2018 Roster Discussion

You have to claim the taxes based on where they are sourced (where you made the money). Then you can get a credit on the state where you live for those taxes paid.

To further expand... if you are playing in New York and live in New York thats all NY income.

If you go play a game in New Jersey. It is still all New York income, you will pay the amount owed to New Jersey for that one game and then you will take a credit on your New York tax return for the amount you paid to New Jersey.
that's not how taxes work anymore, this isn't 1966. the rules have changed so that you don't have to pay the other taxes out of state.

Reactions: Kangaroo Jack
View attachment 8376 View attachment 8375

Ring and Tinnerholm are apparently interchangeable. We better hope Berget never shaves, because then the media will be very confused

Reading that MLSSoccer article. "...from the Swedish capital of Malmo..."

giphy.gif

You have to claim the taxes based on where they are sourced (where you made the money). Then you can get a credit on the state where you live for those taxes paid.

To further expand... if you are playing in New York and live in New York thats all NY income.

If you go play a game in New Jersey. It is still all New York income, you will pay the amount owed to New Jersey for that one game and then you will take a credit on your New York tax return for the amount you paid to New Jersey.
And then NY will come after you because NJ fucks up the spreadsheet filter when they report what you paid.

Then, you spend a year trying to get it proven because the people generating the report that is the “Truth” can’t be bothered to report the actual facts or respond. They got their money. Why should they care?

It fucking sucks. Wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Even Long Islanders.

View attachment 8376 View attachment 8375

Ring and Tinnerholm are apparently interchangeable. We better hope Berget never shaves, because then the media will be very confused
Based on what I saw yesterday, we should’ve gotten that Scandinavian that plays for CP. Looked like one helluva player as a SS, real contribution since Woy (worst manager ever, ever, ever) got him off the wing for once.

Reactions: JayH
SUM sent out a survey today about the draft and a future big deal to be made regarding roster announcements before the start of the regular season. I wrote a whole long diatribe about how they should include cap costs in the announcements and how each team is cap compliant along with remaining cap space, TAM & GAM. I wonder if anyone reads those things...

SUM sent out a survey today about the draft and a future big deal to be made regarding roster announcements before the start of the regular season. I wrote a whole long diatribe about how they should include cap costs in the announcements and how each team is cap compliant along with remaining cap space, TAM & GAM. I wonder if anyone reads those things...

I do wonder how much actual cap space NYCFC actually has. Even if you assume they bought Matarrita, Tinnerholm, and Berget down to 150K (which would mean they've basically spent league TAM and Berget/Tinnerholm have TAM eligible salaries) or used GAM to reduce the budget charges of Villa and/or Moralez, it can't be much.

Reactions: Kjbert
I do wonder how much actual cap space NYCFC actually has. Even if you assume they bought Matarrita, Tinnerholm, and Berget down to 150K (which would mean they've basically spent league TAM and Berget/Tinnerholm have TAM eligible salaries) or used GAM to reduce the budget charges of Villa and/or Moralez, it can't be much.

In past years I've done spreadsheets to try and figure it out. But without knowing the GAM/TAM used, it's pointless. Why it would be nice to have some more transparency. There's so much money in the league these days, I can't believe they adjust the rules anymore to play favorites. No reason to hide what's used, if it's all being used fairly. So let's see how each team plays the game.

In past years I've done spreadsheets to try and figure it out. But without knowing the GAM/TAM used, it's pointless. Why it would be nice to have some more transparency. There's so much money in the league these days, I can't believe they adjust the rules anymore to play favorites. No reason to hide what's used, if it's all being used fairly. So let's see how each team plays the game.
I'm assuming at this point it's being kept quite because a few owners, such as Chicago, don't want it to be shown how much less they spend than others.

Chicago is now off the bottom of the wage scale.

New England is very close to the bottom
If they're able to move Nguyen, they may be at the bottom

Reactions: Schwallacus
I'm not sure why you chose Chicago of all teams to be your example.
Chicago has to have the lowest operating budget. Often trading things such as international slots and allocation spots for Garber bucks so they don't have to spend actual money. Sure, they signed Schweiny, and have begun to show some slight ambition, but they still fall behind most other clubs.

Chicago has to have the lowest operating budget. Often trading things such as international slots and allocation spots for Garber bucks so they don't have to spend actual money. Sure, they signed Schweiny, and have begun to show some slight ambition, but they still fall behind most other clubs.
Well, over the last two years they've spent money to bring in:
  • Schweinsteiger
  • Kappelhof
  • McCarty
  • de Leeuw
  • Nikolic (including a $2.7m transfer fee)
They've been rumored to be in pursuit of Blaszczykowski.

I wouldn't say that they aren't willing to spend money. Especially when you consider Minnesota and NER and to a lesser extent, DCU, Colorado, etc.

So after three games what do we know:

- We need a LB backup since Mata is injured again. (It's a shame we resigned him and gave him a TAM contract. He's likely going to miss the World Cup so his transfer value isn't going up).
- A USL defender has beaten out an international roster spot CB for third in the depth chart.
- Tinnerholm can be the best RB in the league. Abdul-Salaam is the next best RB we've had.
- David Villa's level has gone down a quarter to half a turn. That being said, he's scored just one of our six goals. And since Sweat messed up his, it should be 0 out of 6 team goals from Villa. So, from the goalscoring front it's not a problem. The problem is that Villa attracts defenders and opens up the middle of the field, especially on counterattacks since Villa stays closer to midfield and keeps the CBs near him.
- Medina is more direct than Harrison and can be a best XI MLS player this year.
- Maxi has been more effective this year.
- We haven't seen enough of Ofori to make a determination but he should be Ring's replacement.
- Stuver is the backup GK, Caldwell is third.

Reactions: canchon and Kjbert
- David Villa's level has gone down a quarter to half a turn. That being said, he's scored just one of our six goals. And since Sweat messed up his, it should be 0 out of 6 team goals from Villa. So, from the goalscoring front it's not a problem. The problem is that Villa attracts defenders and opens up the middle of the field, especially on counterattacks since Villa stays closer to midfield and keeps the CBs near him.
I don't see how this is a problem. Just because Villa has only scored one and it came off a Sweat rebound doesn't mean that this is an issue

I don't see how this is a problem. Just because Villa has only scored one and it came off a Sweat rebound doesn't mean that this is an issue

Agreed. Our TOP complaint after the playoff bounce was we didn’t have secondary scoring after Villa. Now 5 of our 6 goals come from elsewhere and we’re complaining Villa doesn’t score enough because he’s averaging .5 goals a match? I don’t get it, but carry on.

Reactions: SoupInNYC