Trautmanns is fascinating. A captured nazi paratrooper who ended up in goal for MCFC