2 Questions.

LawsonJM)

Registered
Donor
Jun 8, 2014
Who would you guys want in the squad?

If you look at the free agents from the teams in the European market, some big names have become available. Obviously, the problem is a huge majority of them are ageing. Most of the MLS teams now are adapting too a different playing styles, depending on who they sign. I wouldn't want too see NYCFC play in the typical European style. By which I mean, some teams go 1-0 up & will instantly sit back & defend, attempting to kill the game off. I'm not a big fan of that playing style. I would love too see NYCFC play with a fluid, attacking mentality, Pushing forward where possible but getting a good centre half or full back who would maintain the balance of the back line. A perfect example of a player who I think could do that is Brede Hangeland. Recently released from Fulham & looking for a club, Would NYCFC be the perfect team for him? A brand new team with big ambitions, a growing fanbase & more.

What style Jersey would you like too see?

I am a fan of the traditional rounded collar, but as technology in shirts is moving forward so are the designs. The V-Neck shirt seems too be the one chosen by most teams. Of course, as most people are guessing, NYCFC Home Jersey will be Sky Blue with a dark Blue trim & depending on the sponser, Possibly a dark blue font colour for the sponsers name. I like the idea of the Black/Orange coloured third shirt, but how would you guys feel about a white away or third Jersey?

Premier League free Agents who could move.

Ashley Cole - Solid left back BUT wanted by Real Madrid, PSG & Monaco.
Frank Lampard - Already in talks with NYCFC
Neil Alexander - A good goalkeeper but at 36 years of age, only has a few years left
Apostolos Vellios - A young, athletic Greek striker. Loaned out & never broke through at Everton.
Steve Sidwell - A good, tough midfielder. He was solid at Fulham.
Gareth Barry - In his last few years, not as good as he used too be. He was pretty solid on loan at Everton.
Juan Sebastian Agudelo - Left the MLS for Stoke, Never got a work permit. Now out of contract.

Last edited:

If you look at the free agents from the teams in the European market, some big names have become available. Obviously, the problem is a huge majority of them are ageing. Most of the MLS teams now are adapting too a different playing styles, depending on who they sign. I wouldn't want too see NYCFC play in the typical European style. By which I mean, some teams go 1-0 up & will instantly sit back & defend, attempting to kill the game off. I'm not a big fan of that playing style. I would love too see NYCFC play with a fluid, attacking mentality, Pushing forward where possible but getting a good centre half or full back who would maintain the balance of the back line. A perfect example of a player who I think could do that is Brede Hangeland. Recently released from Fulham & looking for a club, Would NYCFC be the perfect team for him? A brand new team with big ambitions, a growing fanbase & more.

I am a fan of the traditional rounded collar, but as technology in shirts is moving forward so are the designs. The V-Neck shirt seems too be the one chosen by most teams. Of course, as most people are guessing, NYCFC Home Jersey will be Sky Blue with a dark Blue trim & depending on the sponser, Possibly a dark blue font colour for the sponsers name. I like the idea of the Black/Orange coloured third shirt, but how would you guys feel about a white away or third Jersey?

I'm not a big fan of having a white kit but that's just my opinion.

I'm not a big fan of having a white kit but that's just my opinion.
I agree on the white. I think a darker blue would look pretty good with a white or light blue trim. but, they could catch us off guard & go with something completley different

Hangeland is an interesting player. Not only has he played at a high level but he is actually an American. He was born in Texas when his family worked here. Therefore he wouldn't count against NYCFC's 8 international list.

I think hangeland would be a good addition. He has experience, he's a tall, strong defender. Could be a good addition to the back four

I think hangeland would be a good addition. He has experience, he's a tall, strong defender. Could be a good addition to the back four
Problem is he's probably too good to sign under the wage cap, but not good enough to use a DP on.

1. In addition to Villa, I really want to sign Xavi as a second DP. Ronaldinho too, but seems like he's content in Brazil. If we can't get someone special, then the third DP will probably used on a defender giving the team more balance (Hangeland may be good, but I feel there is better out there), Demichelis, Puyol, Van Buyten perhaps?
Under the cap, US players like Diskerud, Agudelo and Besler would be good additions but may demand DP wages. Other players that may be signed under the cap: Danny Gabbidon, Emmanuel Frimpong, Paddy McCourt, Julian Speroni, Fitz Hall, Liam Lawrence, Dan Gosling (I don't know their wages but any of them would be good signings under the cap). I really hope they sign Fitz Hall, just so they can sell his shirt in one size.
As for loanees from MCFC (Manchester, not Melbourne), I can only see u18s or the less talented EDS lads coming in as otherwise their wages will be too high. Thierry Ambrose and Godsway Donyoh (Both STs) have both already been linked with a move here, and I could see any of Bismark Boateng (DM), Pablo Maffeo (RB), Jose Angelino (LB), Sinan Bytyqi (AM) or Manuel Garcia (CM) coming in too.

2. Something like this:
nycfc 3 kits attempt.jpg
I posted it in a thread in the "supporters den" http://nycfcforums.com/index.php?threads/my-take-on-the-jerseys.679/page-6
Home: Sky blue home with navy trim/shorts and orange socks
Away: All navy with orange trim
Third: Orange and white with white socks
Orange socks are a must for me on the home kit, distinctive and classy. I would like to see orange running through all of the kits as it represents New York.
V-necks are fine with me, I think they are quite classy. I like round necks and some collars too as long as they aren't too big, small or complicated.

Pretty much every player you mentioned would be a perfect addition. Let's hope villa can talk Xavi into signing. There are so many good young players that would fit under the cap. I agree with you on the socks. Orange would look real good

Edit; speroni would be a good signing

Would most/any of people that any of you are mentioning sign for less than $400k/yr? If not they would all count as DPs and NYC only has 2 more?

