2018 Roster Discussion

I don’t think anyone said Villa isn’t producing or should be benched. Just that the team shows better chemistry when he’s not on the lineup. And the only reason we can think of is they rely on him too much and run the offense through him because he’s so good.
Who said that? Didn't we go through the whole discussion expounding on the idea that it's not Villa people are questioning, but potentially whether our team plays better on the whole when he's out. Check out the quest for everything thread for more info.

eta: damnit, adam adam
I know it's not what you have said, but plenty on here have said that Villa has lost a step and isn't nearly as good as his first 3 years. I've never thought that was the case, and I think the numbers bear that out. You can make an argument that his age has become a problem because he's gotten little knocks that keep him off the pitch, but not that he's been ineffective when he plays.

Whether the team as a whole plays its best with him in the lineup is an interesting question, but kind of separate, I think.

I know it's not what you have said, but plenty on here have said that Villa has lost a step and isn't nearly as good as his first 3 years. I've never thought that was the case, and I think the numbers bear that out. You can make an argument that his age has become a problem because he's gotten little knocks that keep him off the pitch, but not that he's been ineffective when he plays.

Whether the team as a whole plays its best with him in the lineup is an interesting question, but kind of separate, I think.

I'd even take that a step further. Our youngest Villa would walk the pitch in the Kreis days. He just seemed to have given up on a shitty team and even shittier manager. The older Villa we have now, gives 110% because he sniffs a title.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'd even take that a step further. Our youngest Villa would walk the pitch in the Kreis days. He just seemed to have given up on a shitty team and even shittier manager. The older Villa we have now, gives 110% because he sniffs a title.
It’d be awesome for him to get the title this year, and next near accept a 1-year TAM contract (with mutually-agreed option years) to play as a squad-rotation player while allowing another full DP to be signed. He’s smart enough to see his body has crested the top of the hill and constant play will lead to more injuries. And it’s give him a great chance of getting a second title while also playing in the CCL without having to put the team on his back.

It’d be awesome for him to get the title this year, and next near accept a 1-year TAM contract (with mutually-agreed option years) to play as a squad-rotation player while allowing another full DP to be signed. He’s smart enough to see his body has crested the top of the hill and constant play will lead to more injuries. And it’s give him a great chance of getting a second title while also playing in the CCL without having to put the team on his back.

And possible the CWC too! Come to think of it, if Man City and NYCFC both qualify for the CWC, are they both allowed to compete?

I was thinking about that yesterday. Where would you use that available DP spot if he were to take a 1 year TAM contract?

based on his attitude in the locker room during all the behind the scene videos, it seems like this is the case. He knows, you can see it. (His attitude being "I'm so happy for the team")

I was thinking about that yesterday. Where would you use that available DP spot if he were to take a 1 year TAM contract?

Midfield, next to Moralez. If we could hit a younger pirlo, we'll be unstoppable.

It's like Tennyson wrote: "Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho' / We are not now that strength which in old days / Moved earth and heaven, it still beats starting Wallace at center forward."

Since I don't believe Gall ever got a thread given that he was a trialist, I guess I'll post here that Romain has just been sold to Malmo.

Guess we'll be paying him TAM money soon, since Malmo is apparently our shopping grounds.

(no, I don't believe nor want that. Just wanted to share the news about a guy with NYC ties.)

Some interesting names available Sumer 2019 in the CM. Vidal, Mata, Fabregas, Herrera, Khedira.

I'm more interested in right now. Zero rumors for this window yet and we are almost half way through it.

I don't think we make it thru to the MLS Final without bolstering our midfield depth. McNamara and Awauh are one injury away from being starters in the playoffs. Ofori backing up Ring and Player X is miles more comforting.

Kid from the Long Island Roughriders is training with our guys now

Dome said we will bring in a CM this window and one more player. The kid from the Roughriders is a CM but I don't believe that is the player he was talking about