2018 Roster Discussion

I don't see how this is a problem. Just because Villa has only scored one and it came off a Sweat rebound doesn't mean that this is an issue
Agreed. Our TOP complaint after the playoff bounce was we didn’t have secondary scoring after Villa. Now 5 of our 6 goals come from elsewhere and we’re complaining Villa doesn’t score enough because he’s averaging .5 goals a match? I don’t get it, but carry on.

Let me clarify. Then the ball was deep into our defense or during a corner kick, the center backs were towards midfield covering no one. When Villa is on the field, he stands closer to the midfield and brings the CBs towards him. Villa does a quick ball to move the counter into our attacking half. Villa attracts defenders towards him, giving space to others on the field. With Villa off the field, there's less space for players to get their room to development.

How many times have you seen Villa do those long passes from midfield to change the point of attack and lead to a counterattack down the wing?

Let me clarify. Then the ball was deep into our defense or during a corner kick, the center backs were towards midfield covering no one. When Villa is on the field, he stands closer to the midfield and brings the CBs towards him. Villa does a quick ball to move the counter into our attacking half. Villa attracts defenders towards him, giving space to others on the field. With Villa off the field, there's less space for players to get their room to development.

So you’re also happy with Villa drawing the D, leading to more goals from other players? And if that continues, then Ds will adjust, and Villa will be more open to score more. That’s called ‘pick your poison’ and it’s a wonderful place to be.

So after three games what do we know:

- We need a LB backup since Mata is injured again. (It's a shame we resigned him and gave him a TAM contract. He's likely going to miss the World Cup so his transfer value isn't going up).
- A USL defender has beaten out an international roster spot CB for third in the depth chart.
- Tinnerholm can be the best RB in the league. Abdul-Salaam is the next best RB we've had.
- David Villa's level has gone down a quarter to half a turn. That being said, he's scored just one of our six goals. And since Sweat messed up his, it should be 0 out of 6 team goals from Villa. So, from the goalscoring front it's not a problem. The problem is that Villa attracts defenders and opens up the middle of the field, especially on counterattacks since Villa stays closer to midfield and keeps the CBs near him.
- Medina is more direct than Harrison and can be a best XI MLS player this year.
- Maxi has been more effective this year.
- We haven't seen enough of Ofori to make a determination but he should be Ring's replacement.
- Stuver is the backup GK, Caldwell is third.

I think this is a good list, but I think it is too early to conclude that Villa has fallen back to a significant extent. We’ve only seen two games out of him. I agree he has seemed a little off in those contests, but it’s a small sample size at the start of the year.

Reactions: Seven

How many times have you seen Villa do those long passes from midfield to change the point of attack and lead to a counterattack down the wing?
I'm still struggling to see what the issue is here

So after three games what do we know:

- We need a LB backup since Mata is injured again. (It's a shame we resigned him and gave him a TAM contract. He's likely going to miss the World Cup so his transfer value isn't going up).
- A USL defender has beaten out an international roster spot CB for third in the depth chart.
- Tinnerholm can be the best RB in the league. Abdul-Salaam is the next best RB we've had.
- David Villa's level has gone down a quarter to half a turn. That being said, he's scored just one of our six goals. And since Sweat messed up his, it should be 0 out of 6 team goals from Villa. So, from the goalscoring front it's not a problem. The problem is that Villa attracts defenders and opens up the middle of the field, especially on counterattacks since Villa stays closer to midfield and keeps the CBs near him.
- Medina is more direct than Harrison and can be a best XI MLS player this year.
- Maxi has been more effective this year.
- We haven't seen enough of Ofori to make a determination but he should be Ring's replacement.
- Stuver is the backup GK, Caldwell is third.

As long as a team is willing to use team TAM, that's really not a big issue. One of the benefits of the TAM money is that you almost certainly are buying the contract down toa 150K budget charge, so as long as CFG is willing to foot the bill, he was mainly for depth.

I mean it sucks that he's hurt for him and the team, but from a salary cap perspective a 150K charge for him isn't bad.

Reactions: Kjbert
Does anyone know or can anyone venture a reasonable guess as to what is wrong with Matarrita?
giphy.gif

Does anyone know or can anyone venture a reasonable guess as to what is wrong with Matarrita?

Vieira said it was his hamstring during his post-game press conference, and also said they might have an update later this week. Hopefully the team is more honest than they were last week, when they claimed no injuries before pulling the plug on Villa and Tinnerholm an hour before kickoff.

Vieira said it was his hamstring during his post-game press conference, and also said they might have an update later this week. Hopefully the team is more honest than they were last week, when they claimed no injuries before pulling the plug on Villa and Tinnerholm an hour before kickoff.

Villa and Tinnerholm were out with the flu though