2017 Summer Signings

This is inside info? Do you know the name and are withholding, or is this the extent of the rumor?

EDIT: Fuchs is the obvious guess. Gaël Clichy is also on an expiring contract.

EDIT2: Can we please target a RB to get Harrison some help?
Yes, I obviously know the name but am not posting on the boards to live in perpetuity for anybody doing a search - that's why I dropped it on the shoutbox. I'd wager a contract isn't discussed 3 windows out, at most 2 and likely just 1 with the way MLS is CAP-tied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
Not so fast my friend,

Spoke to someone about 20 minutes ago, it's pretty much a "done deal" just pending signatures and visas. Not sure why Reyna would say that but I'm going to keep digging either way.

FIFA/MLS rules about talking to foreign players under contract?

Reactions: Kjbert
I doubt it, he'd fall under the Bosman rule, players can agree to a pre-contract with another club on a free transfer if he has six months or less remaining on his contract.

There is a different reason, the club prefers to play its cards from somewhere behind its sternum. The club also hates leaks and as such will do its best to obsuficate all its player dealings in the name of good business practice.

Crooks is the club's public line, not the line to reality.

Sounds like the Danish like him quite a bit: http://www.soccerladuma.co.za/news/...ri-is-worshipped-at-brondby-in-denmark/246732

Despite his young years, Phiri is a household name in Denmark thanks to his impressive performances on the field, and is a legend at Brøndby having scored the goal that kept them in the top-flight a few years ago as a teenager.

Now, with the club challenging for the league title and into the quarter-finals of the Danish Cup, their fans showed their appreciation for the young midfielder as they chanted his name and cheered him on after he stayed behind following their victory.

Meanwhile, Phiri's contractual situation remains up in the air, with his current deal expiring at the end of the season.

Don't see how this makes sense unless he is immediately loaned back out somewhere else until the winter window. Unless Pirlo retires. In which case, your new DP is a guy most of us have never heard of.

Don't see how this makes sense unless he is immediately loaned back out somewhere else until the winter window. Unless Pirlo retires. In which case, your new DP is a guy most of us have never heard of.

Depth, depth, depth. Every time an MLS team plays a US Open Cup game or a CCL game, people bring up the league's lack of depth. Then when we deepen our roster, people say we have no need.

We have 10 games between now and June 3. That's one game every 4.6 days. And after that we start with US Open Cup games. Plus international breaks, including losing Herrera and Lewis to the U-20 World Cup. Add in potential injuries (all are shitty, but be happy our two big ones so far are "just" Shelton and Lopez). Add in 2-3 red card suspensions.

Compare to 2016 (italics made fewer than 10 appearances, *half season with club):

2016: Pirlo, Iraola, McNamara, Lampard, Bravo, Mix, Lopez, Poku*, Ballouchy
2017: Pirlo, Moralez, Ring, McNamara, Camargo, Herrera, Phiri*

This year Pirlo is due for a potentially significantly reduced work load. As mentioned, Herrera won't be here due to the U-20 World Cup. Phiri wouldn't join until August. Pirlo, Ring, and Camargo are all on expiring contracts. How many more reasons can I think of?

Is it a short-term move for an urgent need? Not really, but the depth is welcome. And factoring in long term fit, it definitely makes sense, if true.

Next question, who are we selling for a max GAM deal to afford this?

Assuming the rumors are true that Maxi is a buy down DP I can only imagine that we would need to use the overwhelming majority of our available cap buy down mechanisms on that particular deal, and the maintainace of our other above cap players.

Given those assumptions, I dont think we're going to be keeping Mata for that much longer.

I don't think you interpreted the article correctly. We offered 650k for him in January and they said no. He is going to be out of contract this summer, so we are getting him on a free transfer. We do have to pay them some type of education compensation but I dont know how that impacts the cap.

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan also posted something on reddit about them dicking him over and refusing to release him for the olympics.

I don't think you interpreted the article correctly. We offered 650k for him in January and they said no. He is going to be out of contract this summer, so we are getting him on a free transfer. We do have to pay them some type of education compensation but I dont know how that impacts the cap.

NYCFCfan NYCFCfan also posted something on reddit about them dicking him over and refusing to release him for the olympics.
We're paying 100k to the team according to FIFA rules for raising him I guess? A homegrown product rule in a way.

No word as to what his salary will be but you're correct there's no transfer fee associated here. As for the statement about him not being released by his team, that wasn't me that brought it up but I found it anyways

"Phiri started contract negotiations with Brøndby straight away after returning from COSAFA Castle Cup. Both Brøndby and Phiri stated a common interest in an agreement but Phiri also said that he kept his options open. During the negotiations Phiri revealed that Brøndby had rejected an offer from the Austria side Rapid Vienna. After weeks of negotiations Brøndby decided to put some heavy pressure on Phiri as they rejected his wish of representing his country at the Olympics 2016 in Rio without a signed contract extension."

Original article in Danish: http://3point.dk/skuffet-phiri-misser-ol/