I think we need to talk more about realistic players.

What existing MLS player do you think they should go after? Or maybe even Division 2 Europeans or South American League players?

Reactions: Goodfella
Would most/any of people that any of you are mentioning sign for less than $400k/yr? If not they would all count as DPs and NYC only has 2 more?

I think we need to talk more about realistic players.

What existing MLS player do you think they should go after? Or maybe even Division 2 Europeans or South American League players?
i put a few names out for DP's. I didnt even think about the other half of the squad to be honest. alot of the Championship players have qualitys good enough for the MLS & would sign for under $400K. When i was watching the MLS, I liked Nick DeLeon, Pontius, Holgersson, Bill Hamid, Martins. I could name a few players who I think could do well & that are fairly young too. Loads of young europeans & South Americans would be interested in playing. I like the look of Erick Torres & Carlos Fierro from Chivas. Who would you like too see?

Neil Alexander - A good goalkeeper but at 36 years of age, only has a few years left
Apostolos Vellios - A young, athletic Greek striker. Loaned out & never broke through at Everton.
Gareth Barry - In his last few years, not as good as he used too be. He was pretty solid on loan at Everton.
Juan Sebastian Agudelo - Left the MLS for Stoke, Never got a work permit. Now out of contract.
I've already discussed my thoughts on DP and non-DP squad selections at length on other threads so I'll save everyone that agony again.

But to your point about our playing style, it has already been established by quite a few statements from the NYCFC hierarchy (which includes Feran and Txiki from MCFC) that the team will be playing in the same style as Manchester City, as well Melbourne City. In the last few years we have rarely if ever played anything other than a forward-first, possession-focused style and that is also being instilled in our academy at every level, so New York City will be getting young lads that have been groomed to play in that way.

I am confident that Kreis, Reyna, Soriano, and Begiristain will assure all of our signings fit this system.

Last edited:

That is three questions !!!!

1) So many choices.... but I think you/ we wouldn't go far wrong with someone like Tom Ince.
2) Lets dicount Chivas, a lot of mistakes made there agreed. Even if you want your own matchday identity, it should be aligned to the group.... First Kit as per EXISTING MCFC.... Second Kit Red / White Strips as per Melbourne Heart (Including Man City to replace traditional Red Black), third Kit for all teams chosen to reflect NYCFC by there fans.... Sorry guys, corporate image,& the other two have the history.. but you guys get the third dibs on choice in my view
3. COLE / LAMPARD / BARRY sure, Keeper Maybe Friedel to ensure top class American, dont know enough about the rest.

i put a few names out for DP's. I didnt even think about the other half of the squad to be honest. alot of the Championship players have qualitys good enough for the MLS & would sign for under $400K. When i was watching the MLS, I liked Nick DeLeon, Pontius, Holgersson, Bill Hamid, Martins. I could name a few players who I think could do well & that are fairly young too. Loads of young europeans & South Americans would be interested in playing. I like the look of Erick Torres & Carlos Fierro from Chivas. Who would you like too see?
Great post. I noticed that Chris Pontius of DC United is in the last year of his contract. He has been injury prone so he probably will be in the Expansion Draft for ORL/NYC. So I think he might be worth a look at, at for a Expansion Draft pick.
Bill Hamid probably isn't going anywhere, DC needs him and a Homegrown Player. Similiar for DeLeon.

Remember just like DPs, NYC is limited on foreign signings too. They will start off with only 8 international slots, and thats already down to 7 with Villa's acquisition. So while there might be "tons of Euros and South Americans" NYC won't be able sign a dozen of them. Think more about Americans and at least those players with green cards (Olave, Nagbe, Mattocks, Collin, Nyarko etc). Thats why I like Hangeland if they can get him for less than DP money. Allocation $$$ paying it down maybe?

BTW MLS clubs can trade International slots, unlike DP slots. So its possible to get more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_International_Roster_Slots

NYCFC will push young, American talent through & provide them withh the perfect gateway to become good, solid players

Last edited:
Great post. I noticed that Chris Pontius of DC United is in the last year of his contract. He has been injury prone so he probably will be in the Expansion Draft for ORL/NYC. So I think he might be worth a look at, at for a Expansion Draft pick.
Bill Hamid probably isn't going anywhere, DC needs him and a Homegrown Player. Similiar for DeLeon.

Remember just like DPs, NYC is limited on foreign signings too. They will start off with only 8 international slots, and thats already down to 7 with Villa's acquisition. So while there might be "tons of Euros and South Americans" NYC won't be able sign a dozen of them. Think more about Americans and at least those players with green cards (Olave, Nagbe, Mattocks, Collin, Nyarko etc). Thats why I like Hangeland if they can get him for less than DP money. Allocation $$$ paying it down maybe?

BTW MLS clubs can trade International slots, unlike DP slots. So its possible to get more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_International_Roster_Slots

Get some big name internationals for the DP's. Dynamic players who can bring strength & depth too The squad, lots of good players can Definately be found under $400K a year. I think it's gonna be good too have big names but it will also be good too see Raw American talent in the spotlight & challenging the experienced guys for a place in the team. America has so many good talents playing that could step up too the main Euro domestic teams & play first team. One name being linked is Dider Drogba, another DP slot? At 35, he has all the experience & could be a great addition to partner Villa. Demichelis has already said he would be interested in playing for NYCFC, he would be an amazing signing. Will the staff that NYCFC have, they will get the mix of youth & experience right, and we will see some good talents being pushed through & break into the first team